Doctor Who and Torchwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked this episode quite a bit. Capaldi already looks comfortable in the role, Clara continues to fill out the non-companion part of her character ("you're not my boss, you're a hobby"), Moffat and Phil Ford get solid mileage out of the classic Running Through A Hallway template, and the cinematography looks a touch classier than what I remember from last season. The same director shot this as the last episode, but they steered towards what I liked from Deep Breath and avoided the chintzier parts.

Anonymous Soldier #47 Gretchen evidently joins the Roster of the Dead.

I hope that's the last we see of that scene template for a while, I think the point is sufficiently clear at this point.

Oh yeah, and they either shot Murray Gold out of an airlock or forced him to write all new music. I seem to remember some of the action riffs from season 5 sounding really fatigued by the time they were spun up in season 7. Certainly an underrated part of the new Doctor transition, and the soundtrack has been coming from a less obvious, bombastic angle.

This episode did practically nothing for me, and went over ground that was already covered in Dalek from the 9th Doctor's season.

Not to mention that the whole concept, an homage to Fantastic Voyage, was already done back in the 70s with Tom Baker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Enemy_(Doctor_Who)

This whole secret arc with the "mistress" is more annoying than intriguing.

I just want Doctor Who to say "lubricated horse cock" in a scene. Just once.

I've been meaning to post my thoughts here for a while, so I'll quickly go through the first three episodes.

Deep Breath: A very good premiere that nicely sets up the 12th Doctor. While I do think it would've worked just as well at an hour, cutting out some of the early Doctor's loopiness, I had minimal problems with it. The restaurant scene, Clara's attempted escape by holding her breath and the confrontation between the Doctor and the half-faced man were all highlights.

The Matt Smith cameo was very unexpected and a nice surprise. I always felt that the first episode of a new Doctor has a "passing of the torch" feel, like Smith walking through Tennant's projected face in the Eleventh Hour. This just took it to a new level.

I'd say this is the second best new Who Doctor introduction, with The Eleventh Hour still coming out on top.

Into The Dalek: I really enjoyed this episode as well, for a few reasons. First off, we see Daleks actually being Daleks again and exterminating everything in sight. It's been a while since they've actually felt dangerous or unstoppable and this episode got that feeling across well. This episode featured the best of Capaldi's Doctor so far, really giving us a wide range of his character. His bluntness is refreshing and pushes the envelope to the edge of being cruel or malicious, but doesn't cross over. It goes over similar territory as "Dalek," but actually going to the Dalek's shell is a fresh twist.

The direction in this episode was simply fantastic and it's a shame Ben Wheatley is done for the series. That scene where they enter the Dalek's eyestalk was trippy in the best of ways.

I'm glad we got another Missy cameo in this episode. For Deep Breath, I thought she just reactivated the Half-Faced Man. But Gretchen's death and appearance in the garden creates many more intriguing questions.

Robot of Sherwood: I'm not sure if the light-hearted nature of this episode meshed well with Capaldi's Doctor, though I did enjoy it overall. I thought the casting for Robin Hood and the Sheriff was fitting and there was some good sword fighting. I think I need to see this again to get a better read on it.

All in all, I think Capaldi and the subsequent shift to a darker tone is exactly what Doctor Who needed. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.

As much as I thought Robot of Sherwood stunk, Listen was as singularly strong an entry as Doctor Who's seen in the last several seasons. Moffat knocked one clean out of the park here by finally weaving together several ideas whose earlier iterations had appeared in lesser episodes: don't even look, time paradoxes, spacesuited men, a general ouroboros quality. This time I think he delivered them right by cleanly tying them into the three leads (I'm expecting a strong lazarus rebuttal on this point, given how this season's already plagiarized creatively reused some Dalek themes).

To begin I disliked the tone while Capaldi's monologue was going, but as the minutes passed it became clear how it was a deliberate attitude. Good work by the production team- I've got an inkling that this was a more budget friendly episode, but you'd be hard pressed to guess given the script and the director.

Jenna Coleman is from another planet. Goddamn.

wish they hadn't hammered the point home about the barn, with the flashback to the War Doctor. Also don't want Clara and Pink to be tied into marriage already.

....no Mystery Woman!

This one was great. Clara's speech at end went on a bit too long and became redundant. But I'm used to this show overselling.

Moffat not ripping himself off as much as making references to his "greatest hits", as you said.

Coleman just gets better and better. Though I doubt she'll ever top Gillan in The Girl Who Waited.

I quite enjoyed last night's episode, it felt like the Doctor was being the Doctor without all the self doubt of his recent identity crisis, though thinking about it they kinda managed to get the identity crisis stuff into it as well.

This has been the best season since Matt Smith's first.

The last three episodes, particularly "The Caretaker" and "Mummy on the Orient Express," were really fantastic. I love all the deconstruction around who the Doctor is supposed to be, particularly in "Kill the Moon."

I don't think any Doctor Who episode has had the Doctor actually just leave and have everyone else resolve the issue. He's never just left. That last scene from Clara in that episode is one of Coleman's finest moments.

I think this season is pretty weak overall. But I agree on Matt Smith's first.

Kill The Moon was one of the worst I've seen in a long time. The moral dilemma was interesting, but the whole concept was ludicrous.

The Caretaker was great for the character work.

Mummy was probably my favorite of the season alongside Listen. Great atmosphere, and I loved the opening and closing scenes dealing with the Doctor and Clara's relationship.

I like it how interference DW fans are unlike other unlike other DW fan forums whereby they are whinging under the pretence that Matt Smith was somehow Leonardo Di Caprio and Capaldi is something hideous.

Do you this U2 are fans of DW? Why didn't someone ask them that for the facebook interview?

So we had our big reveal tonight in "Dark Water."

The Master is one of my favorite Doctor Who characters and I am glad to him/her back in action. I think Michelle Gomez plays up that mix of psychotic playfulness wonderfully. The look on the Doctor's face when Missy told him who she was sold the threat completely.

I finished all the modern Doctor Who on Netflix and now I feel bored. And a little sad. I'm trying to avoid too many spoilers about the newest season, but thanks to social media, that kinda didn't work out.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I still haven't seen season 8. They need to put it on Netflix! I wonder what's taking so long?

Anyone watch the series premiere?

I thought the episode was pretty good. Not perfect, but generally exciting.

Glad to see the character of Missy is back, as I feel Michelle Gomez does a wonderful job with her. The reappearance of Davros as a child is a nice callback to the 4th Doctor episode that introduced him. While the cliffhanger of Missy and Clara's deaths doesn't work too well since they're both in the next episode at least, Clara for the series, the last scene of the Doctor going back to murder child Davros was a good note to end it on.

I'm a year behind since they put Season 8 on Netflix last month (I just watched Kill the Moon today). I like the contrast between Eleven and Twelve. Peter Capaldi is refreshingly grumpy after Matt Smith.

This season has been really, really strong so far. Even the weaker episodes aren't bad, just average. But the last couple of two parters have been some of the show's best work in years. I loved Maisie Williams' guest appearance last month and I think last night's episode featured some of the strongest work from Capaldi and Coleman.

I'm not overly impressed with this season (they haven't had a great one since Series 6, IMO), but I agree that part two of the Zygon story was one of the show's recent peaks, and yes, superlative stuff from the two leads.

Yeah, that was unexpected. The performances really sold that last 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

New companion revealed. I'm getting an 80s vibe from her. Please be from the 80s. Please don't be another modern-day companion. I'd be great if they switched it up even a little.

Awesome! 2017 can't get here soon enough. Christmas special this year?

Her T shirt is the inner sleeve design for Prince's Purple Rain album. What a weird coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, thanks for the reminder that it's back. I've loved Capaldi as the Doctor. He brought out the best in Moffat's writing, making the show one of the weirdest humored on television while reining in a lot of the Deus Ex Machina crap that harmed Matt Smith's episodes which virtually always seemed to end with a resolution of "I am the Doctor. I am God. I Win"

They probably should never go with an older Doctor again though. Too many kids watching want youth while the fangirls all want a cute face to be attracted to...Capaldi was never going to overcome that hurdle, but he's been brilliant just as the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom