US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an ass this guy is. If you want to fire your Secretary of State, fine. That'y your prerogative. But to do it in this way, with such disrespect, once again reveals what a total lack of character the President has.

Feels like the American analogue of murdering Tillerson with an anti-aircraft gun.

Almost everything written online anywhere about this issue contains a lot of rubbish.

And sadly, social media is where most people get their news these days, so its no wonder the the public (on both sides) is so wildly misinformed on this issue.

Yeah. It's all been calm, level headed and fact based. Especially on Twitter and lefty blogs.

Your almost singular obsession with fringe “resistance” views and leftist blogs is really baffling for somebody of your intelligence. It would be like reasonable people basing heir opinions on TheDonald subreddit and 4chan. I mean who cares what some leftist blog says or whether their tone is hysterical?? These people have no power and barely a voice within their own party never mind the mainstream.

Even if the Russia investigation was/is overblown and exaggerated, there'd still be more than enough non-Russia related shitty stuff that Trump and others in this administration have done to go after them on, stuff that's certainly worthy of closer scrutiny and concern and investigation.

But no, GOP, that's okay, you guys just keep on sitting on your hands and looking the other way. God forbid you actually grow a spine and do something about all of this.

Your almost singular obsession with fringe “resistance” views and leftist blogs is really baffling for somebody of your intelligence.

Well, like I said, a lot of the crap I see is on social media, which sadly is where most Americans get their news (and ironically, the place where they'd be most likely to be trolled by a Russian).

In any event, I wouldn't call it my singular obsession. You should see my collection of Star Wars socks. ;)

It's all about who you follow. I follow all sorts of left leaning folk/sites and never see the crazy-pants stuff you're always talking about, unless someone I follow is retweeting it to show how crazy-pants it is.

yea, i got rid of facebook because i was seeing a bunch of that stuff but it was solely due to just a small handful of the same people who i had known in the past and who were on my friends list because back in the day when you first signed up for facebook you added every single person you'd ever met whose name you could remember.

since i deleted facebook i pretty much never see anything like that unless i either go looking for it (which admittedly doesn't take too long) or on one of the subreddits i follow that repost this kind of content to mock and deride it, like cori said. facebook is a huge source of that kind of craziness being amplified these days, imo. previously you only had to deal with your aggressively-racist anti-vaxer conspiracy nut cousin once or twice a year at family gatherings, and now they can blast that kind of shit straight to your news feed a dozen or more times a day and the onus is on you to actively block it/unfriend them.

It's all about who you follow. I follow all sorts of left leaning folk/sites and never see the crazy-pants stuff you're always talking about, unless someone I follow is retweeting it to show how crazy-pants it is.

Totally agree, I follow very leftist folks (lots of DSA members and weird leftist twitter humor) and pretty much all of them make fun of the Russia hysteria. They hate people like Garland, Abramson, and Mensch because they're so consistently wrong. But, like all sane people they do accept that the Russian government was trying to help Trump get elected.

I don't have an account on Twitter, myself, and save for the occasional political Twitter link somebody shares here, if I do look up a link to something Twitter-related for whatever reason, it isn't related to politics.

And I haven't been on Facebook in ages, either. So I have no clue what sort of crazy political stuff gets sent along on those waves. Any news I get comes from AP articles and local/state/national newspapers and things of that sort. I certainly don't take what people say on Twitter or Facebook or things of that sort as gospel, nor would I ever think to treat them as legitimate news sources in and of themselves.

And if some important piece of news came along via social media, I'd check other sources like newspapers and so forth to make sure it's backed up and legit.

It’s not over, but those tariffs didn’t do what they were intended to do.

This is how you win. The right candidates for the right districts, and the ground team gets out and fights.

You will never, ever get progressive legislation passed without a majority of D’s in the seats. Do whatever it takes to win back the house, the clock on the 2020 census is ticking (and everything).

It’s not over, but those tariffs didn’t do what they were intended to do.

This is how you win. The right candidates for the right districts, and the ground team gets out and fights.

You will never, ever get progressive legislation passed without a majority of D’s in the seats. Do whatever it takes to win back the house, the clock on the 2020 census is ticking (and everything).

I don't think Trump did the tariffs just to help the PA race. He was talking about doing that during the campaign. I believe he thinks it will help him in re-election, and probably thought it might help Saccone as a side benefit, but I don't think that was the prime motivator.

Otherwise, I completely agree with the rest of your comment, i.e. the type of district-appropriate people Dems need to run to win in some of these red areas. That's one reason Ossoff lost a winnable race, IMO. Purity tests are a sure way to stay out of power.

In the grand scheme of things this race doesn't matter much anyway, other than as a morale boost for Dems and a morale blow for Republicans. This district is going away and there will be a new election for the new district (which should be at least a light shade of blue) in November.

Last edited:
If we get a new wave of GOP retirements out of this, then mission accomplished.

And perhaps we’ll stop being subjected to NYT anthropological pieces on these people and why they voted for Trump.

It's a little late for most Republicans to retire, as the filing deadlines in many areas have already passed. Most retirements now would REALLY screw the party on the way out the door. I think most people who were going to retire most likely already have. But I wouldn't be surprised if yes, anyone who has been on the fence about leaving might be a little more motivated to now.

Interestingly, the fielding deadline hasn't passed for Wisconsin yet, so Paul Ryan at least is somewhat of an open question.

One can believe that Russians attempted to help the non mainstream candidates on both sides of the asile in 2016, and that there are many who fell victim to these social media posts and whatnot, without thinking that any one party is the only answer or that every person who has beliefs that are towards the fringe is just a dope being manipulated by the Kremlin.

One can believe that Russians attempted to help the non mainstream candidates on both sides of the asile in 2016, and that there are many who fell victim to these social media posts and whatnot, without thinking that any one party is the only answer or that every person who has beliefs that are towards the fringe is just a dope being manipulated by the Kremlin.
I can agree with this. I think there are some people who would not agree with this.

I didn't have cable TV or WiFi for almost a week because of a snowstorm. The best thing about it was reduction of Trump news, Trump face, Trump everything.

It was like Trump reduction surgery. For a brief period of time I could pretend he never happened.

Tillerson seemed to me to be the only one with a modicum of intelligence. He called Trump some sort of name once, can't remember details. I'm sure Trump has wanted to fire him ever since.

While Trump continues stumbling around in the dark looking for the light switches, the Democrats are laying down on banking once again.

Googled it, last July Tillerson called Trump a moron after a meeting at the Pentagon. #truthteller

Trump told Forbes that it was probably fake news, but if Tillerson did say it they would have to compare IQ tests and he could tell us who would win. Um, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom