US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anitram said:
Obama DEFINITELY needs to answer "does your pastor love America as much as you do?"

No, not necessarily that question, but people are still unsure about his relationships with Wright and Ayers. They aren't going away.

deep said:

they didn't

it was just a small town woman, "clinging"

FROM SALON

About that flag-pin question
One more thing about Wednesday night's Democratic debate and then I'll let it go. Determining which of the discussion topics was the most inane is tricky, but I'd have to go with the flag lapel-pin question.
Early on in the debate, Charlie Gibson said he wanted to offer a question that "goes to the basic issue of electability." Gibson said, "t is a question raised by a voter in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, a woman by the name of Nash McCabe." From videotape, McCabe then asked Obama if he "believe in" the American flag, and why he doesn't "wear the flag."
For ABC, this offers a little distance from the trivia -- the moderators didn't ask about lapel pins, some regular ol' person did. I had assumed that ABC went around western Pennsylvania, looking for voters with good questions, and thought McCabe's was provocative. But that's not quite what happened.
A couple of weeks ago, McCabe told the New York Times that she can't back Obama. "How can I vote for a president who won't wear a flag pin?" the recently unemployed clerk typist said. (Josh Marshall explained, "Presumably, a researcher for ABC or Gibson saw the piece in the Times, figured, hey, this lady hates Obama and is seriously ginned up about the lapel issue. Let's send a camera crew and film her slamming Obama to his face. It'll be great in the debate.")
Or as Will Bunch put it:
So Nash McCabe wasn't located at random at all. Instead, someone at ABC News decided that they wanted to go after Obama on the patriotism issue, and they actively sought a Pennsylvanian who they knew wanted to bring it up. I assume they thought it would sound better if "a typical voter" asked the question instead of Charlie Gibson. "You see, we're only raising the issue the voters really care about," they can claim.
― Steve Benen
:|

I love that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yel8IjOAdSc

Barack Obama is clearly taking that abysmal ABC News debate in stride. He told his supporters not to fret about all the "textbook Washington" drama on Thursday, recounting the superficial moderators and Hillary Clinton's attempts to "twist the knife" on trivial issues. Then Obama made pop cultural history, miming the rapper Jay-Z's iconic hand signal to "brush the dirt" off his shoulders.

That popular youth gesture grew out of "Dirt Off Your Shoulder," a hit song in 2003. As Wikipedia explains, it refers to "getting enemies off your chest by brushing your shoulders off." Blogger Spencer Ackerman, who regularly mixes political analysis with hip hop references, immediately heralded the move as "perhaps the coolest subliminal cultural reference in the history of American politics." A YouTube clip of the cultural moment, uploaded by the Obama Campaign, swiftly drew over 100,000 views on Thursday. And then the mashups started.

On Thursday night, YouTuber Bill3948 uploaded a one-minute mash-up of Jay-Z songs, Clinton attacks and Obama's inspired response. The sequence opens with clips of Clinton's cheap shots, accompanied by the Jay-Z ballad "Moment of Clarity," pivots to lowlights from the ABC debate, and then scores Obama's response with the original "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" track. While Obama brushes, graphics of Hillary, Bill and Charlie Gibson fly off his shoulders. Then he shakes off a kitchen sink -- a nod to Clinton's desperate strategy -- as Jay raps about hanging out "in the kitchen with soda." It's a fun, sharp extension of Obama's call to brush off some of the ridiculous attacks:

Obama really is a Jay-Z fan, too. When asked which hip hop artists he likes in a recent interview, he said, "lately I've been listening to a lot of Jay-Z -- this new American Gangster album." But he also stressed his opposition to the degrading and materialistic themes that run through too many hip hop albums:

I love the art of hip hop. I don't always love the message of hip hop. There are times when even ... with the artists I named -- the artists I love, you know -- there's a message that is not only sometimes degrading to women; not only uses the n-word a little too frequently; but also something I'm really concerned about, it's always talking about material things. Always talking about how I can get something. How I've got more money...

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's painful when Mitt tries to be funny. Cringeworthy.

What are you talking about? Some of those were pretty good.

He's a lot funnier than Obama brushing his shoulder. :rolleyes:

anitram said:
Obama DEFINITELY needs to answer "does your pastor love America as much as you do?"

I must know whether he has the ability to ascertain the emotions of another man before I can vote for him to make an economic decision on my behalf.

Yeah, he needs to get this thing behind him.

People are calling McCain McSame because he'll just continue Bush's rotten policies. The Democrats need to keep linking McCain to Bush.

verte76 said:
People are calling McCain McSame because he'll just continue Bush's rotten policies. The Democrats need to keep linking McCain to Bush.

I'll take Bush's third term over Jimmy Carter's second term.

not me,
ever (I lived through both of them as an adult, barely.)
Carter was not as bad as the right wants you to believe.

and I don't believe for one minute
that McCain is Bush 3

Gallup Daily: Clinton 46%, Obama 45%
General election races remain tight

PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup Poll Daily tracking shows that Hillary Clinton now receives 46% of the support of Democrats nationally, compared to 45% for Barack Obama, marking the first time Obama has not led in Gallup's daily tracking since March 18-20.

it looks like Hillary is going to pull it off
a good showing in Penn on Tues

and the Polls now have her on top!!!

the SuperDelegates will surely break for her now

she has the experience and the Clintons have won the WhiteHouse twice

Obama will have to wait his turn
perhaps he should consider the VP slot :shrug:

If and when Clinton wins Pennsylvania, after being seriously out$pent,

and you consider her showing in vital states like Ohio and her pseudo-victory in Florida........

why would she ever bow out of this race? Maybe she really is more electable than Obama.

I haven't decided between McCain and Clinton.
I have decided between McCain and Obama.

I don't think I'm alone here.

That's not even true, that he turned his back on the flag. She must gave come to that conclusion from that e-mail that was floating around. They all turned their backs on it, it would appear. Oh yeah, his hand isn't over his heart. I remember this coming up in FYM.

obama-no-patriot.jpg

Obama questioner explains why she finds him annoying
Margaret Talev | McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: April 17, 2008 08:40:13 PM

WASHINGTON — Nash McCabe is the voter from Wednesday night's presidential debate who noted that Barack Obama doesn't usually wear a flag pin and asked, "I want to know if you believe in the American flag."

ABC, which hosted the debate, had tracked her down after she was quoted in a New York Times story about white voters in small-town Latrobe, Pa., revealing her as 52, out of work and against Obama.

But to understand why Obama rubs McCabe wrong is to go beyond the question of what a flag pin has to do with patriotism — it's not really about the flag pin, she said in a telephone interview Thursday — and consider McCabe's life. It's no Hawaiian prep school and Ivy League story, unlike Obama's. It's a slice of working-class Pennsylvania, the core of Hillary Clinton's support there.

McCabe met her husband, Lloyd, in April 1983 at a dance. They married two months later. Six months after that, she says, he was injured in a coal mine accident. He hasn't worked since.

They never had children. He had back surgery. The muscle relaxers he took damaged his heart. He's had three bypasses, nine angioplasties, seven stents and a pacemaker. Three months ago doctors found a brain tumor. His choice: surgery that he may or may not survive, or life in a wheelchair.

Over 25 years of marriage, McCabe was the breadwinner. She said it took eight years to get her husband disability payments, during which time they racked up huge bills.

"I was a nurse's aide, a cashier," McCabe said. "From 1996 to 2000, I was a manager of a cleaning company. I started out as secretary and worked my way up to manager, and then the company decided to close. It took me almost two-and-a-half years to find a job that I got laid off from recently" as a clerk-typist. She has a high school diploma.

Sometimes the McCabes borrow money from her parents, who are in their 70s. She has a request in to the local food bank to see if she and her husband qualify.

"People who have sick spouses or children understand how hard it is," she said.

McCabe sympathizes with working-class people who got in over their heads during the housing boom. She opposes the Iraq war and thinks President Bush has hurt the country. She doesn't support Republican John McCain because he's too close to Bush.

On paper, her stances make her as likely to support Obama as Clinton.

But she sees a difference between the two. In Clinton, she sees someone who has struggled for years, just like her, and has earned the right to be president. In Obama, she sees someone who rose like a rocket, always has a smooth explanation for everything — whether it's about his former preacher or the flag pin — and who makes it all look too easy.

"That's what upsets me about Barack Obama," she says. "He takes everything so nonchalantly."

She admits that she's more likely to give Clinton the benefit of the doubt while looking for fault in Obama. For example, McCabe says that she once saw Obama on television and noticed that "he turned his back on the flag" before the Pledge of Allegiance ended. That irritated her to no end

Lloyd McCabe's brain surgery is set for next week, two days after the Pennsylvania primary. Still, says his wife, "We're going to try to vote. I do not want to miss my vote."

From the site containing the photo

What do you think about this email spreading around the net like wildfire?

***(EDITORS NOTE, The email going around the net is a forward. Some say it's true, others say it's false. Snopes.com that was mentioned within the story debunks it, saying it's not true. So that part of the email is certainly false. I am not endorsing any candidate. Not yet that is. I'm still undecided. Perhaps you can sway my vote or others? SOUND OFF - Comment. & Stay tuned for more political coverage and a special edition post on Celebrities and who they are voting for in Election 2008)****

Who is Barack Obama?

ALL AMERICANS NEED TO WAKE UP!!

If you plan to vote....this is something you should know.
The Bible has warned us that 'A man will come from the East that will be charismatic in nature and have proposed solutions for all our problems and his rhetoric will attract many supporters!'
When will our pathetic Nation quit turning their back on God and understand that this man is 'A Muslim'....First, Last and always....and we are AT WAR with the Muslim Nation, whether our bleeding-heart, secular, Liberal friends believe it or not. This man fits every description from the Bible of the 'Anti-Christ'!

I'm just glad to know that there are others that are frightened by this man! Who is Barack Obama? Very interesting and something that should be considered in your choice. If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all your contacts...this is very scary to think of what lies ahead of us here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it. www.snopes.com confirms this is factual.

Check for yourself. Who is Barack Obama? Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu , Hawaii , to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a Black Muslim from Nyangoma-Kogel , Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita , Kansas . Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii . When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya . His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia . When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocated to Indonesia . Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta . He also spent two years in a Catholic school. Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, 'He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school.' Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that that he is not a radical. Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best.

In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education. Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta . Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States , Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background. ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran.

Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches. Do you want someone like this as your PRESIDENT?

Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy.. The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States , one of their own! Please forward to everyone you know.

Would you want this man leading our country?...... NOT ME!!

From NBC/NJ’s Matthew Berger

PHILADELPHIA -- Chelsea Clinton stopped traffic Friday night as she wandered the streets of Philadelphia on a gay bar crawl, winning rave reviews for both her politics and her appearance.

Led around the neighborhood by Gov. Ed Rendell, Chelsea was mobbed by local gays and lesbians, as she walked from one club to the next. They ran up to hug her, posed for pictures and certainly invaded her personal space.

“I grabbed her ass,” one young woman exclaimed to her friends after snapping a picture with her arm around the former first daughter.

“Chelsea, the gays love you!” one fan exclaimed, as she took the microphone at Bump, a restaurant and bar that was her first stop. “Oh, gosh, I don’t know if everybody loves me,” she responded.

Most of those at the bar seemed to, squeezing past one another in the cramped space to get a photo. Even some patrons, donning Obama stickers -- a rally for the Illinois senator had taken place a few blocks away earlier in the evening -- tried to get a snapshot as well.

In all, she visited four bars in Center City, concluding her tour at Woody’s, the city’s most famous gay bar. Getting from one event to another proved difficult at times, as she was constantly stopped by admirers while walking down the sidewalk. She reached into car windows to shake hands and was followed by several young women who tried to pose for photos on their camera phone, but seemed incapable of properly saving the pictures.

Standing with actors Rob Reiner and Robert Gant, Chelsea appeared overwhelmed at Bump when the mob started complimenting her hair, which they had also done several weeks ago when she spoke at a Stonewall Democrats event at Woody’s. But she smiled and laughed throughout her very short remarks.

While she acknowledged she often is asked who her mother will choose as a running mate, this crowd had other questions, with one man asking what Hillary would wear on inauguration day.

“We have to get her there so we can make that choice,” Chelsea said.

At Sisters, a lesbian bar, Rendell reflected on Chelsea’s statement that her mother would be a better president than her father was, and suggested she may have angered former President Clinton in the process.

Rendell appeared to be in his element. As Chelsea posed for more photos inside Bump, the governor held court outside, quizzing onlookers about Pennsylvania history, and grabbing the phone of one voter to talk to his undecided mother. He acknowledged to the caller that there were two good Democratic candidates, but said he thought Hillary would do a better job.

“OK, governor, don’t run my minutes up,” the man said, trying to get the phone back from Rendell.

Rendell has toured gay bars in Philadelphia since the 1970s, he said, and made a similar trek for John Kerry in 2004.

“We’ll see tonight, easily, 1,500 people,” Rendell said. “And they’re all voters.”

There was no policy discussion for Chelsea, who usually fields questions from college students at town hall meetings but does not do interviews with the press. There were no questions about gays in the military or same-sex marriage this evening; mostly just polite chit-chat.

As the tour continued past a bar with a terrace -- open on one of the first warm spring evenings of the year -- Chelsea nearly ran up to shake outstretched hands.

“Are you going inside?” one woman asked.

“I don’t know,” Chelsea replied. “I’m mostly just following directions.”

I always admire Mrs. S.'s ability to present the Democratic candidates evenhandedly. It's not one of the FYI hallmarks, usually, though occasionally. I'm certainly not that generous.

Wilkes-Barre. Okay, the steel and coal contingents are represented. How was the rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom