Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a very long time I thought he was taking the piss just to get a rise out of people.

That's what I thought, too, which was why I continued to try and engage him even when his posts would try my patience.

I miss posters like nbcrusader and 80sU2isBest. I was at odds with them politically much of the time, but I knew I'd always get a decent, respectful, engaging, and thoughtful conversation with them.

Shame some people don't seem to want to have that kind of discussion, because having a variety of viewpoints here is important and good.

Last edited:
I am technologically fairly illiterate so I don't know how to fancy quote but I liked this one:

I argue with liberals on a U2 message board. First off to understand the delusion, practice my writing skills, and twist them into logic pretzels. It's too much fun. Selective outrage. Everything is a conspiracy or fake news unless it's the Russians. I can't take about race because I'm white.

I love how WE are delusional and WE think everything is fake news. :lol:

I've said it since election night - there is NO compromising with these people. Total write-off.

is a standing ovation every ten words really necessary? :huh:

I have said this at every SOTU I've seen, this is exactly how speeches in the former Communist Eastern Bloc countries looked. The mindless standing and clapping constantly, elongating what should be a 20 minute speech into an hour. It's kind of terrifyingly similar really.

I have said this at every SOTU I've seen, this is exactly how speeches in the former Communist Eastern Bloc countries looked. The mindless standing and clapping constantly, elongating what should be a 20 minute speech into an hour. It's kind of terrifyingly similar really.

you're frighteningly right :|

chicken fucking little.

the stock market is the highest ever! so much money! i did that!

but the economy is terrible and america is dying! jobs!

ugh.

am i being super cynical feeling like he's just parading out minorities for show now?

"in the gallery we have..."

*smile and wave*

Aren't all presidents' speeches like this full of clapping and standin Os? I stopped watching them years ago because I couldn't stand it.

V.O.I.C.E. :lol:

"victims of immigration crime-" *audible gasp*

fuck it's really not funny though.

Last edited:
Aren't all presidents' speeches like this full of clapping and standin Os? I stopped watching them years ago because I couldn't stand it.

yea, i wasn't singling out trump. the other side was doing this when obama was speaking to congress, too. it's ridiculous no matter who's doing it.

waiting for any mention of the 8 year old american girl that died...

edit: any of the other 14 civilians maybe...?

edit 2: shocking.

Last edited:
At one point, there was a minute long standing ovation. I mean, I guess it could still be going into the night, considering I shut off the stream a minute into the ovation, but I can't imagine it could have gone on much longer.

That tumblr is about as good as finding out that one poster was stealing his music reviews from Amazon. What a weird fucking day I missed. Glad I stopped engaging with him ages ago.

See I had a feeling something was up with the occasional racism (the pinnacle of which was that ridiculous scale he posted, of course), just going off stereotypes of how the area of PA he's indicated he lives in has a pretty well-documented history of certain punk and hardcore shows getting overrun with the white power crowd coming out of the woodwork to seig heil and act like dirtbags. But aside from just casually wondering if he was downplaying just how far into that stuff he was, I didn't think he was quite as nuts as that tumblr makes him appear to be.

Wasn't there someone else who did that once, where they tried to incite people from somewhere else to come here and try to overrun the place with trolls?

Also a lot of rampant misogyny, references to women being nothing but trouble, an apparent obsession with alpha/beta males, etc. It's actually a tragic comedy in that he appears to be an embodiment of the MRA, white, racist Trump supporter in the heartland. Think of that the next time somebody says that these people are just misunderstood. No, we understand most of them just fine.

Wanna know why we're doomed as a country, because after Trumps talk last night, 70% approve of where we are going. According to a CNN poll (didn't think we could trust them tho)

All it takes to be presidential in this country is not say something completely stupid. Yet these people who approve of him, once the policies are in place they'll be the ones fucked.

And the media??? The ones who are constantly being shit on. What do they do? Fact check? Nope. They praise him for not going off script.

Im at the point that I just don't care anymore. Like arguing with someone who believes the world is flat, there will be no convincing some people that the policies the GOP sign into law will end up harming a majority of the country. So they deserve it. Every medical bill they can't pay, every job they lose to automation, every war we get into, and foreclosure the banks come down with.

The facts have been there the whole time. Sometimes pain is the best teacher. Liberals need to stop coddling the country. Trying to save everyone. fix their party, fix their message, and get ready for 2020

^

That's unfortunately the hard, cold truth. Sometimes you have to live through a political era until it inevitably crashes and burns. We have seen this elsewhere, in places like California, for example, in Ontario, where a political party destroys itself for an entire voting generation because of the hard lines they elect to take during their rule. The Republicans will own all of this in the end, and truthfully there isn't much anyone can do about it in the meantime apart from organize, register people to vote, put up good candidates, fundraise, etc.

I have always said that the Trump victory is a perversion of sorts because those who do well could do exceptionally well, and those who voted for him will be left behind that much more. If these guys like Oregoropa don't care about their own self interest (beyond the sexism, racism and other views that they are now emboldened to share publicly), then why the hell should we? In 4 years he'll still be living in a dying PA town with no hope of a prosperous future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom