'Spiritual warfare' looms - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Like I said, I think most of them have their hearts in the right place, but their approach is often wrong. I don't mind them giving aid, or going over there to help in rebuilding the country. But I've often seen these situations where they go and try to cram their beliefs down their throats. I just don't want to see a group of Southern Baptists rubbing their hands together and licking their lips while they're thinking "here's a whole country of evil people we're going to bring salvation to." Yes Jesus "spread the word", but he did so by actions, he did so by answering the questions of the interested. He didn't walk up to the whores(I wanted an extreme example) and call them heathens and tell them they need to repent. You have to respect these people's beliefs, there's room in this world for many different religions.

Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Like I said, I think most of them have their hearts in the right place, but their approach is often wrong. I don't mind them giving aid, or going over there to help in rebuilding the country. But I've often seen these situations where they go and try to cram their beliefs down their throats. I just don't want to see a group of Southern Baptists rubbing their hands together and licking their lips while they're thinking "here's a whole country of evil people we're going to bring salvation to." Yes Jesus "spread the word", but he did so by actions, he did so by answering the questions of the interested. He didn't walk up to the whores(I wanted an extreme example) and call them heathens and tell them they need to repent. You have to respect these people's beliefs, there's room in this world for many different religions.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Dreadsox, the best thing I can come up with is the quote of an exemplary Christian - Mother Teresa, who on several occasions said,

Quote:
"I love all religions. ... If people become better Hindus, better Muslims, better Buddhists by our acts of love, then there is something else growing there."

'there are many ways to God': "All is God--Buddists, Hindus, Christians, etc., all have access to the same God."

"If in coming face to face with God we accept Him in our lives, then we are converting. We become a better Hindu, a better Muslim, a better Catholic, a better whatever we are. ... What God is in your mind you must accept"
I agree with her - there are multiple paths to the truth, it is up to us to be respectful and loving of other people's beliefs. I believe God works to reveal himself in different ways to all of us, and I am respectful of the paths people choose.

Plus, in this instance, it's just adding fuel to an already large fire, IMO.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
For all of Mother Teresa's good works, she is a little mixed up on her theology.

To the main point, why is there a fear of Christians serving in Muslim countries? Can we let the individuals in Iraq make up their minds, or must we "protect" them claiming any evangelical activity is "shoving beliefs down their throats".
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

nbcrusader, perhaps you should read up on The Second Vatican council and what it says about people of other faiths and then see if you still agree that Mother Teresa was 'mixed up.'
Old 04-10-2003, 08:50 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
nbcrusader, perhaps you should read up on The Second Vatican council and what it says about people of other faiths and then see if you still agree that Mother Teresa was 'mixed up.'
I'll just stick to what the Bible says.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #22
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I'll just stick to what the Bible says.
Sorry, that's the way I gotta go too. Jesus said, *I* am the way, the truth, and the life - *no one* comes to the Father except through *me*.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #23
New Yorker

Back to the thread and not theological semantics.

The everyday people in the Middle East like Iran, Lebanon, Egypt already think we have begun a Crusade against the Arabs. I know I watch their news. I was astonished at how much Lebanon hates us.
Anyway, allowing missionaries into Iraq only reinforces the extremists views among the general population. This is not a wise decision. If the situation stabalizes later then maybe.

Remember how the invasions of South America by Spain and their missionaries are thought of today.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

“There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.”
Peace be upon you.

yin/yang

A coin cannot exist with out two sides.

Rock on
Old 04-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

For all of Mother Teresa's good works, she is a little mixed up on her theology.

Can we let the individuals in Iraq make up their minds
I think she was very clear on her theology. I think it is disrepectful to speak about Mother Teresa like that.

Apart from that, the people there have already made up their minds on which religion to choose.

But I am all for those naive Christians going there, as long as they don´t use guns and knives like the Spanish crusaders to pre-emptively defend themselves, why not? No Muslim who really believes in Allah will be converted, and the Americans will actually go and see how destroyed a country can be after a war, which will hopefully improve their judgement qualities in the future.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I sense a lack of empathy and respect for other cultures.

To the parents posting in here, I ask this. How would you feel if a government sponsored program encourage your children to abandon your beliefs? If this were happening to you I would be with you opposing such activities.

The President said America should be less arrogant.
He also used the word Crusade.

Less arrogant appears to be losing to Crusade.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:21 PM   #27
New Yorker

Amen.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:24 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I sense a lack of empathy and respect for other cultures.

To the parents posting in here, I ask this. How would you feel if a government sponsored program encourage your children to abandon your beliefs? If this were happening to you I would be with you opposing such activities.

The President said America should be less arrogant.
He also used the word Crusade.

Less arrogant appears to be losing to Crusade.
I think all what conservative Americans needed, was a few more Muslims to convert them to Allah after 09/11.

But like I said: let them go there! I doubt they´ll find a Mac Donalds, but let them see the realities of a third world country, including a few stinking dead bodies.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:33 PM

Is it okay for American Muslim groups to go to poor African-American communities here in the U.S. and pass out information about Islam and communicate it to people as a righteous path to success and/or salvation? I have seen this several times here in Alabama, the buckle of the "Bible Belt" and home to many Southern Baptists. Or perhaps this whole issue is another one of those "one way streets" like "diversity."

Aside from that, does it say somewhere in the Bible or some other religious book that we are not to disagree with mother Teresa? I respect her a ton, but I do not agree with everything she said. Heck, a lot of saints have said things contrary to what other saints have said, even contrary to shat Jesus Himself said; how can we agree with/respect all of their words if some of their words conflict with each other? Throughout 1 Corinthians, Paul says things which seem to make women subservient, yet later on, in Galatians, he equalizes the status of men and women (and many other groups) in saying that "in Christ there is no man nor woman." Can I disagree with him on his Corinthian statements, or would I be dissing him?

~U2Alabama
Old 04-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #30
New Yorker

U2 Bama , I agree with your sentiments but you are ignoring the efect of trying t Christainize the population.