Misinformation and Lies = Danger for our kids! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Misinformation and Lies = Danger for our kids!

[Q]Kids get dose of false data with abstinence programs, congressional report says
Ceci Connolly, Washington Post
December 2, 2004 ABST1202

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Many youngsters participating in federally funded, abstinence-only programs have been taught over the past three years that abortion can lead to sterility and suicide, that half the gay male teenagers in the United States have tested positive for the AIDS virus, and that touching a person's genitals can result in pregnancy, a congressional staff analysis has found.

Those and other assertions are examples of the "false, misleading, or distorted information" in the programs' teaching materials, said the analysis released Wednesday. The analysis reviewed the curricula of more than a dozen popular projects aimed at preventing teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease.

In providing nearly $170 million next year to fund groups that teach abstinence only, the Bush administration, with backing from the Republican Congress, is investing heavily in a just-say-no strategy for teen-agers and sex. But youngsters taking the courses frequently receive medically inaccurate or misleading information, often in direct contradiction to the findings of government scientists, said the report by Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., an administration critic who has long argued for comprehensive sex education.

Several million children ages 9 to 18 have participated in the more than 100 federal abstinence programs since they began in 1999. Waxman's staff reviewed the 13 most commonly used curricula -- those used by at least five programs apiece.

The report concluded that two of the curricula were accurate, but the 11 others, used by 69 organizations in 25 states, contain unproved claims, subjective conclusions or outright falsehoods.

Among the misconceptions Waxman's investigators cited:

• A 43-day-old fetus is a "thinking person."

• HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, can be spread via sweat and tears.

• Condoms fail to prevent HIV transmission as often as 31 percent of the time in heterosexual intercourse.

Condoms, used properly and consistently, fail less than 3 percent of the time, federal researchers say.

Alma Golden, deputy assistant secretary for population affairs in the Health and Human Services Department, said in a statement that the Waxman report was a political document that did a "disservice to our children." [/Q]
http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5114860.html

Old 12-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 AM
So Waxman conducted a "study" to support his position. I'm sure he has highlighted a couple of erroneous statements in an effort to derail all abstinence education.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Dangerous indeed. It's completely irresponsible social policy.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

NB...Waxmen also highlighted two programs not filled with inaccuracies.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:31 PM
This is really sad. These kids are going to have a lot problems when they get older.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

at the root of all these abstience program is fear: of the body, and of pleasure -- the shocking idea that we can responsibly enjoy our bodies as adults.

battling sexual urges is almost as difficult as battling hunger or thirst. yes, we don't have to act upon every single urge we have, but i think equipping people to make safe, responsible decisions is far better both for mental and physical health than equating sex with death.

from what i've read, abstinence-only education does delay the age at which sexual intercourse first occurs, but when it inevitably does occur -- outside of marriage, when the participants are still teenagers -- they are far less likely to protect themselves and subsequently place themselves at a far greater risk for pregnancy and STDs.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Discusting.

What great leaps forward this administration has taken us.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Bush/Cheney 2004: Rolling back the Enlightenment, day-by-day.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

battling sexual urges is almost as difficult as battling hunger or thirst
1) I never thought I'd read that sexual urges are as strong as the need for food and water! I feel like I should feel like I've led an empty, unfulfilling life...and yet.....I don't feel that way at all! The root of my abstinence is not fear or denial, I just don't see any good reason to be having sex. It's not a protection thing either 'cus I'm already on the pill. Oh, and if people are so worried about kids fearing pleasure and being in denial of their sexuality or whatever, why don't sex-ed programs deal with masturbation instead of treating sex like it's totally casual and OK for kids who aren't even old enough to drive yet? I'm not saying I'm ready to go on a pro-masturbation crusade, but I think there's still a lot of stigma there b/c it's not even TALKED about AT ALL.

2) I think it can really depend on how/where you grow up and who you surround yourself with. I don't really know how I'd classify my sex-ed.....we learned about everything but sex was very very strongly discouraged and honestly, I didn't learn much in sex ed that was or will ever be useful b/c I have family and friends who set a good example w/ good information and THOSE are the people I listen to. None of my closest friends have ever had any sexual "trouble" or whatever and no, not all of my friends are virgins. I know most people aren't as fortunate, but I really do think your social network is WAY more influential than sex ed. I could compare myself and my little brother, but I don't really want to think about that............
Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

1) I never thought I'd read that sexual urges are as strong as the need for food and water! I feel like I should feel like I've led an empty, unfulfilling life...and yet.....I don't feel that way at all! The root of my abstinence is not fear or denial, I just don't see any good reason to be having sex. It's not a protection thing either 'cus I'm already on the pill. Oh, and if people are so worried about kids fearing pleasure and being in denial of their sexuality or whatever, why don't sex-ed programs deal with masturbation instead of treating sex like it's totally casual and OK for kids who aren't even old enough to drive yet? I'm not saying I'm ready to go on a pro-masturbation crusade, but I think there's still a lot of stigma there b/c it's not even TALKED about AT ALL.

2) I think it can really depend on how/where you grow up and who you surround yourself with. I don't really know how I'd classify my sex-ed.....we learned about everything but sex was very very strongly discouraged and honestly, I didn't learn much in sex ed that was or will ever be useful b/c I have family and friends who set a good example w/ good information and THOSE are the people I listen to. None of my closest friends have ever had any sexual "trouble" or whatever and no, not all of my friends are virgins. I know most people aren't as fortunate, but I really do think your social network is WAY more influential than sex ed. I could compare myself and my little brother, but I don't really want to think about that............
#2 -- i pretty much agree with you. my sex ed had discussion went through all sorts of contraception, followed with it's assumed success rate (usually 98% for condoms and the like) followed by the refrain, "but the only 100% way is abstience." i thought that was reasonable. and i didn't have sex in high school. but that's a different story.

#1 -- let's not forget Jocelyn Elders. masturbation is 100% normal, healthy, and a good way to relieve sexual tension. and if you think about the amount of time teenage boys spend thinking about sex, or popping unwanted erections, it's *way* more frequent than they get hungry or thirsty. we are hardwired to be sexual (so we'll do it more often, and produce more babies, and populate the earth, etc.) i also have never, ever heard of any sex ed class in the US that treats sex as casual and normal for 14 and 15 year olds. but 14 adn 15 year olds should absolutely know how to have safe sex. knowing how to have safe sex is not tantamount to conding sexual activity between 14 year olds.

it's as consistent as saying to your 17 year old, "i don't want you drinking, but if you are drinking, i don't want you to drive; if you are too drunk to drive you are to call me, i will pick you up, and you will not get in trouble because, while choosing to drink was a bad decision, your judgement not to drive was a great decision."
Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

#1 -- let's not forget Jocelyn Elders. masturbation is 100% normal, healthy, and a good way to relieve sexual tension. and if you think about the amount of time teenage boys spend thinking about sex, or popping unwanted erections, it's *way* more frequent than they get hungry or thirsty. we are hardwired to be sexual (so we'll do it more often, and produce more babies, and populate the earth, etc.)
So, maybe like I said in the other thread, boys and girls have WAY different needs as far as sex ed goes.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 PM
I don't want our kids to be taught blatant fallacies in the schools, and it looks like some people are really careless about fact and fantasy as per sexual behavior is concerned just to promote a far right-wing agenda. This is not cool. It's been going on in my state and my part of the country all along. Now it's going to be introduced elsewhere.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:24 AM   #13
The Fly

You know this really annoys me because imo sex ed shouldn’t even be part of public schooling. Its a parents role to teach that type of information to the child but there are so many scared & lazy parents out there who cant deal with it, they lay the responsibility on schools and THEN no matter what they do - teach abstinence or teach how condoms taste (yes those are the extremes...but examples) people have complaints.
So now my tax money is going to promote a religious based sex ed program and a study to find out if it’s an accurate program or not. Great. I didn’t need that money for my own family anyway.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:30 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that it's the parents' role, but of course so many parents don't do it.

This kind of misinformation is very dangerous for kids.

Ideally kids should get accurate information AND the encouragement and reinforcement that it's OK to abstain from sex until they're ready emotionally.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:32 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict