MERGED--> Jesus Camp + Michael Moore and ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Michael Moore And Jesus Camp

Michael Moore isn't even affiliated with this film, just showing it at his film festival. That equals an endorsement? And it sounds to me as if this film is a positive or at the very least neutral and non-judgmental depiction of the kids and their born again Christian faith- yet the view is that people would automatically reject it due to any affiiliation with Moore, no matter how miniscule or immaterial? Isn't that just shooting yourself in the foot? Or maybe it is all just a publicity stunt.

"Ignoring a request to remove the documentary "Jesus Camp" from its lineup, Michael Moore's Traverse City (Mich.) Film Festival ahead Friday with the first of two screenings of the film.

The documentary looks at a summer camp for born-again Christian children, and has won top jury awards at this year's Tribeca Film Festival and AFI SilverDocs Film Festival.

After Magnolia Films acquired North American distribution rights last week, the company asked festival organizers to drop the film because it was concerned that any association with the polarizing director of "Fahrenheit 9/11" could damage its prospects in conservative circles.

In a statement issued Friday, Moore called Magnolia's request "truly one of the worst publicity stunts I have ever seen."

Moore added, "I had no intention of showing 'Jesus Camp' in this festival. The producers begged me to show it. I said OK. Then they sent me the film this week to show it in the festival. (Then), one day before its screening, after all its tickets have been sold, they sent me and the press a fax saying they want the film pulled."

A second screening is scheduled for Saturday.

Because the film presents the material in a manner that is considered by many who have seen it as fair and objective, Magnolia Films president Eamonn Bowles said Thursday he considers it "a Rorshach test. It's very neutral, right down the middle, and different people take away different things from it."

He plans to release "Jesus" in more conservative Christian markets where art films aren't commonly shown, in addition to the indie company's traditional art house venues.

"The reality of the world we live in today is that if Michael Moore endorses it, tens of millions will automatically reject it," said Bowles."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 10:53 AM
People should just judge the film on its own merits and ignore who showed it where. That's probably not very realistic to expect but if it shows Christians in a good light they'll embrace it eventually.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 220
Local Time: 10:53 AM
Re: Michael Moore And Jesus Camp

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
In a statement issued Friday, Moore called Magnolia's request "truly one of the worst publicity stunts I have ever seen."

Moore added, "I had no intention of showing 'Jesus Camp' in this festival. The producers begged me to show it. I said OK. Then they sent me the film this week to show it in the festival. (Then), one day before its screening, after all its tickets have been sold, they sent me and the press a fax saying they want the film pulled."
If one is to believe what Michael Moore says (and I'm leaning towards believing him) then the producers have a serious credibility problem. But that'll probably get lost in the usual right-left fundamentalist scream-fest.

ETA: I don't mean the scream-fest here but the one on Fox News et al.
__________________
silja is offline  
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,494
Local Time: 05:53 AM
i've seen "Jesus Camp."

it is superb. it is everything a documentary should be.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Muggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Posts: 2,033
Local Time: 05:53 AM
what is jesus camp?
__________________
Muggsy is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i've seen "Jesus Camp."

it is superb. it is everything a documentary should be.
Can you tell us more about it, I'd love to know
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,494
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen


Can you tell us more about it, I'd love to know


it follows a few kids (ages 8-11 or so) as they go to a Pentacostal camp in the summer.

here's a synopsis:

[q]On the surface, Levi and Rachael are pretty typical young teenagers; they enjoy hanging out with their friends, listening to music, spending time in the mall, and going away to summer camp. Yet, unlike most American teenagers, they also consider themselves to be young soldiers in the "Army of God."

From SILVERDOCS 2005 award-winning filmmakers Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing (THE BOYS OF BARAKA) comes this extraordinary film about the newest generation of Christian evangelicals, and the parents, teachers, preachers, and counselors who are committed to inculcating them from the start with radical fundamentalist beliefs. The film exposes a startlingly sizeable generation of young kids growing up in a somewhat alternate-universe from mainstream culture. They are largely home-schooled and raised on a creationist curriculum, with extracurricular activities chiefly dedicated to converting non-believers.

Summers are spent at Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire" camp in Devil's Lake, North Dakota, where they make new like-minded friends, pray together, and gain inspiration from Fischer's hyperbolic sermons.

Often disregarded as extremist and marginal, this probing documentary reveals just how pervasive and potent this presumably "fringe" culture is, and the impact it may have-and has already had-on American politics.

http://www.silverdocs.com/2006/films/jesus.aspx

[/q]
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Will Moore edit this film to his liking, which he did with Farenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



here's a synopsis:

[q]On the surface, Levi and Rachael are pretty typical young teenagers; they enjoy hanging out with their friends, listening to music, spending time in the mall, and going away to summer camp. Yet, unlike most American teenagers, they also consider themselves to be young soldiers in the "Army of God."

From SILVERDOCS 2005 award-winning filmmakers Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing (THE BOYS OF BARAKA) comes this extraordinary film about the newest generation of Christian evangelicals, and the parents, teachers, preachers, and counselors who are committed to inculcating them from the start with radical fundamentalist beliefs. The film exposes a startlingly sizeable generation of young kids growing up in a somewhat alternate-universe from mainstream culture. They are largely home-schooled and raised on a creationist curriculum, with extracurricular activities chiefly dedicated to converting non-believers.

Summers are spent at Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire" camp in Devil's Lake, North Dakota, where they make new like-minded friends, pray together, and gain inspiration from Fischer's hyperbolic sermons.

Often disregarded as extremist and marginal, this probing documentary reveals just how pervasive and potent this presumably "fringe" culture is, and the impact it may have-and has already had-on American politics.

http://www.silverdocs.com/2006/films/jesus.aspx

[/q]
Hmmm...their own press release doesn't exactly match up with Reuters said:

"Because the film presents the material in a manner that is considered by many who have seen it as fair and objective, Magnolia Films president Eamonn Bowles said Thursday he considers it "a Rorshach test. It's very neutral, right down the middle, and different people take away different things from it."
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,494
Local Time: 05:53 AM
^ keep in mind that the synopsis was written by the festival in which it won the Grand Jury Prize (SILVERDOCS). it was not written by the filmmakers themselves.

the filmmakers did say that every single person in the film has seen the film and support it 100%.

i would agree with the assessment of the film as a Rorshach test.

i found it deeply terrifying. others would find it deeply affirming.

i also don't see how the words you've highlighted, at all, are indicative of any bias on the part of the film. they would themselves call themselves "radical," and they would themselves tell you that "mainstream" America (they do not consider themselvs mainstream, in fact, they view themselves as a minority) has no idea how big the Pentacostal fundamentalist movement is.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Will Moore edit this film to his liking, which he did with Farenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine?
He's not involved with the making of Jesus Camp. The only issue involved his film festival.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Ok.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
^i also don't see how the words you've highlighted, at all, are indicative of any bias on the part of the film. they would themselves call themselves "radical," and they would themselves tell you that "mainstream" America (they do not consider themselvs mainstream, in fact, they view themselves as a minority) has no idea how big the Pentacostal fundamentalist movement is.
Because the following terms are always used in a negative connotation in print and broadcast media. It is no accident that the media does this. They are painting the word picture with their own views.

inculcating

radical

fundamentalist
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,494
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Because the following terms are always used in a negative connotation in print and broadcast media. It is no accident that the media does this. They are painting the word picture with their own views.

inculcating

radical

fundamentalist


well, again, what i posted was not written by the filmmakers, it was written by the film festival.

and the people in the film would agree with those words -- they see themselves as radical, and they see themselves as fundamentalist, and they would regard those words as compliments.

maybe you should see the film and judge for yourself.

i can't stress enough how good it was.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Here's the summary from the Tribeca site. I would tend to agree that some people have certain opinions about certain types of Christians or Christians in general that would create a bias towards any movie such as this. I would see it and make up my own mind. This summary doesn't exactly seem unbiased- but like the original article says, the movie is a Rorshach test of sorts

"In Jesus Camp, Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady, directors of the acclaimed film The Boys of Baraka, introduce us to children who are growing up as evangelical Christians. Twelve-year-old Levi, who was "saved" when he was five, is a shy boy except when he is filled with the Holy Spirit. Nine-year-old Rachael is outspoken in her love for the Lord. They are home-schooled by their Christian parents and interact with their peers at church and church events. In the summer they travel to Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire" summer camp in Devil's Lake, North Dakota, to intensify their devotion to the Lord. Fischer is a children's pastor, who specializes in tapping into the hearts and minds of kids on their level. She recognizes that this generation accesses information through video, images, and music. Intercut with scenes of the kids is the radio commentary of Mike Papantonio, a Christian who believes that the Evangelical movement has strayed from the original teachings of love that Jesus died for. He worries that the movement's position on the environment, creationism, and other fundamental tenets are short-sighted and will hurt the conservative movement in the end. And where does the government land in all this? The Evangelicals apply unceasing pressure to their elected officials, and have made great strides with Bush as their president. What kind of force will these kids be in politics and religion when they grow up? The kids of Jesus Camp are smart, empowered, speak in tongues, and are determined to change the world."
- Nancy Schafer

The web site for the movie

http://lokifilms.com/site/jesuscamp.html
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com