English Leads To Sex??? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
If you go abroad/to a different region in the US for a while, you'll probably be able to hear the accents really easily.
That's true-I can definitely tell when someone has a southern accent, and the northeastern U.S. people have a bit of one, too (that whole New York City/Boston/Jersey-ish type of thing).

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Now I don't notice most English accents (except maybe Liverpool ones and Geordies [because of the inflections of Scousers and I can't understand some Geordie accents at all!]), but American accents are sometimes REALLY noticable and some sound way too nasal/grating to me now. Last year a friend of mine from college (in Kentucky) was in London, and her Kentucky accent seemed very thick, while I always thought she had a little to no Southern accent when we were in college.
LOL, oh, yeah?

I'm originally from northern Iowa...have you ever had any experience talking to anyone from my area of the country? Or has anyone else?

My dad likes to go online and look up radio stations from other parts of the world-we came across a New Zealand one tonight...it almost sounds like they're mumbling at times down in that area of the world, like they don't open their mouths fully when they talk or something, LOL. It's a neat accent, just a bit funny to hear at first.

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


That's true-I can definitely tell when someone has a southern accent, and the northeastern U.S. people have a bit of one, too (that whole New York City/Boston/Jersey-ish type of thing).


as an East Coaster with one parent from new york (mom, brooklyn) and one parent from boston (dad, all over mass, but mostly south shore) i am just so offended that one could possibly conflate the "noo yawk" with the "pahk tha cahr" boston and the "noo joisey" accents.

just becuase we're 40 million people crammed into a relatively small area doesn't mean we all sound the same.

do we?

actually, its curious. it drives me CRAZY when actors try (and fail) to do Boston accents, which i'm told is the toughest american accent to emulate. notable failures: Tom Hanks (catch me if you can), Tim Robins (mystic river ... along with the rest of the cast). people who can do it: Matt Damon, Marky Mark ... i mean, Mark Wahlburg. obviously, since they're from there.

as for our friends in the UK -- it's taken me a while, but i can tell the difference now between, say, Liverpool and London accents, and i can even tell the difference up in Scotland between someone from Edinburgh and a Glaswegian accent. i have Sir Paul to thank for the Liverpool recognition, and i think most people could recognize a Cockney accent because it's a fairly common stereotype in films for decades.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 11:04 AM
what's worse is when some actor tries to do a southern accent. reese whitherspoon can pull it off, because she's from tennessee (she went to my church in nashville and called me the cutest thing ) other than that, any actor trying to do a southern accent is like nails on a chalkboard. like in the NE different regions have different accents. i can tell if someone is from the city of richmond or from the country.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
as an East Coaster with one parent from new york (mom, brooklyn) and one parent from boston (dad, all over mass, but mostly south shore) i am just so offended that one could possibly conflate the "noo yawk" with the "pahk tha cahr" boston and the "noo joisey" accents.

just becuase we're 40 million people crammed into a relatively small area doesn't mean we all sound the same.

do we?
Haha, oh, geez, I'm sorry...I didn't mean to try and cram it all together, 'cause you're right, there is something of a difference between the three ways of talking over there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
actually, its curious. it drives me CRAZY when actors try (and fail) to do Boston accents, which i'm told is the toughest american accent to emulate. notable failures: Tom Hanks (catch me if you can), Tim Robins (mystic river ... along with the rest of the cast). people who can do it: Matt Damon, Marky Mark ... i mean, Mark Wahlburg. obviously, since they're from there.
Oh, yeah? I haven't seen those movies with those who can't do it, so I can't really say how accurate it is, but I could imagine somebody botching up your way of talking would be rather irritating.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
as for our friends in the UK -- it's taken me a while, but i can tell the difference now between, say, Liverpool and London accents, and i can even tell the difference up in Scotland between someone from Edinburgh and a Glaswegian accent. i have Sir Paul to thank for the Liverpool recognition, and i think most people could recognize a Cockney accent because it's a fairly common stereotype in films for decades.
See, I'm not that well-versed in differentiating between the accents in certain towns-I just know that the Scottish, British, and Irish ones all sound different, but I can't tell what exact part of Britain or Scotland or whatever that somebody's from just by hearing them talk.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 06:04 AM
i was just teasing you a bit, if you're not from the NE then there's no reason you should be able to distinguish between, say, a Boston accent and a Maine accent, or a New York and a New Jersey accent. what was new to me was when i went to a funeral in Philadelphia -- there's a Philly accent that i was hitherto unaware of.

i'm only able to differentiate some accents in the UK due to having spent a good deal of time over there, and also paying attention in movies from the UK to the different accents.

i'm also interested when UK actors do American accents. some are damn near perfect -- Cate Blanchet, Jude Law (), and pretty much all the Aussies -- and some are terrible -- Kenneth Branaugh, Ewan McGregor. and the same applies to Americans doing the British thing. i'm told that Renee Zelwegger and Gwyneth Paltrow do quite well, and others not so much (the whole cast of that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie).
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i was just teasing you a bit, if you're not from the NE then there's no reason you should be able to distinguish between, say, a Boston accent and a Maine accent, or a New York and a New Jersey accent.
Heh, I know...but you are right about there being something of a difference anyway. I can get an idea of where in the northeast somebody is from by hearing them talk.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what was new to me was when i went to a funeral in Philadelphia -- there's a Philly accent that i was hitherto unaware of.
Oh, really? Huh...never heard that one before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm only able to differentiate some accents in the UK due to having spent a good deal of time over there, and also paying attention in movies from the UK to the different accents.
Ah. Well, then that would explain why I'm not as good at that, 'cause I've never been to Europe ( ), and haven't seen many European movies.

That's another thing I find interesting in regards to those whose ancestors came from Europe here to America-how'd we lose the European accent along the way? How'd the southern accent, and the northeastern accents, and all that, come about?

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm also interested when UK actors do American accents. some are damn near perfect -- Cate Blanchet, Jude Law (), and pretty much all the Aussies -- and some are terrible -- Kenneth Branaugh, Ewan McGregor. and the same applies to Americans doing the British thing. i'm told that Renee Zelwegger and Gwyneth Paltrow do quite well, and others not so much (the whole cast of that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie).
I've heard the same thing about the American actors affecting the British accents-yeah, a lot of people say that there's some Americans that are just horrible at doing that. Haven't heard many comments about people from other countries affecting an American one, though. I'd be curious to hear how they do, 'cause I don't think I've ever heard a person from another country doing an American accent.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #37
War Child
 
RA-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 936
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



how far would an american accent (just a sprinkling of "noo yawk" vowels) get me over there?

i promise i sound nothing like Bush.
Depends:

Rich + American accent = any man/woman

Poor + American accent = no man/woman

Yes, we really are that shallow.

Actually, I can be more specific with our women (<25 mainly), there anything less than:
Rich + Any accent + A white shirt with a blue pattern + A ridiculously over-the-top amount of hairgel + Absolutly self-absorbed idiot = Any woman



hey, who can guess what sort of mood I'm in? Roll on the 25th birthday......


( /\ Ignore this post. OK, continue)
__________________
RA-D is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RA-D


Depends:

Rich + American accent = any man/woman

Poor + American accent = no man/woman

Yes, we really are that shallow.


__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel




I don't think I've ever heard a person from another country doing an American accent.

Angela
Kate Winslet does a perfect American accent.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 06:04 AM
Kate Winslet is pretty damn near perfect in most things.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Kate Winslet does a perfect American accent.
Really? Hmm...cool, if I ever get the chance to hear that, I'll give it a listen.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 03-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #42
Refugee
 
Muggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Posts: 2,033
Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Latin girls are freaking hot. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
thanks
__________________
Muggsy is offline  
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 09:04 PM
The trick with accents is to listen and repeat again and again and again. The smaller nuances that you hear but don't conciously notice can be picked up by a lot of repitition ~ I learnt that and won myself Unreal Tournament 2004 for my William Shatneresque Karaoke skills
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 03-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #44
The Fly
 
datatyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 47
Local Time: 07:04 AM
This study proves that if you want to get laid, pointing at your penis and sporting a sly grin probably won't work as well as verbal communication. It shouldn't be any surprise that hispanic teens in Arizona who can't speak English are less likely to get laid since most people in Arizona happen to speak English. Without doing a costly study, I could also conclude that hispanic teens who live in France and don't speak French won't get laid nearly as often as those hispanic teens living in France who do speak French.
__________________

__________________
datatyme is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com