Canada Votes 2006 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The demands for censorship by deleting posts also do a bang up job in showing how much respect some people have for free speech.
Give us a break mate, your facetious comments were obviously just trolling for a reaction.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by djfeelgood
I have nothing against what they do or do not. But I am against having a gay marriage in a church done by a pastor under the eyes of God.

If they figure out or organize another way to 'marry' then so be it. This is obviously the hot button issue of the election. But I'd like to keep this discussion on the more political side of things rather than the religious side if you catch my drift...
What are you talking about?

It is clearly established that no church or religious institution can be compelled to marry two men or two women. Some may, of their own choosing, and if your church does it and you don't like it, leave. But the government is not mandating any kind of religious marriage ceremony.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Gay marriage is a dead issue, the Conservatives can talk all they like they are only appealing to their base. the law does not make it legal to have gay marriage in any Church!

The GST cut is a attention grabber, though a good one. If they want to do anything with regards to the GST scrap the whole thing.

With regards to Iraq, no i dont think Harper would send our troops now but the fact that he would have been willing to when it started tells me enough about him to predict his future response from a call from the Bush admin.

As far as health care goes, look what is happening in Alberta. Klien has consulting agencies that are looking into privatization. These 'consultants' are insurance companies that stand to make the most off of private health care. Is that what we want in this country insurance companies telling out politcians how out health care should be run? If Harper is not for privatization I fail to see the passion Layton or Marin (to a certain extent) evoke on this issue.

Dont get me wrong, Im not fan of Marin or the liberals, Im more of an NDPer, but at the end of the day a coalition govt with the liberals and the NDP is as close as im going to get to see some of my top priorities get passed.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

What are you talking about?

It is clearly established that no church or religious institution can be compelled to marry two men or two women. Some may, of their own choosing, and if your church does it and you don't like it, leave. But the government is not mandating any kind of religious marriage ceremony.
Exactly, if a church permits gay marriage under its roof then it is the decision of that church. Most of the marriages have occured in civil ceremonies.

Quote:
Originally posted by djfeelgood

Fundamentally, lowering the GST helps someone who pulls in 10k a year and 10 million a year. It doesnt make a difference.
It does make a difference actually. With an income tax cut I have more money no matter how much of it I decide to spend. GST cuts are only going to help me if I decide to spend money.
I also believe that retailers may ever so slowly adjust prices upwards, as they know consumers are used to paying XX amount for an item. I don't trust that they won't try to pick up the difference for themselves. I don't expect the receipt for clothes I buy now, and clothes I buy a year from now to be any different.

I posted this in the Au revoir thread because I would like get a general feel of how people think this election will play out. I am looking more for the way your friends, family & neighbours might vote as opposed to a point by point arguement.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774

Comment to Quebec forumites....I am concerned that Ontario won't pull this one out for the liberals, and was wondering what chance there is of Q giving up some Bloc seats to the libs for fear of a conservative win? any chance?

East Coast - last time Libs lost some ground that had always been a for sure in the past...has that ground been made up and can the Libs depend on it or has the blue tide continued to roll in there - I am also afraid that while the east might have continued to lose faith in the Libs but are not ready to commit to blue, they might turn to the NDP and that will F*** things up in the long run if this is as close as expected. Comments please...

Albertans- If Harper gets the nod, will Klein see this as a gift and personal reassurance from God that he is The Man? I think this more than anything else has me worried about a blue win. I almost feel a blue federal win will actually have more impact on provincial politics in Alberta than any other province. Comments please....

ROWest...I never hear anything from your part of the world except B.C. which by it's nature should be red but I don't know...are people there looking to Alberta for the lead, or what is going on? Again, in BC I am afraid of losing votes to the NDP because people don't want to endorse the scandals that have been happening by giving Martin a majority, but the result might be that he loses enough seats and cannot work a deal with Layton ( who lately appears to have let things go to his head) for a minority.

Something else that bothers me is Harpers little swing towards centre in the run up to the election. In the last few years he has been very outspoken and full of brimstone on some issues, and now seams to have toned down the rhetoic to become gentle Stephen, with "Our Canada" at heart. Do hard core conservatives (or those with conservatives in family- ask them) not feel a little pissed off that he appears to be backing down on a lot of things, or are they safe in the knowledge that he will return to his old self if voted in...just wondering how the image shift has been played out to conservatives...

..answer & comment as you like
Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:38 PM
There is a lot talk amongst pundits that people want a change, well, I think the North American leadership will look like Dumb and Dumber if Harpur wins. Whatever happened to leadership in politics, Martin's a doofus too, along with Layton.

Actually I think the smartest people know better to get involved in the greasy world of politics.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Comments on the debate so far?
Layton's tone or modulation is driving me crazy...not his content...his delivery..
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Harper has this creepy smile on after every sentence. Has he been watching Dubya's debates?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Harper has this creepy smile on after every sentence. Has he been watching Dubya's debates?
I don't think he's human.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Harper looks like he is reading from a teleprompter all the time...weird..
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
Harper looks like he is reading from a teleprompter all the time...weird..
He's been using one through the entire campaign, in news conferences and the like...

I'm listening now through a streamed link. A few observations: Martin's trying to come off as personal, but he appears to be pandering and full of hot (and predictable) air. He makes running the country look like a Canadian Tire ad. Layton seems strong to me, better than predicted. Harper needs his teleprompter.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

The sad fact is that we really have no options.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

anitram was right, he looks like he has had the left side of his mouth stitched into a permagrin
<-----Harper

I think Martin was the better speaker, way more comfortable. I think I would feel most comfortable with him represtenting Canada at world meetings. Harper has come a long way but he is still way too scripted and Layton did well but neither of them are people I would like representing Canada on the world stage.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #58
Refugee

I dont know how people think Martin is a good representation of Canada when his company flys flags of other countries!

I would guarentee one thing, if Layton was our leader people would know where he stands because he wouldnt be afraid to tell them.

Havent watched the debate yet, will catch the repeat.

Snowbunny here is my response to your inquiry:
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #59
Refugee

The Alberta View:

I;m one of those people you hear stories about, you know, a left leaning Albertan! We are not large in number but we are alive.

Alberta is, and always will be, conservative. They think that if they continue to vote conservative they will be different. They are wrong. Western alienation is self made. They think they are always left out. Well its pretty hard to be included when you refuse to vote for MPs in the ruling gov't.

In actual fact, Klien and Harper dont like eachother very much at all. And Klien is on his way out as some of the leadership hopefuls are doing their best to get him to leave.

One alberta issue is the amount of money we send to Ottawa. Alberta gives more and recieves back less then any other prov. Sure we are flush with money, but it shouldnt be taken to Ottawa to support other. Now thats not my view but most Albertans have that view. I say that we were lucky to have been born in a prov. with so much natural resources, water, oil, lumber, agriculture. But what can you do.

As far as who I'm gonna vote for. My local MP is the genius who thiks we should take over the Turks and Cacos. Idiot! I tend to vote for the candidate not the party. Though this time I dont have enough time to go to the local debates so I'll just be voting on party. I cant vote conservative, after seeing what the alberta conservatives have done in this prov. it would kill me to vote for any right leaning party. As far as the Libs go I dont think I can vote for a man who has his ships under anything but the maple leaf, that is a huge issue with me. I really dont see any huge difference with the Libs and Conservitives. There are maybe 3 or 4 issue that are different but so much of what they are about is the same or fairly close. I am a union man and a strong believer in health care and or fundemental social programs, I actually love the liberals child care program. I will probably end up voting NDP because as far as finace reform goes I'd rather my $1.75 per year go to the NDP. Also they are the only party that supports Proportional Representaion.

So there is the Alberta view, though not the average view. When your friends start saying how albertans are right wing rednecks you make sure to tell them you meet a left leaning albertan and we are all not like Harper and Klien!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I dont know how people think Martin is a good representation of Canada when his company flys flags of other countries!
Martin heads up an international shipping company, and it's standard industry practice to docket in foreign countries. Harper's trying to make this into a scandal when it's simply common practice in the international shipping industry. what the hell does this have to do with anything, anyway?

this is what drives me insane about election campaigns--dragging irrelevant issues that have nothing to do with the running of the country into the spotlight. the endless mudslinging, the constant bickering has practically replaced the need for a coherent, solid platform. i don't care what you think of the other candidates, i want to know how you and your party are going to go about governing the country. stop trying to distract the electorate with the pissing contest and get down to the issues already.

they're like a bunch of unruly toddlers.

it all seems so futile, because we're just going to end up with another minority government and we're going to be headed back to the polls in another year or so.