call to ban and bury "gay" books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, way too many people are attacking macfistowannabe here. I am a democrat and have nothing against homsexuality and believe that poeple are born that way or some may be possibly conditioned at a young age, but for the vast majority it is not a choice. However, people have taking each small comment he makes and blowing it out of proportion. He has a valid opinion based on religion and has not been trying to force his beliefs onto anyone. Everyone else has been trying to force their beliefs on him. Sometimes democrats and liberals piss me off (conservatives do too but that is a different topic :wink: ), especially after the election. I have never heard so many sore losers. Most of the Republicans here did not gloat but many of the Democrats went out of their way to insult everyone who voted for Bush.

You make some good points bsp77. The election is over and it was fair and square. I'm a liberal too, but I'm ready to move on and keep on working for change in a constructive manner. We need to come up with some fresher ideas. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have these fresh ideas right now. It can take time to come up with fresh ideas. Just because we don't have them *right now* is no disaster for us liberals. It's a month after the election. We've got time. One of my favorite liberal bloggers liked to tell us not to panic. I think that's good advice for what's going on right now.

Macfistowannabe said:
I appreciate that bsp77.

If you go back into the annals of time....

many conservative has been flogged in here.....

:wink:

Welcome to the club.

Macfistowannabe said:
I appreciate that bsp77.

No prob. If we starting discussing things, I am sure we would disagree on a lot but I bet it would stay friendly and civil. You stayed relatively civil throughout despite the personal attacks.

I think I will have a beer now. Cheers!

Dreadsox said:

If you go back into the annals of time....

many conservative has been flogged in here.....

:wink:

Welcome to the club.

This is true. On the whole, though, this is an unbelievably nice, civil place to discuss political views of all kinds. This past year we had a f:censored:g *lawsuit* on one of my liberal lists. There's been some real insanity in Election 2004 on both sides of the aisle but FYM was always a good place to get away from the parochial nonsense I ran into all year.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:
It really depends on your definition of pseudo morals. A lot of the time, we disagree with what is moral and what isn't. Conservatives might consider abortion and gay marriage moral issues, whereas liberals take a look at tax cuts, the environment, and such to justify their arguments. Is Bush the most moral man on earth? I doubt it, he's far from a perfect human being, but those who share his set of ideals chose him rather than Kerry. Yes, there's plenty of immoral monsters on both sides of the fence. I wouldn't consider Kerry one of them.

I do have to ask you about the last sentence you said. Have you ever heard a conservative say that they aren't responsible for their own actions? If you have, I won't deny it. I'm not limiting any discussion on what people find in the New York Times.

The sentence about morals was just an example. It was an example of a gross generalization that does not belong in this forum. If someone does make a statement like that, they better have something to back it up. You obviously didn't get my point.

Yes, I've heard plenty of consevatives say that they aren't responsible for their own actions. That's the whole point, you are making ridiculous comments based on very limited knowledge or extremely biased information...I don't know what the case is. All I ask is that you kindly stop.

verte76 said:
I'm a liberal too, but I'm ready to move on and keep on working for change in a constructive manner. We need to come up with some fresher ideas.

Agreed. That's what somebody suggested on another board I go to, and I fully intend on doing that. What good is complaining about the past going to do? The election's over, we can't rewind time and change it, and so we should just move on and keep trying to do good things for people.

Also...

Originally posted by Dreadsox
So has anyone here read a book that caused them to do something they did not wish to do in the first place?

Nope.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's the whole point, you are making ridiculous comments based on very limited knowledge or extremely biased information...I don't know what the case is. All I ask is that you kindly stop.
And I'd like to ask people to stop presenting conspiracy theories, but then again, who cares.

Macfistowannabe said:
And I'd like to ask people to stop presenting conspiracy theories, but then again, who cares.

Conspiracy theories?! No ones is presenting conspiracy theories! We're asking you stop the generalizations! It's not that hard. I'm not the only one, you've been questioned before. Just debate without generalizations, that's all we ask.

Great, every time I disagree with you on whatever, I'll give you a source, and you will do the same. :|

What would be even greater is getting back on topic. I'll kickstart it by saying the guy's plan is rather extreme, and book banning does little to nothing for society.

Back
Top Bottom