An Open Forum - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 AM
No one should be allowed to post in FYM that cannot be PM'd or Emailed directly. Sorry, but that behind the scenes connection sometimes allows things to be sorted out that can derail a thread. That would be a HUGE improvement.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 AM
I say let everybody say exactly what they want. Moderate if things get down to nasty name calling but other than that I think this forum should be a place where people can express whatever they want.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #18
Refugee

oh and Dreadsox, I dont agree with you. I cant be PMed cuz I dont pay for premium membership....and until my finances are better I wont be able to. I love this forum and Ive been an active participant and I dont want to be restricted from using it.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:23 PM
How do we differentiate between a personal insult and something that is thoroughly insulting? Obviously namecalling is obvious enough. How do we define the grey areas? I could post an example, but I'm sure we're all aware of what topics can cause this.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 AM
On the whole, I think FYM is a great place. It's a place where I've learned to be more tolerant of diverse viewpoints, and I think that's important if I'm going to be a functioning part of a democratic society. I think I'm a better person for learning to understand these diverse opinions. I don't object to a completely open forum. I can only imagine how difficult this forum must be to moderate. It is a job I would not want. I've noticed we generally don't tolerate extremely rude posters. Someone posted some extremely rude notes, and among other things took a swipe at Howard Dean's wife for being Jewish. That was a pretty extreme case, and that poster didn't last as we pretty much told him we didn't want stuff like that here. That's the kind of note I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to see here. But I think we could deal with it.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:47 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

On the whole, most people who post here, band together when someone is being completely offensive!!!! Makes it nice.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:47 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I guess that depends on your definition of an open forum.

I frequent one forum which is populated with brilliant people arguing both POVs, but at the same time it is so open that it's perfecty acceptable to say "Fuck off, asswipe" and flaming is an acceptable form of behaviour. I gather that would be going too far and is hardly conducive to a dialogue.

Whoever here said you do have to censor yourself to a degree - I agree. This is why I have started avoiding heavy religious threads because arguing with people who believe that their way is the only way is like repeatedly ramming your head into a brick wall - you will never get anywhere, because you can't argue with statements of faith. I find this incredibly frustrating, and at times the views are offensive to any sort of open mindedness, so I avoid topics which I know will do nothing but frustrate me to the Nth degree.

I do believe in free speech and no censorship; the question is, can that be carried out while still acting like reasonable, adult human beings? The politicians apparently can't and I'm not so certain that we can either, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Either way, I'm fine with whatever change (if any) is made, as I've always seen myself as very adaptable.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Someone posted some extremely rude notes, and among other things took a swipe at Howard Dean's wife for being Jewish.
Whoa, glad I missed that one.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:52 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
On the whole, most people who post here, band together when someone is being completely offensive!!!! Makes it nice.
Oh, yes, *everyone* was pissed at the anti-Semitic post. That person pulled a disappearing act after we said we didn't want that kind of here.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
oh and Dreadsox, I dont agree with you. I cant be PMed cuz I dont pay for premium membership....and until my finances are better I wont be able to. I love this forum and Ive been an active participant and I dont want to be restricted from using it.
He said PM OR email. Everyone should be able to be emailed, make sure you click the 'allow email' option in your user cp. Of course, other non premiums will not be able to click your profile and see that, but if you need to speak to them or we need to speak to you, you can always email a mod and they can arrange things.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:23 PM
I think that most FYMers are level headed individuals who genuinely want to engage in positive discussion, it is a pity that when you talk about contentious issues or somebody makes a very strong point it can derail a thread.

Moderators can be good, I think that some of it can be a bit too much (personal experience, I know what was wrong with the first one, but the second one on a technicality DOH! ). All in all I think that the ability to appeal and/or edit posts to get the thread back on track after lockage via a moderator could be a good thing, the ability to selectively ban disruptive people from individual threads could also work quite well (however that could be abused), maybe a temporary system where if somebody flames a thread during a more heated argument they are banned from posting in that particular thread for 24 hours with a warning and some time to cool down, could be good in those very contentious but not inherently offensive threads.

I dont like having threads silenced because of one jerk and the inevitable response to the jerk but I reciognise the inherent danger of letting it go on.

Right to say what you want provided that it meets the guidelines and is judged acceptable or unnaceptable by more than one person, or something even sillier.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #27
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I would agree that individual members of FYM need to be able to contact each other. If Elvis doesn't think allowing PMs for non-premium members is a good idea, how do you all think we could get around this? Would everyone agree to make *an* e-mail address (even if it's a freebie, anonymous address that you only use for FYM if you have privacy concerns) accessible to everyone else?

Please feel free to give us other ideas--an FYM moderated chat, perhaps? Some time or times at which a mod would always be available in a chat or IM setting? We are open to ideas.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:30 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah, now I see that evolution thread has been closed because it was derailed, argh. Okay Klaus this one here is about evolution being linear because you dont have PM. I mean this post is one of those controversial ones that we are talking so much about (please dont screw this post up by responding to it people, I really just want to make a little closing statement that has nothing and should have absolutely nothing to do with anything controversial and this is sort of on track, there is a nice little diatribe at the end )

Evolution basically says that according to the reproductive success of a particular animal within a population the mutation will become more prevailant. This does not inherently favour the creation of higher organisms, I think that there are two different thoughts on the subject about if complex forms of life will form inevitably after the creation of the basic forms. Steven Jay Gould wrote a bit championing the Drunken Walk analogy of a drunk walking down the street, he could either make it to the end or fall flat into the gutter, it was purely random if he succeeded or not, same with evolution in this way because you could have an earth where no higher organisms evolved and only the most basic protozoa survived in the oceans never reaching the level of diversity we have here today. Interesting stuff.

And that is what I think of censorship, a genuinely productive discussion about a German Kid with strength has been derailed by a question about homosexuality that was answered legitimately by Melon, A few others and Myself but was then taken furthur as people imposed a morality element there that was totally out of place, that is the problem because when somebody makes a poor statement that is essentially flamebait the others will inevitably pick them up and take them to task (as they should) and it gets really messy. Frankly I think that if there was a real problematic discussion those angry parties should just jump on IRC or ICQ or MSN and talk the damn thing out and come to a resolution without dragging the rest of us in there.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE OFFENDING POST OR PRIOR ONES PLEASE IT WILL ONLY MAKE PEOPLE ANGRY, PLEASE STICK TO THE QUESTION AT HAND.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that having ICQ or MSN contact details could be handy, I agree with maintaining PM for premium members. A chat could be nice for those heated exchanges that happen every once in a while but really is it worth it, there isnt really a systematic problem here that cant be adressed with some minor adjustments or rules, this is a LOT better than any other political forum I have been on, must be the music

A few of the many political blogs I go to have a system so you can e-mail people but their e-mail is masked and it is done internally, I think it basically allows a message which is then relayed to the reciever from the host, could be a feature maybe allowing 2 messages a week for non prem members, or something. So people could send a message of apology or to agree to disagree.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #30
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:23 AM
Thoughts to several comunication methods:

MSN:
Dosn't work in my computer
interference-Chat:
nice thing but you have to be online at the same time like the person you want to talk to (since we're living around the globe it could be REALLY difficult to get in touch with some people).
PM:
excelent but i guess Elvis dosn't want to make it for every member to convince them becoming premium members.
anonymous email:
easy for everyone to install but i guess ~99% won't check their fym-only e-mail regularely.

2 PMs a week would make most sense to me if it's technically possible (hey so i could finally read Elvis' birthday pm ;-)