abortions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2001, 07:32 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Time is the other enemy when making this choice though. like the moral dilemma isnt enough, the woman only has such a small amount of time to decide.

And I'd say re: Dr teeth, that adoption is a harder choice than abortion. In some ways anyway.

Old 11-29-2001, 07:47 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth:
I'm curious, how can one discourage mature women to have an abortion? I'm pretty sure a psychologist saying "it's such a bad thing to do" wouldn't do the trick.
That's not what I had in mind. Anyone can say that. I just think it would be easier for a woman to make an informed decision if she could talk to someone not directly involved.

Old 11-29-2001, 09:20 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:36 PM
I'm of the belief that abortion is no different than murder and should be treated as such.

------------------
<A HREF="http://"http://www.iusb.edu/~preimers/monkey.jpg"" TARGET=_blank>It's a monkey!</A>
Old 11-29-2001, 09:38 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:36 PM
I personally don't think I would be able to go through one if I were to have an unexpected pregnancy, but who am I to tell other women what to do with their bodies? It's every induvidual woman's choice, and I respect that.

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?
Old 11-29-2001, 11:44 AM   #20
Bad Daddy Johnny

I would never get an abortion.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:09 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas:
I'm of the belief that abortion is no different than murder and should be treated as such.
, , :
Old 11-29-2001, 12:16 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
I personally don't think I would be able to go through one if I were to have an unexpected pregnancy, but who am I to tell other women what to do with their bodies? It's every induvidual woman's choice, and I respect that.
So, if I had a siamese twin, and I got tired of having to be connected to him, it's my right to kill him, right? Why not - it's my body.

The idea that laws should protect the person's "right to do with their own body as they please" is preposterous.

In the USA, it is illegal to take certain drugs. In most states, prostitution is illegal.

Sorry, this is one of my main issues. I just can't stay out of it.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 11:36 AM
I just thank God each day of my life that I/we live in a society that not only allows, but gives us the RIGHT to express our opinions FREELY!

I am a Christian and happen to be Pro-Choice. Even though I am greatly opposed to abortion, it doesn't give me the right to make ANY decision for anyone else.

I don't think being Pro-Choice automatically makes you Pro-Abortion. I really don't think that ANYBODY is Pro-Abortion. This is about empowering people to exercise their right to RESPONSIBLY choose what's best for themselves.

------------------
-------------------------------------------

"I have a brother, when I'm a brother in need. I spend my whole time running. He spends his running after me."
Old 11-29-2001, 05:26 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A|catura:
I am a Christian and happen to be Pro-Choice. Even though I am greatly opposed to abortion, it doesn't give me the right to make ANY decision for anyone else.
May I ask why you are personally "greatly opposed" to it? On what grounds?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 11-29-2001).]
Old 11-29-2001, 06:17 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A|catura:

I don't think being Pro-Choice automatically makes you Pro-Abortion. I really don't think that ANYBODY is Pro-Abortion. This is about empowering people to exercise their right to RESPONSIBLY choose what's best for themselves.

I fully agree with you.

I don't think we can impart our own moral superiority onto other people. There are people who don't find abortion abominable. There are people who have absolutely no religious affiliation, and don't believe a child is being "murdered."

Each person is responsible for the choices he or she makes. The rest of us, while we can offer guidance, cannot dictate to them what should/must be done.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:21 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by She ls Raging:
Hmmmm.... this is such a touchy subject.

I myself am adamantly pro-life when it comes to abortion. Mainly because I'm a nurse in a newborn ICU and I take care of babies that are born as much as 17 weeks early and survive. They're such little fighters - you'd be amazed. I dont believe in the whole "it's not a baby yet" argument because it is, and I've seen them alive and breathing at this "fetal" stage. Tiny little things that grow up into big people I'm going to stop here before I go off an a MAJOR tangent!

Oh Raging...I have always admired the people that work in NICU..I sometimes work with the ones that survive the NICU, usually becoming global developmentally delayed children.

Huge thumbs up to the men and women in these wards.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:07 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Quote:
So, if I had a siamese twin, and I got tired of having to be connected to him, it's my right to kill him, right? Why not - it's my body.

The idea that laws should protect the person's "right to do with their own body as they please" is preposterous.

In the USA, it is illegal to take certain drugs. In most states, prostitution is illegal.

Sorry, this is one of my main issues. I just can't stay out of it.
You're welcome to your opinion, 80's, but I am also, and that's what I believe. The way you make it seem is ridiculous...case in point, the siamese twin example. I'm not justifying "murder", I'm merely saying that as human beings we should have the right to do what we will with our own bodies. By that I mean tattooing, piercing, and yes, even aborting a baby (for whatever reason, I'm not saying every abortion has a good reason behind it...as a matter of fact, I believe that every woman who has ever had one never comes to the decision very easily, and has to live with that for the rest of her life.)

Just stating my opinion, once again.

----------------
Love's a bully, pushing and shoving
In the belly of a woman
Old 11-29-2001, 11:09 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I believe. The way you make it seem is ridiculous...case in point, the siamese twin example. I'm not justifying "murder", I'm merely saying that as human beings we should have the right to do what we will with our own bodies. I'm not saying every abortion has a good reason behind it...as a matter of fact, I believe that every woman who has ever had one never comes to the decision very easily, and has to live with that for the rest of her life.) Just stating my opinion, once again.
Well, maybe I didn't get my point across clearly, because if I did, you might not think it was ridiculous. I'll explain it in more detail.

The argument for legalization of abortion is that a woman has rights over her own body.Surely, people would agree that a woman's rights end where it negative affects another life. Well, let's look at a side by said comparison of Siamese twins and a pregnant woman.

Siamese twins are basically two people sharing one body. A preganant woman is much the same. A large portion of the medical community believe that life begins at conception; therefore, the baby and the mother are two lives sharing the same body.

And that's where my argument about killing your siamese twin comes into play. If you are tired of your twin, don't you have the right to kill him/her - after all it is your body. For people who believe that a life in the womb is just as much a life as someone outside the womb, the same standard applies. The phrase "it is my body" does not apply, because of the before-mentioned rule; that your right to do whatever you want with your body ends when it intrudes on my rights. And if a child still in the womb is indeed a viable life, the mother's rights end when those rights intrude on the right of the pre-born baby to survive.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:27 AM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:36 AM
80's, you have to admnit its a clinical example. Accurate only in the 2 bodies comparison, the similarities are slim.

Realistically you are never likely to understand pregnancy, and don't get me wrong, Im not using the "you're a man, what would you know?" argument, after all your points are valid and your opinion is your right.
What I am saying however is you do not and never could know the process for want of a better term, a woman goes through when making that choice. You say what you do based on your intelligence and religion. The fear of pregnancy alone, the thought of childbirth, the external factors that influence a decision like this, you can only see from the outside.
Imagine a being a woman, pregnant, alone with no support, faced with the prospect of raising a child alone, with no money, no material foundations to raise a child. No father for the baby, an inability to see yourself as strong enough to do such a job, being filled with so much soul destroying self doubt that you cannot see clearly. Can you imagine the fear? Can you begin to understand it? Many men face this I know. But they do not nurture this baby for 9 months, they do not make the choice to terminate a life. Of course it's wrong, and anyone here would agree with you. Until experiencing this, most say they can or never will do it, but the reality of it is something completely different. By aborting a life doesn't make it any more right or wrong, nothing makes the choice any easier. If I was that woman 80's, would you look me right in the eye and judge? Would you feel with all your knowledge, really equipped to make an informed decision, one that is beyond the opinion you showed, and one I appreciate and respect?
Old 11-30-2001, 10:28 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Realistically you are never likely to understand pregnancy, and don't get me wrong, Im not using the "you're a man, what would you know?" argument, after all your points are valid and your opinion is your right.
What I am saying however is you do not and never could know the process for want of a better term, a woman goes through when making that choice. You say what you do based on your intelligence and religion. The fear of pregnancy alone, the thought of childbirth, the external factors that influence a decision like this, you can only see from the outside.
Imagine a being a woman, pregnant, alone with no support, faced with the prospect of raising a child alone, with no money, no material foundations to raise a child. No father for the baby, an inability to see yourself as strong enough to do such a job, being filled with so much soul destroying self doubt that you cannot see clearly. Can you imagine the fear? Can you begin to understand it? Many men face this I know. But they do not nurture this baby for 9 months, they do not make the choice to terminate a life. Of course it's wrong, and anyone here would agree with you. Until experiencing this, most say they can or never will do it, but the reality of it is something completely different. By aborting a life doesn't make it any more right or wrong, nothing makes the choice any easier. If I was that woman 80's, would you look me right in the eye and judge? Would you feel with all your knowledge, really equipped to make an informed decision, one that is beyond the opinion you showed, and one I appreciate and respect?
Excuse me, Angela, but where did I judge women who had made that decision? I didn't. I said abortion is wrong, which it is. Or, is it wrong in this world to believe that something is wrong? If you were in that situation and asked if you should have an abortion, my answer would not change...I would say no. I would give you my support, I would help you out and care for you, but I would not support your decision to have an abortion, if that's what you chose. And I don't really care if you respect that or not, quite frankly.
And by the way, you say i couldn't understand it. Of course a man doesn't know the experience the way the woman does, but the man in the situation isn't exactly having the time of his life, either. I can understand it as well as any man. You see, I've been there. 11 years ago, I dated a girl who got pregnant. I had no job. She was a waitress. Times were tough. I cried, I prayed, I felt for her and the baby. She gave birth and 8 hours later, the boy died. So I had a son for 8 hours. So don't tell me I don't understand.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 11-30-2001).]