You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the acoustic version is missing something...like it needs more.....cowbell!

What it's missing is an easy way for people to access it.

I can't find it anywhere except snippets, and it tells me I need to sign up to spotify to hear it. I don't have spotify dammit.

Where can I hear this acoustic version without having to sign up to spotify?

Just bought it on iTunes. I kind of like this one, actually.

I'm looking forward to the handbell choir version.

Not sure I get the strategy of continually re-releasing variations of the same song so far ahead of the album release.

No kidding. A bit of an oddity, but I suppose I'd rather have the three than just the one.

Was this the SYCMIOYO mix? First half Bono sings like my son sounds when he has a cold. I’ll take a strong pass on it.

I was ready to totally dismiss this version but it's actually really nice. I love that B's turned down and Edge's chorus riffs make a big difference.

Nice touch that he's now singing "if you're.." before the "why am I walking away" line. Makes the lyric idea feel more complete.

I feel like the acoustic version is missing something...like it needs more.....cowbell!

Honestly, how many more versions of this mediocre song are they going to do? I thought three videos for "One" was a bit much. This is just madness. And half the world can't get to hear it unless they download an app. They need a fan advisory board. Seriously. What a crock.

Cool clip posted of behind the scenes footage for the next mix of You're the Best Thing! I think this is the mix that will put them over the top.

If they're going to release this many versions, they gotta just put out an EP with all the mixes and be done with it. They've now independently released four versions and it's getting silly and honestly feels a little desperate.

Last edited:
Even the Banjo version of Vertigo is better than this.

And that says alot......and the worst part is that we have 2 more months of this non sense.

Thanks a lot, Joshua tree tour 2017.

I have no fuclking idea why one would complain or feel the need to analyze why the band felt the need to release more versions of this single. It's been fun having these periodically pop up. It's been a fun way to connect w this song. I don't think I've ever had this happen this way before.

For those who say they dislike u2 acoustic versions and yet this one is surprisingly enjoyable: we are in complete agreeance.

I have no fuclking idea why one would complain or feel the need to analyze why the band felt the need to release more versions of this single. It's been fun having these periodically pop up. It's been a fun way to connect w this song. I don't think I've ever had this happen this way before.

For those who say they dislike u2 acoustic versions and yet this one is surprisingly enjoyable: we are in complete agreeance.

Well this one costs money to hear, evidently.

The single version was on their facebook page - free.

The others were uploaded here or elsewhere - free,

But for this one, I have to pay. I don't want to pay, I wanna hear it first before I decide to pay or not.

Oh, the humanity.

It's on YouTube.

When I've had to fork out hundreds out pounds for real life stuff that hasn't been my fault lately, yes, the humanity.

Is it? I can't find it when I search, I can only find the live versions.

125 on the uk iTunes chart now, was out the 200 yesterday. Video created a buzz

I wonder is that now the measure of success. It's all seems a little too late, the song died in most areas, apart from these US radio 'formats' I keep reading about where things seem to move slower than a tortoise swimming in syrup and where The Fly was a flop :wink:.

Perhaps, had they given the fans an actual single/EP (maybe even a cool collectable 7" single) ala the 2009 releases? a lot of acts of their era still do that given their audience - ie:

You're The Best Thing About Me
You're The Best Thing About Me [acoustic]

You're The Best Thing About Me [scifi remix]
Bullet The Blue Sky [Live, JT 2017]
Running To Stand Still [Live, JT 2017]
+
You're The Best Thing About Me [music video]

And maybe had the music video ready to go from the release date? well then who knows it may have gone Top 40 UK, but we got a track just like the previous SOI "singles" plus a fortnight delayed video and a couple of alt mixes in random order and it didn't really work.

I usually hate U2's accoustic versions but this one is pretty good.

I wouldn't say pretty good, but better than the single mix, yep. It doesn't sound like four versions copy and pasted together, as I feel like I keep saying. It's not a good song but this improves on it.

When does the death metal mix come out?

This is probably what it will take for me to like the song.

Not only did they drain the song of its enery going acoustic, Bono sounds like someone gave him sleeping pills.

Luckily I needn't go beyond the Spotify snippet.

I love it when you're the hater rather than me.

Wish I had a way to hear this. Ah well.

You can't do iTunes, Spotify, YouTube...? If you're looking for the 1990s, you're a smidgen late.

For a second I thought you had me bested, but nope:

"This video is not available"

So, it WAS probably on youtube but isn't now, hence why I can't find it.

It literally is there, right now.

Perhaps your country has blocked it. In which case, shut the fuck up, get a VPN.

Though it's uploaded by the band's official YouTube channel, so I doubt it's blocked for your country.

It literally is there, right now.

Perhaps your country has blocked it. In which case, shut the fuck up, get a VPN.

Though it's uploaded by the band's official YouTube channel, so I doubt it's blocked for your country.

Not working for me. And I'm in the UK.

Stop using that language too, how old are you?

I will keep looking, but it seems to be blocked for me, and others.

Not working for me. And I'm in the UK.

Stop using that language too, how old are you?

I will keep looking, but it seems to be blocked for me, and others.

Try harder, cunt.

Signed,
I live in Australia, cunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom