You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people had unrealistic expectations.

They thought this would be the song that makes U2 "cool again", when if you had any sort of intuition on public consciousness, would never be the case ever again. People keep making fun of Bono for trying to chase a hit, when they also are really caught up in being validated about liking U2.

So take one overcooked song add in unrealistic expectations about what a 4 piece, guitar based, polarizing rock band can do in 2017, and you're going to have a lot of people coming down. And hard.

Which is just silly because this is a decent song.
No it's because the expectations were this and they met them in spades. After hearing The Blackout we all knew what they were gonna do. Release a safe, unexciting song as lead single. I think people are pissed because their worst "fear" came to fruition and most knew it was gonna happen.

Blackout is good as Even Better Than the Real Thing

Best Thing is worse than Get On Your Boots

Still can't believe how unbelievably bad this mix is. It's horrendous.

Of all the times they have joked about Edge wanting to remix every U2 song...this song needs it the most.

It has a potential of an 8 but the cut and paste mix is a 2 at best.

No it's because the expectations were this and they met them in spades. After hearing The Blackout we all knew what they were gonna do. Release a safe, unexciting song as lead single. I think people are pissed because their worst "fear" came to fruition and most knew it was gonna happen.

"Most people" being about ten or so on a message forum?

Who were these people? I've been one of the loudest disappointed voices in this thread and I've certainly never wanted nor predicted Best Thing or any other song would make U2 cool again - because I agree, those days are gone. And if U2 would hurry up and realise it, perhaps we wouldn't have got this over-thought, over-cooked, over-produced mess of musical copypasta.

Plenty of people in the SoE threads are obsessed with the idea of them having a hit. Even the reaction here, saying that they should have released the Blackout as a single because it'd have been a better hit. U2 ain't having a hit again guys, and no Blackout or TBT is going to save that.

The best we can hope for is that TBT is the only song of it's nature on the album. If that's true, I think we still have something good on our hands.

Would be nice if this was a non-album promotional single. Letting everyone know U2 are still making new music. But I suppose maybe Blackout & Little Things are already that. Plus, all 3 will probably be on the new album.

Btw, Edge's daughter is on the single's cover.

The chorus is garbage.

Everything else sounds fine to me. I like the energy in the verses. Initially, I was thinking you all were insane, like "what's so horrible about this? the raw guitar, the pounding rhythm, the sweet turns of melody. did I accidentally click on the wrong version?" and then

The chorus is garbage.

I don't even think the "why am I walking away" part is that bad. it's just that

The chorus is garbage.

So basically

The chorus is garbage.

Ax let's be honest mate it was never ever going to be the type of song that you liked, I have been on this forum long enough to even know that

You keep saying this, but I'm not sure what "type of song" you think I don't like! Because if you just mean catchy pop, you might be shocked to know I'm a massive fan of Grimes, Chvrches, Ladytron, Purity Ring, etc.

It really is this mix that's the problem. The melodies are good, the song held a lot of promise based on the demos etc we had heard. It just is so inconsistent, sounding pasted together....even some of the vocal effects (and performances?) sound off...as if this indeed was a new last minute mix as has been rumored. :/

Really don't understand the "a boy" thing. Maybe it's some sort of inside joke Bono has with someone?

They could easily add a "to" in there without effecting the melody.

Of all the times they have joked about Edge wanting to remix every U2 song...this song needs it the most.

It has a potential of an 8 but the cut and paste mix is a 2 at best.
It's so bad and obviously trying to be some sort of cut and paste hit. Why oh why? There's a decent catchy melody in there somewhere. Come on U2, they've written so much good music I can't believe they think this mix is acceptable unless they've just totally lost any sense. It's not even a modern sound pop mix, it's like something from 10 year ago.

Blackout is good as Even Better Than the Real Thing

Best Thing is worse than Get On Your Boots

Savage. :lol:

I'll take this over Boots. But they're both in the same category of muddled and confused lead single. The "old men" of singles. If U2 want to confirm that they're old men, this is how to do it!

Plenty of people in the SoE threads are obsessed with the idea of them having a hit. Even the reaction here, saying that they should have released the Blackout as a single because it'd have been a better hit. U2 ain't having a hit again guys, and no Blackout or TBT is going to save that.

Eh, I don't really wish failure on any band I like - whether it's a small local band whose new album I hope is good enough to sell a run of 500 CDs, or U2. So I'd prefer them to put out a single that does well with their base and has a bit of wider appeal. I don't really care if it's a #1 hit or whatever, but yeah I prefer to see my favourites do well than flop. And so that's why I say Blackout would've been a much more sensible decision than whatever the hell this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom