You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kworb's list is accurate, then that means "The Best Thing" lyric video has gotten as many worldwide Youtube views in the past 24 hours as R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion.

Catchy song. Fucking awesome - got it on repeat.
These guys are 60+ years old aren't they? Is anyone expecting another achtung baby? No one is making songs like this at their age. I love it. Keep it coming boys.....

Btw - although I like the Bass and music of BLACKOUT - I can't get into that song. Seems to go nowhere....will keep listening.

SOI is very underrated. The run from Iris to The Troubles is the best of the 2000's. I even like California a lot. Just listened to it tonight and it's uplifting and energetic. Love the guitar solo too.

I might be in the minority in saying this but SOE has to be pretty special to be better than SOI. The Litttle Things could be a classic with great studio production.

Preach. SOI was an amazing album.

NLOTH was good but too many misses.

BOMB was one of my least favorite u2 albums.

I haven't read any comments here but I think it's fucking great... I don't think I've played a new U2 song back to back like I have with this one since The Fly or Beautiful Day.. love it!

Has the song been played on Australian Radio? Havent seen much media about locally either?

Perhaps the song's problems can be summarised in one lyric: "the best thing to ever happen a boy".

If you can't even get the lyric to fit the melody and just randomly cut one word to force it in, then there are clearly bigger problems too.

`i don't see it as a word randomly cut at all.. I like that line a lot... it's classic Bono writing.

Catchy song. Fucking awesome - got it on repeat.
These guys are 60+ years old aren't they? Is anyone expecting another achtung baby? No one is making songs like this at their age. I love it. Keep it coming boys.....

Btw - although I like the Bass and music of BLACKOUT - I can't get into that song. Seems to go nowhere....will keep listening.

Totally with you on YTBTAM, liked it a lot from the first listen and now love it.

After a week I still feel the same as you about Blackout.

I get the dislike, but I've blasted it a dozen times today and was singing along full gusto in the car. Never did that with Boots or Miracle.
Most of my fave U2 songs are not lead singles. Shit, most of my favourite U2 songs aren't singles at all.
This is fine. Good, even, in it's own way.
Whatever. I'm getting a kick out of it!

`i don't see it as a word randomly cut at all.. I like that line a lot... it's classic Bono writing.

Thank you, your entry for shittest take on the forum has been received and will be considered by the judges.

What about it is good though? It makes no sense, and isn't just tautology, or a mis-interpreted phrase like we've seen in the past ("ATM machine", "get on your boots") it actually makes NO grammatical sense, and was easy to fix.

Just say "and, boy". I'm curious to know what is possibly redeeming about that butchery?

It really just isn't. Those defending it, what exactly do you think he is trying to say that necessitated the line in that form?

It really just isn't. Those defending it, what exactly do you think he is trying to say that necessitated the line in that form?

What it means maybe personal to Bono or the band. Fans can interpret it for how they want to. There are lyrics in most songs not just U2 that have different interpretations and meanings and don't make sense to listeners. One prime example is the lyric "dancer" in The Killers song Human. I think people are just overreacting. It sounds perfect to me and flows well.

What it means maybe personal to Bono or the band. Fans can interpret it for how they want to. There are lyrics in most songs not just U2 that have different interpretations and meanings and don't make sense to listeners. One prime example is the lyric "dancer" in The Killers song Human. I think people are just overreacting. It sounds perfect to me and flows well.

But that point you are making is negated by the fact that it makes NO sense. Multiple interpretations is actually the opposite of that. It's more akin to the Killers line being "are we human are dancer"

To the folks complaining that there's too much going on, Apple Music says you're wrong.

View attachment 11453

This is about the worst way to bolster an argument that a song is good. So what, if it wasn't doing OK on iTunes, that would mean it sucks? Some people like the song, some people don't (I think it's a terrible lead single), fair enough. But blipping on iTunes (OF COURSE a new U2 song is going to make splash) isn't exactly an endorsement of quality, or even really long term popularity.

I went back and looked...there was an entire thread of people celebrating how well Boots was doing on iTunes. So there's that.

Last edited:
It can only make sense in three contexts:

a) joined to the previous line - "the best thing that ever happened a boy" - fail.
b) joined to the next line - "a boy you're the best thing about me" - fail.
c) independently - "A boy." Fail.

Poetic license doesn't exist to allow songwriters to flub a line that makes no sense and have a nonsensical excuse.

But that point you are making is negated by the fact that it makes NO sense. Multiple interpretations is actually the opposite of that. It's more akin to the Killers line being "are we human are dancer"

He left out the word "to" a boy to make it flow better. So to me that's how I am interpreting the meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom