You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And of words to drop why the hell did he drop the word 'to' and not 'a' at least "happened to Boy" could've been some play on words with the album Boy and even if not it sounds a hell of a lot better than "happened a boy"

I've halfway convinced myself that "a boy" is a reference to ABOY, as in, "you're the best thing that happened (all because of you)"

Love the song at its core, but I WAY prefer the Kygo mix. The swirling "be bop ee doh," or whatever the hell he says, vocal mix was just about the best thing I've heard from U2 in years. It's utterly irresistible and made them sound like a modern dance band. The world would've been floored. Really wish that U2 still had the balls to release a song like that to radio.

My thoughts as well. Imo it could be pulled off without seeming like coldplay+chainsmokers desperation.

I hear it as "happen 'a boy".

It's kind of like an 'atta boy' situation - Bono has given the phrasing a fender bender, but it is part of what makes him the artist he is, for better or worse.

It doesn't rankle with me.

For anyone interested at all, I've done a very crude cut that adds the pre-chorus of the Sci-Fi mix into single version. The timing is slightly off because, well, I can't be bothered any more.

I did this mainly because I think the biggest issue with the song is that Edge's riff going form that section of the song has neutered the build-up portion. Anyway, feel free to listen:

https://clyp.it/qvlegeot?token=cbdd3f858455667ad8b2061c4178a83c

Thank you for this!! :applaud: That little bit of riffing adds a lot and is my biggest gripe with the single mix as well. Boggles my mind why they let the pre-chorus sound so bare.

I heard the tune and I like it. I've played it 6 times in a row. What the heck is this KYGO mix?
KYGO sounds like it's some sort of industrial dish detergent. :lol:

Several hours later, it has really grown on me. I'm appreciating a very strong vocal melody and structured songwriting over some arrangement and production choices that threw me for a loop at first. Much poppier than U2's output since Atomic Bomb. Even liking the instrumental bridge. Should make for a fun little B-Stage song, sorta like Sweetest Thing on IE.

What's the Sci-Fi mix everyone is talking about? Where can I listen to it?

U2 released two versions for radio adds. The main single mix (on streaming and iTunes) and a more ambient/relaxed version called the Sci-Fi Soul Mix.

Both are listenable on this page: U2 “YOU’RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME” | See and Hear What's Popular on Radio This Week

But here's a direct (more reliable link) to just the Sci-Fi Soul Mix file: http://playiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/U2-Youre-The-Best-Thing-About-Me-Sci-Fi-Soul-Mix.mp3

Can you imagine if the lyric was:

'Frozen at the ATM machine a boy, Roy'?

We would shut the fucking internet down.

There would be a spike in aneurysms across the globe.

Or
This band has lost me. It's been a fun ride but Im on to better things.

Then 6 hours later

You know what I listened to it 42 times in a row and it is a masterpiece.

The U2 fan base is like dating the most psycho boyfriend/girlfriend ever. BTW I am referring to myself as well!!! Again this has been another awesome day to be a fan....we got new music!!! I am becoming more and more grateful we get new music. Today was the first time I ever got to hear Dave Fanning premier a song live. Very cool!!!

Just tried it again. It just sounds so spliced and disjointed still. Sounds like a rough demo (and not in a good kind of way) reminds me of a mashup. And I still cant warm to the cheesy Edge vocal part. The production is just so poor which doesnt help.

I dont mind the first min just straight up pop kinda vibe which cool with.... but it just gets all over the shot after that.

I also love how Larry and Adam are in the mix more.... That is good!

If it wasnt U2 I would skip it on a playlist, which is my biggest test.

Last edited:
Off to bed. Fun day or U2 chat all over the web, radio interviews, hot takes from the fans... Will look back fondly on these days!

Such a shame about the disjointed mix. Ah well, still an enjoyable tune but it doesn't come close to Blackout for me. Bring on SOE.

That may be a bit lofty, but I hope so! Maybe by 11 or 12 at night, they may get there. I would think the Fallon perormance will give it a boost for a couple days after that.

Glad to see it's getting some attention. hope radio grabs it.

It's at 400k now. It will be at 1 million by noon ET tomorrow...easily! If I'm wrong, Mikal will buy you lunch.

Don't you think views would temper off after the initial announcement/press day? I don't see how that many views could be accumulated between now and then.

U2 released two versions for radio adds. The main single mix (on streaming and iTunes) and a more ambient/relaxed version called the Sci-Fi Soul Mix.

Both are listenable on this page: U2 “YOU’RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME” | See and Hear What's Popular on Radio This Week

But here's a direct (more reliable link) to just the Sci-Fi Soul Mix file: http://playiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/U2-Youre-The-Best-Thing-About-Me-Sci-Fi-Soul-Mix.mp3

Oh, got it now! These days have been so busy that I barely had the time to listen to the single version properly. Thanks! ;)

"The best thing that ever happened, ahoy!" ?

Hilarity aside, I can't get the verse out of my head. I wish they would've built the chorus on top of the verse chords and rhythm because I want to keep riding that groove.

Don't you think views would temper off after the initial announcement/press day? I don't see how that many views could be accumulated between now and then.

I think views are only going to grow faster. Granted it's just a lyric video ( a well done one though) but I think this song is going to be pushed on radio world wide pretty hard. This song, while not my cup of tea (it's growing on me) is catchy as hell and appeals to the masses.

I might be wrong but I think this is going to be a hit for them.

I've only listened to it twice, but I think it's pretty good for a radio single. I liked the harder sound of Blackout, but this song is catchier and poppier, so maybe it'll have more appeal. We'll see how long it stays on the radio. Every Breaking Wave was only played for a few weeks before it vanished forever; that was the the last new U2 song I heard on my local stations.

YouTube views is actually a bit disappointing. We need to wait until 24-48 hours after Fallon to see if there is a bump

Yep, the current singles tracking week ends in exactly 24 hours in America and these are the stats we have so far:
7,288 sales in the US
400,000 Youtube streams worldwide; unknown quantity in US
Spotify figures not updated yet, but would assume ~250,000 worldwide so far; unknown quantity in US

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom