You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much it seems.

My initial disappointment was mostly because of what the beach clip sounded like. I am still dumbfounded about removing Edge's riff from the first half of the chorus.

That said, I woke up half an hour ago wanting to hear it again. Theres something there, and I need to get over my expectations.

Dan I agree there is something there. It keeps growing on me. My wife loved it immediately and said that is going to be big.

Number 17 on the uk iTunes, it was 62 last time I looked

Why wasn't the song released on a Friday? It would have all week to chart then

I was very unimpressed when I first heard this, and hate how boring and disjointed the production is. Then I heard scifi soul mix - digging it quite a bit.

I don't think we're all up in arms about the song being catchy or not I think they fumbled the structure and production of the song. It could be a great song that they fucking destroyed.

This is the kind of last, climactic song played at an indie disco in 1993

And in these toughest of times I think the rest of the world may just find it kind of....refreshing

Good U2 doesn't have to be dark and cinematic - just exuberant

Will hate myself in the morning....

I think you guys are over complicating things. The song is not that dense where it's impossible to find a pop song. I think it's pretty damn straightforward.

Agree 100%. The melody is so instant.
In my opinion it is far and away their best shot at a hit single since Vertigo. It makes Blackout seem so forgettable in comparison (although I've varmed a bit to it after repeat listens).

And I'll say it again: Edge's singing is the best <3

In my opinion it is far and away their best shot at a hit single since Vertigo. It makes Blackout seem so forgettable in comparison (although I've varmed a bit to it after repeat listens).

Yep yep yep. I thought TBT would come out as too juvenile and try-hard. I think the end result was a fantastic pop song. I honestly don't get the complaints about the production. It sounds great. I think U2 finally has a new hit. Probably won't chart as well as Vertigo, but the band has to be feeling pretty good.

So why not release the Sci-Fi Soul mix and/or Kygo mix with the single?

Is the Sci-Fi Soul mix just a promo release?

I'm wondering - is sci-fi soul mix the version they had before deciding to re-record a couple of weeks ago?

I am begging them to put the Sci-Fi Soul mix on the album and make the "original version" a b-side, similar to Electrical Storm.

The Sci-Fi Soul mix is so good, and the original is so mediocre. Funny what a different production makes.

I am begging them to put the Sci-Fi Soul mix on the album and make the "original version" a b-side, similar to Electrical Storm.

The Sci-Fi Soul mix is so good, and the original is so mediocre. Funny what a different production makes.

This x100.

I just listened to both mixes back to back. I do prefer the alternate mix, but I caught myself bopping along in my seat to both versions. Definitely growing on me. Good little pop tune.

It would be just right if there was a brief pause right at the end before one last "you're the best thing!" and then a quick stop ending.

Man, I wish I had time to make a remix but I'm rusty and don't have days on end to sit at the computer.

Also - what's with the transition to the second verse? So jarring and clunky. "Why am I walking away" would have worked as a transition into the second verse as well.

Yeah, or maybe "you save me from myself" which was a line in the Kygo version.

Right? Personally, the album version of the song itself sounded better on the playiga page than on the youtube page (and especially compared to the 2FM stream).

But yeah this Sci Fi Soul mix is a lot better, much more cohesive. Much like how the full band version of Electrical Storm was much better than the William Orbit version.

It's the BEST mix for me...it's the kind of treble that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom