You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I started typing a post in disagreement, but I guess I can't name a lead single that I like less with much certainty. Maybe Numb? But Numb was a... special circumstance of a song. I guess Fire?

Doesn't make TBT a bad song - it's not, and I'm happy to have it - but it's also relatively bland by U2 standards.

Exactly!

As I said, I don't think it's a bad song, but as a first single? Dunno. Maybe I just expect to much. Bland is as good a word as any I guess. Again, this is the type of leftover the used to stick on a soundtrack. And where is The Edge?

Still, I suppose it sounds like lot of pop songs you hear on the radio. But really, I just can't stomach making the "at least U2 is tying to stay relevant" excuse anymore. They are SO much better than this. Or at least they used to be.

Like you, I'm glad to have a new U2 single. But to me it's completely disposable and it will inevitably be another one and done song in terms of future tours.

Last edited:
I wasn't crazy about the Kygo mix, so my expectations were low, but I ended up really liking this (especially the bridge, which was a nice surprise).

My only real issue is the somewhat abrupt beginning and ending. Wonder if those play better on the album, though.

The Kygo mix is just as awkward and disposable as nearly every other U2 remix. I didn't listen to it before the album version because I didn't want it colouring my expectations for the track.

It's ok. It's definitely not the disaster some are making it out to be but I do think it's kind of forgettable. It has a nice hook and some interesting things going on but the abruptness is a little off-putting. The Sci-fi mix is a definite improvement. I don't think the more "raw" treatment of the single version suits the song. I'm usually not one for overt studio polish but I think this song actually calls for it.

I wasn't crazy about the Kygo mix, so my expectations were low, but I ended up really liking this (especially the bridge, which was a nice surprise).

My only real issue is the somewhat abrupt beginning and ending. Wonder if those play better on the album, though.

Yeah, I really wish they did the full chorus one more time.

I agree that this song suffered "U2 syndrome" - sitting on it for months, only to second-guess and tinker days before it's released to the world.

Again, to be fair, this is pretty much every musician... except this band talks about doing it and it's later remembered when we hear these songs for the first time. Then the talk shifts to the "early version" of NLOTH, SOI, etc. and how it must be more pure or better somehow and so forth.

The Kygo mix is just as awkward and disposable as nearly every other U2 remix. I didn't listen to it before the album version because I didn't want it colouring my expectations for the track.

Can someone post a link to this again? I kind of want to see now where it leads me since I'm in a similar situation here.

Not really a review from Spin, but they say - Watch the lyric video for the band’s new slice of soaring, romantic dance-rock below.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a single bad review from a professional critic for this song. Not to say they've been super-impressed either, but at least very much on board. I've seen several who thought it plenty better than Blackout (which I disagree with, but hey, TBT is the single so it's good if people enjoy it).

Sorry, but do the "professionals" ever write bad reviews about U2?

There have been a few here and there (some places have been particularly harsh) but for the most part the mainstream music press loves U2 and pretty much gushes about whatever they put out. I think it's helpful to remember that theres is a LOT of goodwill towards U2 among the music press (and rightly so they're among the nicest guys in the business) and I think a lot of critics generally give U2 the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
How is 2:47 fitting into the formulae (is there one?) of a simple pop song? Is that bass really copying pop song? And the drums? Really? I actually do not believe anyone think that. Would be stupid. The chorus? Sure, maybe, but the melody is surrounded by so much more.

This is what I can expect and accept from a first single from an album about Experience. The instrumental is challenging enough, I think. I am old enough to appreciate those values that are in the lyrics. I have ventured beyond suicide, to put it like that, as have U2. I do not see how love is in any way lightweight. Because this is not about a teenage crush, which I certainly would associate with a lightweight pop song. It is deeper than that. Darkness is not by default quality (yeah, that comment is to everyone here).

But never mind. U2 is where they are, and of course these lyrics will not appeal to a 18-25 year old, thank god. But I do not think that is what they want, either. This is more personal and mature, and I think we all knew that it would be - considering the Innocence and Experience concept - from the tour and all.

To me this is about a boy, who is a man, who is uncertain if he did things right with another person that offered her/his life to him. I can relate. Oh, believe me I can relate. :doh: Maybe you will think that I am reading to much into this, but that is ok. I invoke the right to interpret lyrics and poems as I want.

So that is the lyrics. But the music? I am sure this is more complex than a simple pop song, and there are layers here that people are still investigating and trying to wrap their heads around.

POP? No.

:hyper::hyper:

Last edited:

There have been a few here and there (some places have been particularly harsh) but for the most part the mainstream music press loves U2 and pretty much gushes about whatever they put out. I think it's helpful to remember that theres is a LOT of goodwill towards U2 among the music press (and rightly so they're among the nicest guys in the business) and I think a lot of critics generally give U2 the benefit of the doubt.

Rolling Stone definitely falls into that group (at least as long as Jann Wenner runs things there). The others, I wonder... I've definitely read reviews where they didn't get so much love for new music or the tour, but can't remember if that was really mainstream press outlets or outside of it.

Rolling Stone definitely falls into that group (at least as long as Jann Wenner runs things there). The others, I wonder... I've definitely read reviews where they didn't get so much love for new music or the tour, but can't remember if that was really mainstream press outlets or outside of it.

Spin has not been kind the last decade, NME despises them, Pitchfork, Stereogum and COS have all been really down on them for some time.

To see these outlets give them positive (at least not negative) feedback is saying something.

It's a good pop song. It should have been released in the early summer, but it is what it is.

That isn't my type of music. I doubt I will listen to it a lot. But as a stand out single from an album in 2017, I think it works exactly as intended. And, yeah...it sounds like new U2. Because it is. And it sounds like a bouncy pop tune. Because it is.

I doubt I will be looking for it to listen to, but it is pleasant enough and does what I think it intends to do, which is earworm the listener and make the foot tap/head nod.

It took 503 replies (including a few of mine), but finally a measured, thoughtful, reasonable take! [emoji1319][emoji1319]

I would say it's a minor miracle that Noisy Vice wrote something positive about U2.

What are the odds of them playing *both The Blackout and The best thing on Fallon ?

So I'm up to my 11th listen......

It's a grower for sure. I like it a lot more than my first "radio" listen.

I don't like the chorus and hate the "to happen to boy" line and I don't like how it just ends so abruptly!

With that said:

Love the bass
Love The drums
Like Edges guitar "solo" as it sounds cool
I like a lot of the lyrics

The song is catchy as shit but it's not the "U2" catchy that most of us are used to, it's more "2017 mainstream pop crap" catchy and let's all be honest....that's who this song is for! It's not for us(U2 fans) it's to gain them popularity.

The majority of Interference doesn't like the song but at this moment....most others seem to disagree with us(reviews that I have read and even the "like" vs "dislike" count on YouTube).

That could change but they might be okay with this song....it might become a hit for them.

Spin has not been kind the last decade, NME despises them, Pitchfork, Stereogum and COS have all been really down on them for some time.

To see these outlets give them positive (at least not negative) feedback is saying something.

Oh Pitchfork, for sure. Heck, they actually ripped Arcade fire quite a bit for their new album too, which is like the Sun orbiting the earth in those parts... :huh:

Last edited:
I'm about 25 pages behind, but has anyone said 'meltdown' yet?

Last edited:
What are the odds of them playing *both The Blackout and The best thing on Fallon ?

I'd reason slim to none. They want all attention on YTBTAM for now.

With Best Thing performance being a lock (stated in today's U2.com email), the other will most certainly be a classic (I'd guess With or Without You or ISHFWILF).

I don't want to say it's a bad song. U2 really doesn't make many "bad" songs. But to me, for a single, it has pretty much no hook, the production is a mess, and the whole presentation is completely uninteresting.

No one here can seriously tell me that this isn't the kind of thing that, on previous U2 records, wouldn't end up as a bonus track.
I'm not a huge fan of the song right now either, but you absolutely can't say it doesn't have a hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom