Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2_WideAwakeInEurope_12%27vinyl_cover.jpg
This bigger version of the cover art looks really cool. :drool::drool::drool:

The Best Buy orders will inevitably be cancelled. There's no way they're going to be able to sell a 5,000 copy limited edition Record Store Day exclusive. It hasn't happened with any other RSD exclusive in the past.

And it would be nice for U2.com to acknowledge this, but at the same time, this is probably the most LIMITED EDITION item U2 has released in ages. Only 5,000 copies! I can sort of understand why U2.com wouldn't want to tease their worldwide global audience of millions with a release that will only be available to 5,000 Americans.

Independent Record Store Day - Cool Local Exclusives - Hildi's Rock News on whtq.com

Among them:

U2's "Wide Awake in Europe" features live tracks from the Irish rockers including three tracks from the recent European leg of the band's ongoing 360° Tour. Each album in the very limited run will be hand numbered.

:hmm: live tracks, INCLUDING 3 tracks.. that's interesting, is that implying there's more than just the three tracks we got?
And hand numbered, very fancy.

Almost all of the descriptions have an explanation on the vinyl within them. Either 7", 12" how many grams... but U2's has nothing on that.

The Best Buy orders will inevitably be cancelled. There's no way they're going to be able to sell a 5,000 copy limited edition Record Store Day exclusive. It hasn't happened with any other RSD exclusive in the past.

And it would be nice for U2.com to acknowledge this, but at the same time, this is probably the most LIMITED EDITION item U2 has released in ages. Only 5,000 copies! I can sort of understand why U2.com wouldn't want to tease their worldwide global audience of millions with a release that will only be available to 5,000 Americans.

That's been my exact thought on the whole "why isn't this on U2.com?" questions. The point of the release is to have something cool in indie stores that day, not to whip U2 fans online into a frenzy (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: ) and have them buy up all the copies of this very limited release before the day even gets here.

And yeah, I can't see Best Buy selling it, either. Any mega-retailer, like them or Amazon could sell 5,000 copies in minutes. That's not the point of this.

I was able to just preorder from Vintage Vinyl...

EDIT: Apparently there are several "vintage vinyl" websites. I found one that has this item. Yay! :up:

This may occur, but...

Back in 1998, the two-CD set of the 80's "Best Of" was also to be a limited time offer. They also had numbers on them (in some countries).

And yet, to this day, these are available. Perhaps the numbered items are worth a bit more, but really, the "limited availability" factor was a non-issue.

Back in 1991, "The Fly" was released in the U.K. for a "limited time". This helped propel the song to #1 on the U.K. charts (even though it couldn't break the Top 60 in the U.S.). However, one could still find this CD at various places. Again, the "limited availability" factor was a non-issue.

I don't see what there is to gain by releasing a token 5000 copies to some record stores. First, many record stores are closed. I don't even know of one in my area - and if I can track one down, there's no guarantee that they'd get this release. So it doesn't do anything to really boost business to these stores. Second, there are two groups of people who will snatch up these 5000 copies - die-hard collectors and those hoping to sell for a huge profit on eBay. The latter group always seems to win in these types of situations. So again, what is there to gain? Find ways to screw over huge fans of the group?

Therefore, I challenge if this 5000 copy rumor is really true. I just don't see the point of it. It's not enough to make a dent in anything and may cause more frustration than it's worth. Plus, past examples of "limited copies" proved to be false.

The double disc best offs aren't really available here anymore. I was lucky finding the 80's one in a random store that sold stocks of shit for cheap, and they were sold out pretty quickly. Found the 90s one in Ireland. Took me quite a while to get them.

I don't see what there is to gain by releasing a token 5000 copies to some record stores.

Participating in Record Store Day might be the allure in and of itself. I think all the releases that have been included in the previous events were limited editions. Springsteen did it last year as well.

No idea how limited those were, but it's not unheard of for a big act with a crazy fan base to do it.

What, based on the Best Buy ad? Best Buy isn't a record store and wouldn't be expected to participate in Record Store Day.

Pre-sales bought through Best Buy aside (did they get cancelled? I can't remember what happened with those pre-orders), it's not surprising it wouldn't be mentioned as part of their Black Friday ads.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm going to guess that my point still stands, that Best Buy won't be selling them in their physical stores and therefore would not be in a Black Friday ad.

But even if they will have some of the Record Store Day releases, I don't think you should read into their lack of mention in the BF ads. :shrug:

If there are only 5,000 in the world, then I don't think they need to advertise them, and yeah I doubt there will be any waiting in Best Buy stores for purchase... I'll actually be impressed if they successfully fill my order!

Ha. Yeah, I keep checking the status of my order at Ideal Copy (or whatever that place was). Hasn't been cancelled yet!

If my Best Buy order is canceled, I could always just go to Vintage Vinyl since I live near where the store is located. :hmm:

u2com u2com
'Wide Awake In Europe': live 3-track, limited edition vinyl from #RecordStoreDay outlets in North America. U2 > News > 'Wide Awake In Europe' for Record Store Day
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

So this unconfirmed confirmed rumour is now FINALLY confirmed. At last.

Time to told you so?

Also:
Fans in the UK and Ireland will also have an opportunity to get the vinyl - a few hundred copies will also be shipped to shops in the UK and Ireland. Please check to see which stores are participating in the project.

Nah, I'm not going to do an "I told you so."

But I will admit to feeling a small twinge of relief. "Oh good, I don't have to come out and declare that I was wrong." :lol:

So we only have about a week until someone rips the vinyl and I can download the tracks illegally? Sweeeeeeeeet.

Here is the quote on u2.com

To celebrate Record Store Day on November 23rd, U2 are releasing a three-track live EP called Wide Awake In Europe. The limited edition vinyl will only be available from North American stores participating in Record Store Day.

'We all wanted to get behind Record Store Day, ’ said bassist Adam Clayton, 'My local record shop introduced me to music I didn’t know and I might never have discovered.'

With only 5000 copies pressed, Wide Awake In America will be led by 'Mercy’ recorded live in Brussels on September 22nd 2010 and also features live performances of 'Moment of Surrender' and 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' from the U2360°Tour.

This is the first time any recording of Mercy has been released - the song has been in progress for a while and was featured in the setlist of the 2010 European leg of U2360°. Fans in the UK and Ireland will also have an opportunity to get the vinyl - a few hundred copies will also be shipped to shops in the UK and Ireland. Please check to see which stores are participating in the project.

The title of the EP recalls the band's 1985 release 'Wide Awake in America' which featured live performances from The Unforgettable Fire Tour.

Edit to say now I see your link Gg. :doh:

I do think it's a little silly that they're using the same version of CT that was on Artificial Horizon (from Dublin). Not like all the versions are that different, but why not a version from the most recent leg, to match the other two songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom