What Songs Make You Think of U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgespet

Refugee
Maybe I'm the only one that this happens to, but there are some non-U2 songs that always make me think of the guys in U2. I'm really stuck on Bono...he's got too many personalities to match to any one song!!:lol: ...but here are the ones that make me think of the other three...

Edge-Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits
incredibly awesome guitar...I would give anything to hear U2 cover this song...the whole style of the song makes me think of Edge...laid-back, focused on the music & again the amazing guitar!

Adam-Long Cool Woman In a Black Dress-The Hollies
somehow Adam & dress just go together! :lol:...
actually there is a line"...a tall-walkin' big black cat..."that is just sooo Adam! He's always seemed very feline to me.

Larry-Black Velvet-Alannah Myles (very obscure song, sorry!)
Definitely a Larry song because:
a. it's about Elvis
b. "...Mama's baby's in the heart of every schoolgirl..."

You Give Love A Bad Name-Bon Jovi
the line-with a slight change in wording..."a schoolboy's(girl's) dream, you act so shy..."

So, what songs make you think of your favorite guy?

Last edited:
"Fishing on a Pier" by the ApologetiX reminds me of U2. Doesnt sound like them, but the words remind me of them. That and "Lemonade" by the same band.

you're gonna look at me like :eyebrow: ...

"Jump around" - house of pain.... for two reasons:
the first one is the video, cuz it shows a Saint Patrick's parade that makes me thing about ireland and U2...
the second one is that Soul assasins mixed that song, as they do with "numb"...

we have a very traditional song here about the New Year's day celebration, so you can imagine what song that reminds me... I used to think in "New years day" each december 31th...

"Steve McQueen" by Sheryl Crow has a line about "rock stars in the White House." I remember the first time I heard it the first thing I thought of was Bono! :lol:

Help :wink:

Helter Skelter :wink:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band :wink:

All You Need Is Love :wink:

Creep :wink:

Won't Get Fooled Again :wink:

The Star Spangeled Banner :wink:

Edgespet said:
Black Velvet-Alannah Myles (very obscure song, sorry!)

I didn't realize "Black Velvet" was considered 'obscure'.... :hmm:
I loved that song!

Black velvet in a little boy's eyes,
Black velvet in that slow, southern style.
A new religion that'll bring you to your knees,
Black velvet if you please....

Beautiful voice! - did she ever get any other airplay? I don't recall ever hearing anything else from her.

But I can definately see how the song would remind you of Larry in particular!

Usually crappy one hit wonder bands from the 80's that tried to borrow U2's guitar sound and stuff. I forget their names but I usually hear them on flashback radioprograms when I am driving home from work at noon.

But there are some good bands from the 80's that remind me of U2 for odd reasons. Like Crowded House and Midnight Oil. I guess they remind me of U2 because of the era in which those two bands had hits was around the time of The Joshua Tree being popular I guess.

Oddly coldplay makes me think of U2 besides the sound, it is some of the political views that the band as a whole seem to share which are similar to U2's. ALSO FOR some strange reason, the Village People remind me of U2 'cause of the parody that U2 did in the Discoteque vid

Just from the concerts over the years, all I can think of now is:

Sgt Pepper
Your love is lifting me higher (Not sure of the name): Jackie Wilson
Higher Ground
The boys are back in town
Televison Drug Of the Nation
Bittersweet Symphony
Theme from Harry's Game

etc.etc. !!

Re: Re: What Songs Make You Think of U2?

BluRmGrl said:

I didn't realize "Black Velvet" was considered 'obscure'.... :hmm:
I loved that song!

Black velvet in a little boy's eyes,
Black velvet in that slow, southern style.
A new religion that'll bring you to your knees,
Black velvet if you please....

Beautiful voice! - did she ever get any other airplay? I don't recall ever hearing anything else from her.

But I can definately see how the song would remind you of Larry in particular!

I had forgotten all about this thread & just found it again! :applaud: Around here, it's pretty obscure. I haven't heard it on the radio in years. As far as I know, that was the only song of hers to ever get any airplay...a shame really, because she did have a fantastic voice...very sexy! And the imagery of her lyrics was amazing...one of my favorite lines from Black Velvet is the sun is settin' like molasses in the sky...
Anyway, yeah, this song just has Larry's name written all over it! :drool:

JF Murphy & Salt. I saw them live twice. They had a song about
Sunday Bloody Sunday. Started out with their sax/bagpipe player
coming in from back of venue onto stage playing a trad. Irish song
on the Irish Pipes. Then the song began...
It was about some guy used as a scapegoat by the IRA. They
turned him in to the Brits, so they wouldn't get blamed.
After the song, the bagpiper played solo again.
This was 1970s.....way before U2 :)

Hrmm. I never thought about that. I had always assumed they were referring to the band. However I find that most sites that try to explain the meanings of each thing in the song appear to mention it being the spy plane. I have found nothing canon on the issue however.

:yes: :lmao: @ Techie!!! That's what I thought-At first, cuz B. Joel mentions the Beatles before! And I had to laugh at myself when I remembered.."Oh yeah..the plane! How could I forget?"!! lol!:laugh: But I thought ..'well, I Think they are a gr-8 band mention!' hee! Anyway, to get back to the theme of this thread..I would say the Songs that remind me of U2..Anything by 'One LOve' bob marley, 'Hot Stepper'(forgot who did it-but i LOVE this song!)because they seem to have so many models around them, yes, Jump Around, cuz they played it SO much at the ZOO Tv concert!..Won't get fooled again..Who, Diana..cuz they like REM so much..! All I can think of at the moment..:wink:

Billy Joel is talking about the spyplane because he's going through the 1950's-1960's.

Back
Top Bottom