we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
one is an overrated song. sure it saved the band from breaking up, but that doesn't mean it needs to grace the top of every countdown, be played at every U2 concert, and be worshipped by every U2 fan as the best thing since sliced bread.

It was one of the best songs played on the radio in the 90's.

But like WOWY it's needs to take a rest from the setlist, the pasion is gone most nights in these songs, they feel like they need to do it every night. They need to get out of that menality.

One used to be my second-favorite U2 song. And then it turned into a great big cliche. That said, I still love the videos for it. I just sort of zone out every time I hear it played live now, especially if it's preceded by a lengthy spiel about the One Campaign (which I very much support, but after awhile, come on).

Why couldn't Bono have named it the Pride Campaign? Or the Beautiful Day Campaign? Or at least some name involving a U2 song I didn't once love :wink:

Hmm..I disagree, I quite like the way they do it now compared to earlier incarnations...I think my fave would be Pop and Elevation tour versions.

As for WOWY, I couldn't agree more. I could live with never hearing that song live again if they continue to do it a la Vertigo tour versions. :yuck:

my only problem with one at concerts is the seventy minute spiel bono goes through before it.

SHUUUUTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuupp.

I'm not sure if I 'fucking hate' it but I think it's terribly overrated - schmaltzy and cliche for the most part. Never was fond of it, now I kinda cringe whenever I hear it. I'll give them this, though. When I saw U23D, I didn't hate that song, but I think that's more of a testament to their charisma live than the actual song.

I could never say I hate the song (it's place in the U2 canon speaks for itself), but I agree it has been overplayed and particuarly on the last two tours, there didn't seem to be much development, the Elevation and Vertigo versions are pretty much interchangeable for me.

It needs a fresh interpretation, something to breathe new life into it again and re-energise it, I think that's the only way to prevent the thing stagnating for both the band and the audience.

Once again, it's not a handfull of diehard fans - tired of their bootlegs and of seeing "One" on the setlist of every show - that is gonna change the general appreciation for the song by the general public and the fan community.

I think a lot of people have confused the song with its performance. The song´s greatest form is its studio version. Bono´s voice sounds just perfect and the tone and solemnity of are captured perfectly and I doubt anyone could ever possibly duplicate it.

While I do agree that its live performances have been terrible for the past 7+ years I must intercede on behalf of the song and say that it is truly one of the greatest songs ever written. It´s lyrics are gorgeous and their ambiguity are actually the beauty of it because it can serve and relate to any bittersweet occasion.

Beautiful song. Possibly the song I most respect out of U2´s entire cannon.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I think a lot of people have confused the song with its performance. The song´s greatest form is its studio version. Bono´s voice sounds just perfect and the tone and solemnity of are captured perfectly and I doubt anyone could ever possibly duplicate it.

I don't think the live version is that bad
can't remember being at a U2 show and being bored / not moved at all during One

can't say it's one of my favourites
but if that would equal hatred than I would hate lots & lots of songs

luna_lovegood said:
yay for One hate thread!:yippie: Its tired and old and far to radio friendly.

I disagree. I think many mainstream radio listeners are bored by the song because it's not upbeat enough, which is sad.

I never cared for this song until just recently... I didn't understand the hype, the hyperbole...
now, after 11 years as a hardcore U2 fan, I finally "get it." it happened one day, out of the blue as I listened to AB. I realized that I loved it... the subtlety of the performance, the lyric, the melody.

i've hated the song ever since it came out. when i got my tape of achtung baby back in 91, i skipped past one unless i just got tired of doing the old fast forward routine. it just doesn't do anything for me. and the hour long speeches bono gives before the song definitely don't do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom