version of the album leaked, not the real version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question from the n00b (newbies suck, I have not been a newbiew anywhere for a long time).

Where could one find these beach clips you guys are talking about? I know I should search the board, but this place is huuuuuuuge and a n00b can get easily lost in here. :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am curious!!!

Not only does Vertigo sound the same, but LAPOE sounds identical to the 1 minute we heard in that official promo video from Amazon. Also, I'd be willing to guess that Edge's CD had Fast Cars or Mercy on it too, so why wouldn't those have leaked as well? Furthermore, piracy groups don't care how they effect release dates or anything like that, so there's no reason why they would have waited until now.

This is the real thing :)

I'd be willing to guess that the CD was misplaced. By the time it was found, such a fuss was made that no one was going to admit that someone had maybe just forgotten where they had put it.

Oooops

Some thoughts:

1) U2 would presumably have issued a statement if this wasn't the final version. Or maybe they are waiting till nearer the release date so as not to tempt fate.

2) The "beach" version of Vertigo is different to the album leaked version in that the beach contains the plug pulled out sound i.e. the music comes to a stop after the "and no one gets hurt" part.

3) Either Edge was playing guitar live at the TOTP performance of All Because Of You or else he was playing along to a very different track. The solo that he breaks into is not on the album.

4) If the leak is from the official release it would appear to be from a pressing plant producing not for UK or Japan as we are missing Fast Cars. A couple of reviewers have said Fast Cars was the best track on the album - truly innovative - and I'm looking forward to hearing that.

5) We've still got the acoustic versions to look forward to on the ltd ed. dvd.:wink:

Last edited:
The band already said they recovered that lost disc.
At least I read that somewhere in all of this mess.

I echo the Gormeister.
No Fast Cars? Blender was present when the disc that disappeared went missing, they reviewed Fast Cars, but it didn't leak. Maybe they even mentioned Mercy for all I know.
Plus LAPOE is absolutely identical on the mp3 and in that video.

As far as I'm concerned there is abosolutely nothing to this rumor.

paulrg said:
Some thoughts:
2) The "beach" version of Vertigo is different to the album leaked version in that the beach contains the plug pulled out sound i.e. the music comes to a stop after the "and no one gets hurt" part.

3) Either Edge was playing guitar live at the TOTP performance of All Because Of You or else he was playing along to a very different track. The solo that he breaks into is not on the album.

Two people on this forum who heard the album said the power outtage from Vertigo does not appear on the album.

Edge was most defintely playing a live lead on the TOTP All Because of You. The intro is different too.

Fast Cars was written & recorded on the last day of work on the album. Which maybe lends some credence to this rumour. But it could just be that the CD they ripped this form didn't have it on it.

The mixes sound very polished to me and apart from the one report on Reuters which a few people have picked up on, no-one else seems to say that the version leaked is anything but the final one.

Who knows. But if it was the leaked one, I'd have thought the band would be making the most out of it to stop people downloading it.

ascender_RS said:
Fast Cars was written & recorded on the last day of work on the album. Which maybe lends some credence to this rumour. But it could just be that the CD they ripped this form didn't have it on it.

They were already done recording the album when it was stolen, it just hadn't been fully mixed. Fast Cars was done on the last recording day, as far as I know.

Really though, the album sounds totally polished. I'd actually be upset to find out it had been mixed any farther. Part of the charm of HTDAAB is that it doesn't sound over-produced, which I felt ATYCLB did.

We'll know for sure soon, but I'd put my money on the leak being the final version :)

the release group who release HTDAAB (RNS) is famous for releasing albums early, and they'd look "lame" if they didn't release the real cd

I actually thought some songs may be demos when I first heard them:

YAHWEH has an odd beginning. It sounds like it cuts in from some sort of segue - kinda like the start of the song has been cut off.

YAHWEH and COBL also don't sound as sonically deep as the other tracks. Even the VBR versions sound like 128kps.

The guitar at the start of ABOY also is really loud for the first second then quietens down straight away. Sounds unprofessional (or unfinished).

The start of MIRACLE DRUG also cuts in like YAHWEH but to a much lesser extent.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but it did have me wondering too.

Last edited:
A couple of things

First I was at TOTP and the only thing not played live was Vertigo, and this was mor efor the purposes of the show needing to dictate time strictly. ABOY was certainly live as was COBL.

Secondly, I can't believe that this can not be the finished album. And if it's not then I dont want to hear the finished version because it could potnetially spoil this masterpiece.

One thing I noticed about Vertigo.

The album version is 3.14 instead of 3.11 for the single version and at the end of the album version yo can hear someone talking in the background, and it doesnt sound like one of those hidden things, infact it sounds a bit out of place and unprofessional. I could be wrong but just a thought.

Who knows if it´s the real thing or not? All I know is...I love, truly love this album.

Anyways, check the article below, posted at @U2:

Irish Independent
9th November 2004

U2 say pirated new album won't knock them off track

U2 has decided to go ahead with the release of their new album as
planned, despite the appearance of pirated versions on the internet,
two weeks before the official release date.

The leak may be linked to the theft of a tape containing rough tracks
from the upcoming album, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', which
disappeared over the summer from a Nice studio, where the band was
recording.

Last night, a spokesperson for the band said they are still going ahead
with the launch on November 19 in this country, with November 22 the
release date for the rest of Europe.

She said the band was aware of the illegal copies circulating on the
internet but said the quality of the material remains unknown.

'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is the first studio album in four
years for the band signed to the Island Records label. Jason Iley,
general manager of Island records said dealing with piracy is 'an
occupational hazard' and declared that there would be no change to
their plans to release the album.

(c) Unison.ie 2004

MT

follower said:
Who knows if it´s the real thing or not? All I know is...I love, truly love this album.

Anyways, check the article below, posted at @U2:

Irish Independent
9th November 2004

U2 say pirated new album won't knock them off track

U2 has decided to go ahead with the release of their new album as
planned, despite the appearance of pirated versions on the internet,
two weeks before the official release date.

The leak may be linked to the theft of a tape containing rough tracks
from the upcoming album, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', which
disappeared over the summer from a Nice studio, where the band was
recording.

Last night, a spokesperson for the band said they are still going ahead
with the launch on November 19 in this country, with November 22 the
release date for the rest of Europe.

She said the band was aware of the illegal copies circulating on the
internet but said the quality of the material remains unknown.

'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is the first studio album in four
years for the band signed to the Island Records label. Jason Iley,
general manager of Island records said dealing with piracy is 'an
occupational hazard' and declared that there would be no change to
their plans to release the album.

(c) Unison.ie 2004

MT

They mention they're not even sure of the quality of the leak, and it seems like linking it to the stolen CD is speculative reporting. I truly believe what we have is the real thing. We'll see though :)

Just check the songs length and compare to the technical info that we already have.

Do you think The Edge is dying a thousand deaths right now? Poor guy. I'm sure Bono isn't letting him live it down either.

It is my firm belief that U2 knowingly leaked this album on purpose - what better way to get free advertising a few weeks prior to the record's release?

Release version or demo version??

I just checked the running times for each song in the NME Preview, and...mmm...most songs are about 4 seconds longer on the CD but some are 10 seconds. Still, with compression issues, and so on, maybe there is no difference.

This is disturbing. I already learn to love most of the songs the way they are. If these are not the finished versions I hope that the actual ones are better.

Universal Records Canada was handing out official copies of the CD at the Into The Heart Fest in Toronto last weekend. This is where the leak originated from, and the all leaked tracks ARE from the commercial album. That is why there is no version of Fast Cars as this is the North American version.

The only question that now remains is why did Universal knowingly leak this CD. Did the band and Principle Management sanction this move? If so....this is pure public relations.

Regardless of who's to blame, U2 are going to be selling a whole lot more Deluxe and Collector's versions of this offering.

I've already ordered mine. :drool:

I doubt that was the full album Universal Canada handed out.

Now if it was the Vertigo Single, I can believe that.

I have an observation: on my VBR "team rns" version of Love and Peace or Else, during the outro solo, there is a second of massive distortion that can in no way be intended. It isn't distortion used as effect, it is digital distortion that ruins that moment of audio.

Another observation is that some of the tracks definitely do not segue into each other very well. In fact, it almost sounds like the songs were originally in a different running order with very specific transitions, but were renamed with the "official" order numbering.

We'll see soon enough. When does the Japanese version get released? Isn't it before the U.S. release?

If Universal handed out FULL albums then it would be a little strange that all the news reports have been described as a 'pirated' album being leaked.

I don't know...the whole situation is odd, whether true or not. :shrug:

I belong to the U2GTA fan group (U2.Greater.Toronto.Area).

The postings, emails and general chatter are FULL of people who were given honest to goodness copies of the legitimate HTDAAB CD by Universal Canada record reps in attendance at the event.

These are not CD singles or downloaded copies. This is the whole album. No question. So what does that mean? Leaked on purpose or crossed wires at the record company?:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom