U2 to perform at the Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder whether GOYB is sort of a dead horse at this point...
:hmm:
Hopefully the amazing video and a good Grammys performance will give it what it needs.

stupidposts9vj8lf.gif

:wink:

i can't help it!

Edit: i was trying to post a picture of Peter Griffin.

I think it may be--this is its last chance--it isn't even in the Top 100 songs on iTunes--yes the TOP 100!?!?!??!

I agree... I don't know why, but the hype does not seem equivalent to other U2 lead-off singles. I think it's a combination of the song being less accessible than Vertigo, also the fact that the video was late, and that the release of the single was so strictly controlled...

U2 needs to bring the house down this weekend... and maybe even then, if the single does not begin to perform, a second single should be reease before the album is released to gain momentum.

I agree... I don't know why, but the hype does not seem equivalent to other U2 lead-off singles. I think it's a combination of the song being less accessible than Vertigo, also the fact that the video was late, and that the release of the single was so strictly controlled...

U2 needs to bring the house down this weekend... and maybe even then, if the single does not begin to perform, a second single should be reease before the album is released to gain momentum.

:up: agreed, I think that it may be time to release a new single. :reject:

:up: agreed, I think that it may be time to release a new single. :reject:

I think the single has been released but the publicity campaign and video have not been there.

So it's not like the song has been rejected by the wider public - it's just the wider public have not heard it at all!

Now the video is out and the band will perform it at the Grammy's etc.. it will get exposure. Whether it will be really successful or bomb I don't know, but you have to give it a fair chance.

For us fans it feels like the song has been out there for ages, but for the rest of the world it's not really out there yet!

Let's see what happens

Santiago

Most people haven't heard it, no reason to release a new single.

The video is now done, it'll air soon, has already aired this afternoon here in Holland. So the promotion for it only just started, be patient.

The U2 machine will be in full gear in no time.

I think the single has been released but the publicity campaign and video have not been there.

So it's not like the song has been rejected by the wider public - it's just the wider public have not heard it at all!

Now the video is out and the band will perform it at the Grammy's etc.. it will get exposure. Whether it will be really successful or bomb I don't know, but you have to give it a fair chance.

For us fans it feels like the song has been out there for ages, but for the rest of the world it's not really out there yet!

Let's see what happens

Santiago

I think they also made a huge mistake by not offering a free download.

Why, so people could download it instead of buy it?

Because it creates buzz--radio, Facebook, etc. FREE is the most powerful marketing tool. It's just a better strategy. Only die hards will buy it--and even in that case it was only a blip--again, not even in the Top 100 on iTunes--that in and of itself is a PR nightmare.

can someone tell me how viva la vida is still #39? talk about a song that's been on the radar for a long time. that song was released in may of 2008:huh:

I think they also made a huge mistake by not offering a free download.

I agree. Who knows what works anymore, but Springsteen had a steady stream of stuff coming out for weeks before his latest - like it or not. Limited time free downloads and a number of videos. Granted, his videos weren't huge productions like GOYB, but he kept pounding away with new press releases and reasons to direct people to his website and itunes store.

U2 really has their work cut out for them on this one. Vertigo got so much traction because of the itunes commercial. Now they are going toe-to-toe with whatever else is out there vying for that ever-dwindling attention span.

I wonder whether GOYB is sort of a dead horse at this point...
:hmm:
Hopefully the amazing video and a good Grammys performance will give it what it needs.

Yeah, I would say it's a dead horse. And I don't expect much from the Grammy performance.

The problem as far as singles go, is that this album doesn't contain them. And I'm so excited about that!

Yeah, I would say it's a dead horse. And I don't expect much from the Grammy performance.

The problem as far as singles go, is that this album doesn't contain them. And I'm so excited about that!

I think multiple songs have been mentioned to have single potential (Magnificent, (IGCIIDG) Crazy Tonight), so I don't think that's the problem. I think GOYB was meant to be a catchy first release, perhaps to save the sure-fires for later. Nobody I've talked to outside our little bubble has liked GOYB, so if things don't miraculously explode after the Grammies, it's time to move on and either do something drastic to get the single out there or release something else.

it's not the video, it's not the release... it's the song. there's no such thing as "growers" in this day and age. everybody has A.D.D. if it doesn't hit the general population over the head the first time, it's not going to.

a good grammy performance could help... but besides that i think boots is done as far as any charting goes, at least in the states.

I think Boots is pretty accessible. At least it's way more accessible than 99.9% of the music I listen to. Even so, I don't see what's so hard to "get" about it. Maybe for a U2 fan it's a little different, but I doubt anyone listening to it on the radio is thinking "Wow this is so different!!".

So did anyone see the Grammy advert hyping U2 playing a never before heard song? Everyone has heard GOYB so maybe there is a second single coming. Who knows.

They probably meant, never before heard live.

I know a lot of people may rag on the Grammys, but I honestly feel that the boys need to have a really memorable stand-out performance, for the sake of the record. Sure NLOTH is going to sell a pantload, but I think a mindblowing performance of the first single for those who haven't heard it will excite a lot of interest. :hyper: It's going to be seen by quite a few music lovers, even if they aren't a U2 demographic (if there is one) Perhaps even wrangle in some new fans, you never know. I don't think we should downplay something like this, it could really help out the success of Boots, and possibly grow from there. All imo of course :D

So is it confirmed they are opening the show?

U2 is not opening the show. According to various sources, it is Radiohead ( actually apparently just Thom, Jonny and Colin) backed by members of the USC Marching Band performing 15 Steps to open the show.

I really think it's too early for the dead horse hypothesis - wait until the publicity machine starts!

If I think back to Pop, the moment when it became clear that the album was not going to be as successful as other U2 albums was:

- When the second single failed to chart significantly
- When sales of the album (after the initial rush) stalled
- When the stadium tour did not sell out

Until this happened it was really difficult to tell whether things were going well or not.
(The fly and AB had a really slow start, a bit similar to what's happening now, and the momentum gathered slowly. I think it was around the time the tour hit that it became clear that this was going to be a successful album)

We are still far from that (for god's sake, the video to the first single has just now been released). The reaction to the video and the Grammy's performance will be a good indicator of where we are.

So give it a little bit of time and chill out! (well, maybe that's just not the Interference spirit)

Why, so people could download it instead of buy it?
Because it creates buzz--radio, Facebook, etc. FREE is the most powerful marketing tool. It's just a better strategy. Only die hards will buy it--and even in that case it was only a blip--again, not even in the Top 100 on iTunes--that in and of itself is a PR nightmare.

:eyebrow:
The song is streaming for free on U2.com exclusive - "Get On Your Boots" so what are you talking about. U2 are offering it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom