2022 Kennedy Center Honors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Billboard.com

U2, Gladys Knight, Amy Grant, actor-director George Clooney and Cuban-born composer, conductor and educator Tania León are the 2022 Kennedy Center Honors recipients.

The 45th edition of the prestigious awards, presented for lifetime artistic achievements, will be held on Sunday, Dec. 4, on the Opera House stage at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The Honors Gala will be recorded for broadcast on CBS at a later date as a two-hour prime-time special and will be available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+.

U2 is the fifth band to receive the honor, following The Who (2008), Led Zeppelin (2012), Eagles (2016) and Earth, Wind & Fire (2019). Before 2008, the Kennedy Center Honors focused entirely on individuals

Surprised Biffy Clyro is not on the list of bands already honored, but happy for U2!

they gave one of these things to the Eagles and the Beatles don't have one? very sus

Well, the former is actually pretty American. Frankly, I don’t get why these institutions ever hand out awards to anybody else. Not to put the US first or anything. Just don’t see why a Presidential Medal of Freedom or whatever else should go to those abroad when there’s plenty of unrecognized Americans at home.

Also, the Kennedys are terrible. So there’s that. I did like Joe Kennedy embarrassing himself in that Senate primary tho, thank God the progressive won. Worshipping that family is the same as worshipping empty suits and they literally made their fortune via flat out theft.

Well, the former is actually pretty American. Frankly, I don’t get why these institutions ever hand out awards to anybody else. Not to put the US first or anything. Just don’t see why a Presidential Medal of Freedom or whatever else should go to those abroad when there’s plenty of unrecognized Americans at home.

ah i see, it's an award for Americans. that must be why they also gave awards to The Who and Led Zeppelin.

Last edited:
It’s their awards and they can do what they want but this stems from an American family with a deeply entrenched hold (that’s thankfully dying away, yay!) on American politics. U2 has received endless awards, why not posthumous recognition for Sister Rosetta Tharpe or Lou Reed.

And Amy Grant? Did Pelosi select that one via inexplicably giving the Kennedy Center millions in federal funding?

Also, the Kennedys are terrible. So there’s that. I did like Joe Kennedy embarrassing himself in that Senate primary tho, thank God the progressive won. Worshipping that family is the same as worshipping empty suits and they literally made their fortune via flat out theft.

Hear hear

Literally a repercussion for Ted was “oh you killed someone, guess you unofficially can’t run for President.” Because I’m sure that’s the way it works for the commoner.

Amy Grant tho?

She's more than deserving, I'd say. She essentially created modern Christian music, and is arguably the biggest name in the history of the genre- with a career just as long as U2's. She's been attacked and shunned over the years by a lot of extreme churches and radio stations (for things like getting a divorce, not taking a hard stance against premarital sex, crossing over into pop music, and supporting LGBTQ people) and she's always stood up for herself. A lot to admire there.

And let's be real- If Yo-Yo Ma, Sally Field, and the creators of Hamilton can get one of these things, so can she.

Even if I wasn't religious, I'd dig her music, but I'm grateful to her that there was at least some decent stuff to listen to growing up, when CCM made up a huge portion of what was played in my home.

She's more than deserving, I'd say. She essentially created modern Christian music, and is arguably the biggest name in the history of the genre- with a career just as long as U2's. She's been attacked and shunned over the years by a lot of extreme churches and radio stations (for things like getting a divorce, not taking a hard stance against premarital sex, crossing over into pop music, and supporting LGBTQ people) and she's always stood up for herself. A lot to admire there.

And let's be real- If Yo-Yo Ma, Sally Field, and the creators of Hamilton can get one of these things, so can she.

Fair enough, I only really know her from the “Baby, Baby” era and the time I saw Vince Gill and she came out and did some duets.

Kind of think those you mentioned (Yo-Yo, Sally, Hamilton) are no-brainers though.

Vince Gill is underrated as hell - the voice, the guitar playing, the marrying Amy Grant…

Vince Gill is underrated as hell - the voice, the guitar playing, the marrying Amy Grant…

this was at the 9:30 club in DC in 2003. i went with my then boyfriend. i enjoyed the show quite a bit. he's even heavier than you'd think (can't imagine now), and he looked like he'd rolled out of bed maybe 10 minutes before going on stage -- "unkempt" is the word.

gorgeous voice tho. and she came on stage looking like like a million bucks.

To blanketly label the Kennedy sons (JFK, RFK, EMK) as terrible (vs Joseph the father) is unwarranted.

As far as awarding international people - as they say seriously influencing USA culture.

Last edited:
I literally didn't find out about this untill 2 days ago! So excited for them.

they gave one of these things to the Eagles and the Beatles don't have one? very sus
Idk about "sus" :hmm:, but yeah why The Beatles never got one? You could say that's a big oversight!
ah i see, it's an award for Americans. that must be why they also gave awards to The Who and Led Zeppelin.
As I said they also award International People for their big influences on USA culture of which ^ The Beatles... well, you know. (Well, not first hand bc of age difference)

(I was 10 when JFK was assassinated. Of course, I knew you weren't supposed to do that; the greater implications were mostly all beyond me, untill later on. As opposed to RFK's loss which was devastating, especially after losing Dr King such a short time before. It was a searing time of pain for most USA'rs, and others.

I bring it up bc there are theories [and I'm thinking of "older" Beatles fans of 18-?22 yes old+ in '64; soon to, or entering the Adult World vs me then at 11-12] that The Beatles started to bring the USA out the deep pall it was in after Nov 22, '63. I believe it. )

Btw, how is Canada and yourself doing these days?

That's very good to know she has done those things. Thanks for the info bc I ddn't know a thing about her.

Last edited:
I just forwarded via the usual red scroll on the bottom, Biden talks about U2 around 50:40

The whole thing didn't start until after the 30 minute mark

Back
Top Bottom