U2 has 7 songs in Rolling Stone's new "500 greatest songs of all Time" issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicLemon

War Child
U2 has 7 songs in Rolling Stone's new "500 greatest songs of all Time" issue

I haven't seen this posted yet .. if it's a double post, my apologies.

Mag all-time hit list has '60s-'70s groove

By JONATHAN LEMIRE

Bob Dylan, whose 'Like a Rolling Stone' nabbed the No. 1 slot, also placed 11 other songs on Rolling Stone's list.

Aretha Franklin got plenty of 'Respect,' too, charting at No. 5.
Bob Dylan over John Lennon? The Stones over the Beatles? And Abba over, well, anybody?

Sure to spark heated debates around the jukebox - or maybe the iPod - Rolling Stone magazine has just published a collection of what its panel of experts deem the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

But younger folks may be left wondering whether these critics turned off their radios for good when disco hit. And older folks might wonder why there's very little before Elvis started wiggling his hips.

Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" sits atop the chart - (hmm, why do they like that one so much?) - followed by the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and Lennon's "Imagine."

Lennon's old band - what was their name again? - notched its first song, "Hey Jude," at No. 8, two ahead of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say," which rounded out a top 10 that has just one song, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (No. 9), that was written after 1971.

Indeed, of the 500 songs, a staggering 202 were written in the 1960s, and another 144 were penned a decade later. Meanwhile, only 55 songs from the 1980s were selected. Okay, maybe they got that right.

But just three songs from the current decade were chosen: Eminem's "Lose Yourself" (No. 166) and "Stan" (No. 290), and last year's ubiquitous hit, OutKast's "Hey Ya" (No. 180).

Not surprisingly, the Beatles placed the most songs on the list with an astounding 23. Their ancient rivals, the Stones, took second with 14, two ahead of Dylan and three in front of Elvis.

These totals, once again, show the list's generational bias: Of the acts that place at least seven songs on the countdown, only one - U2, with a new album out next week - can still be seen as being at the top of its game.

Ultimately, however, the list acts as the ultimate conversation starter for anybody who has plugged in an electric guitar - or, for that matter, a turntable - and dreamed of cutting the perfect album, or for someone who simply gets a thrill out of opening a new CD.

The potential for argument is endless: is Roy Orbison's "Crying," (No. 69) really 100 songs better than R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" (No. 169)?

In a battle of guitar heroes, shouldn't Bruce Springsteen, whose top song, "Born to Run," clocks in at No. 21, be ahead of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze," which slides in at #17?

And how did the celebrity panel - which included Joni Mitchell, "David Letterman" bandleader Paul Shaffer and Daily News critic-at-large David Hinckley - decide a Sonny and Cher song, "I Got You Babe" (No. 444), was worthy of the list?

So, let the debates begin. But go easy on the air guitar.

The top 20 songs from Rolling Stone Magazine's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time":

"Like a Rolling Stone" Bob Dylan
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
"Imagine" John Lennon
"What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
"Respect" Aretha Franklin
"Good Vibrations" The Beach Boys
"Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry
"Hey Jude" The Beatles
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
"What'd I Say" Ray Charles
"My Generation" The Who
"A Change is Gonna Come" Sam Cooke
"Yesterday" The Beatles
"Blowin' in the Wind" Bob Dylan
"London Calling" The Clash
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" The Beatles
"Purple Haze" The Jimi Hendrix Experience
"Maybellene" Chuck Berry
"Hound Dog" Elvis Presley
"Let It Be" The Beatles

One (36)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (92)

With or Without You (131)

Sunday Bloody Sunday (268)

Pride (378)

New Years Day (427)

I missed one of them, there should be 7

Last edited:
>streets?

Nope, unfortunately it wasn't written in the 60's or 70's. Sorry.

Who cares anyway? We don't like U2 just because a few of their songs made it onto the top 500 list of Rolling Stone. We like them because they did that, AND they are still making great music, today.

Maybe if every time you listened to a song, it sounded as good as the first time, it would be different. Obviously that is not the case, so this top 500 list is not as relevant as it might seem.

Finally, if you look at the editor's comment on the number one song, he said, "No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time, for all time". It seems they are more interested in the historical significance of songs than their musical merits.

Last edited:
How the hell could Streets not make it? That's like not putting Jesus on a list of "500 most significant figures in Christianity."

Axver said:
How the hell could Streets not make it? That's like not putting Jesus on a list of "500 most significant figures in Christianity."

Axver - that was HILARIOUS!!!

Hey Jude, Yesterday and Let it Be all made the top 20? Ugh!!! The Beatles were a great band and the most important pop group ever, but why does the world insist on honoring those junkers. Let it Be is much too maudlin to be great. Yesterday drips with dullness and is in desperate need of an itch somewhere in the song. Hey Jude is all sentiment and no soul. Guess it's obvious that I'm sick of these yesteryear loving lists.

Rolling Stone is strongly biased toward the Baby Boomer generation. You can see it in every list they have ever done. It's always the same artists, the same bands. As much as I love the Beatles and the Stones, it makes for very boring reading.

Top 35
1: Bob Dylan, Like A Rolling Stone
2: The Rolling Stones, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
3: John Lennon, Imagine
4: Marvin Gaye, What's Going O
5: Aretha Franklin, Respect
6: Beach Boys, Good Vibrations 1966
7: Chuck Berry, Johnny B Goode 1958
8: The Beatles, Hey Jude 1968
9: Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit 1991
10: Ray Charles, What'd I Say 1959
11: The Who, My Generation 1966
12: Sam Cooke, A Change Is Gonna Come 1965
13: The Beatles, Yesterday 1965
14: Bob Dylan, Blowin' in the Wind 1963
15: The Clash, London Calling 1980
16: The Beatles, I Want to Hold Your Hand 1964
17: Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze 1967
18: Chuck Berry, Maybellene 1955
19: Elvis Presley, Hound Dog 1956
20: The Beatles, Let It Be 1970
21: Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run 1975
22: The Ronettes, Be My Baby 1963
23: The Beatles, In My Life 1966
24: The Impressions, People Get Ready 1965
25: Beach Boys, The God Only Knows 1966
26: The Beatles, A Day in the Life 1967
27: Derek and the Dominos, Layla 1971
28: Otis Redding, (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay 1968
29: The Beatles, Help! 1965
30: Johnny Cash, I Walk the Line 1956
31: Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven 1971
32: Rolling Stones, Sympathy For The Devil 1968
33: Ike & Tina Turner, River Deep, Mountain High 1966
34: The Righteous Brothers, You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' 1964
35: The Doors, Light My Fire 1967

36: U2, One 1991

No point in arguing. I would love to have these same Rolling Stone critics have One go head to head with each of the top 35 songs. I think One gets at least 20 wins.

What is with all this nostalgia crap? It's like Bono said, people wind up having an affection for things not because of how good they are, but because of the memories they bring back. Why in God's name is pop candy like I Wanna Hold Your Hand on this list? Sure, it's a classic that may have been cool at the time, but where the hell are the GOOD John Lennon songs (aside from Day in the Life way down at #26)? That's like putting I Will Follow at the top of U2's work. Strawberry Fields is a brilliant piece of composition and production that should be ahead of all the Lennon/McCartney work with the exception of Imagine. How about Revolution? That song kicks as much ass as it did 35 years ago. I'd rather see I Am The Walrus on here than Help. They should be calling this a Top 500 greatest singles list because that's what this is. Radio fodder. The popular songs.

What's also insulting to a big Who fan is that My Generation is put up as the highest example of Pete Townshend's genius? What about Won't Get Fooled Again? No to mention putting Satisfaction that high? Yeah, the guitar intro is an all-time classic. But Jagger and Richards wrote WAY better songs. Wild Horses, You Can't Always Get..., Moonlight Mile, Gimme Shelter...

One last thing. Not to sound too partial, but let's get real here. If Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter of all time (something I'm not going to argue with), he should be DOMINATING this thing. There's about 10 songs of his that are better than most songs on the above sampling of the top 35 of the list. Hound Dog? Ha! There's no doubt in my mind that the top 25 should have Just Like a Woman, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, Tangled Up in Blue, Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

And where the hell is The Weight by The Band??!?! Grand treason!!!

I've been too busy to go back and look through the 500 songs to catch the one I missed. I'm guessing it's Streets.

I would love to have these same Rolling Stone critics have One go head to head with each of the top 35 songs. I think One gets at least 20 wins.

LOL....so true. Heck, put Streets up against the top 35 and it would be almost the same thing.

RS pisses me off... first off, all they care about is the 50's and 60's... songs with for the most part very little depth. And in there with all that group is Nirvana. Bullshit.

And what the hell is Eminem doing on there with better positions than most of U2's?

Back
Top Bottom