Time to vote! Should Mercy be on the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Mercy be included on the next album?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • No, never!

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • No but maybe as a Bonus track!

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • No but maybe as a B-side!

Votes: 46 15.7%

• Total voters
I used to think that Mercy is really overrated, but I can kinda see why now - I've found I'm listening to it alot recently...

But no, don't put it on the new album, it's already been released as a B-Side, I want to hear new songs.

Mercy hasn't been released as a b-side. . . it hasn't been officially released at all. it should be on the next album, and at least should be played live.

NO.

Mercy is a great song. but we know it already and it has been released already.

We want to get the most out of the new album - and that is NEW content.

Maybe Bono had a plan when he gave the cd with Mercy to the girl who uploaded it? He wanted a real great song to be famous, but not released. A song that everybody talks about.

Peterrrrr said:
Maybe Bono had a plan when he gave the cd with Mercy to the girl who uploaded it? He wanted a real great song to be famous, but not released. A song that everybody talks about.

Bono didn't give it to her. Why is that myth still circulating?

But if Bono gave it to someone, myabe had a plan when he gave the cd with Mercy to the girl who uploaded it? He wanted a real great song to be famous, but not released. :)

Peterrrrr said:
But if Bono gave it to someone, myabe had a plan when he gave the cd with Mercy to the girl who uploaded it? He wanted a real great song to be famous, but not released. :)

Didn't you just read the quote neutral gave? :huh:

Here's the breakdown of events:

U2SJ met Bono. He told her to look out for Mercy because he liked it and had already been quoted in print as saying it is "the best b-side you will hear".

Two weeks later, a friend of U2SJ's gave U2SJ a CD with Mercy on it. She does not know how this friend got the CD. Presumably it did not come through Bono. Some have voiced the suspicion that it came from the CD stolen during a photo shoot and I'd suspect there is some truth to that speculation.

Bono and U2 did not intentionally leak Mercy!

Somewhere early in this thread someone pointed out that whether Mercy is or is not on the album is not of utmost importance (whether or not you love the song). What's important is that the band craft an album as a whole. A cohesive work of art. Bono was quoted in Rollingstone a while back (when his face was plastered on the cover and when he "reviewed" all their albums) as saying something to the effect: "the HTDAAB songs are some of the best we've ever written...but as a whole they don't come together to make a great album, and it f-ing pisses me off". I'm too lazy to go look up the exact quote, but that was more or less it. So the good thing is, Bono realizes that they were overconcerned with individual songs on Bomb. Which I ultimately agree with. I think that a lot of the people who trash Bomb would enjoy many of the songs much more if they were a part of a cohesive whole. Singles are great, but albums can change lives. But they need to have that "magic" that ties it together and makes you want to listen to it straight through again as soon as it's done. AB has this magic, HTDAAB doesn't. U2 knows this. It will be rectified and I have great hopes for the next album. If you want confidence that Bono knows very well the complaints that most of you have about the last 2 albums, please read the Rollingstone interview. It will give hope to the biggest cynics.

Last edited:
Ok, I found the real quotes. First on HTDAAB: "It's the best collection of songs we've put together--there's no weak songs. But as an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it fucking annoys me". Now, I know many people will take issue with his claim that there are "no weak songs", but at least he realizes there's something missing. This is further fleshed out with: "We could've made a dramatic guitar-driven album. But we couldn't get to the magic. It was strange: We had the craft, but we hadn't the magic." Contrast this with what he says about AB: "It's a great album. Like all great albums, it's almost impossible to figure out how you could've made it. It is way beyond the sum of its parts". And finally I leave you with this regarding ATYCLB and HTDAAB: "They're full of better songs than AB and JT, but they're not sonically as sophisticated". Now, even though I like where Bono's head's at in this interview for the most part, I think he is somewhat mistaken here. Basically, he thinks his lyrics are getting better, and that the 80s are full of "unfinished lyrics". Well, no. There are many more cringe-worthy lines now. But honestly, if he thinks that and if that continues, that is not the most important thing. Because Bono realizes that sonically AB and JT are way ahead. With a little extrapolating, we can see that he wants this back for the band. We will see a more sonically cohesive and advanced album next. Or at least Bono's thinking that way. And you know that the Edge will be thinking that way. So if we're back into a 45-50 minutes sonic experience, I don't care as much if Bono sings about kissing newborns. To me, that is of secondary importance. Bringing this back to Mercy, I think that the song is one that would better fit into a larger whole. It could be one song on a 50 minute masterpiece. If it was on HTDAAB, it would not have accomplished much--just another (if extraodinary) great song in a different vein from the others. I don't think U2 will have need for it on the next album personally. I just like how Bono seems to be thinking in albums (at least as of Nov 05) and not as much in songs maybe. Cheers.

Mercy is not a b-side and has not been released, some long term U2 fanatics, like myself have never heard it and would love to hear it. Just because some people have managed to come across it some of us haven't.If it really is so great why not put it on the new album, if it fits with what else is on it of course.
I remember it being said that Mercy would be a b side on something or other to celebrate some anniversary or other but it never was, so I assume they are either saving it for the next album or an eventual third greatest hits.

Agreed JMScoopy. On average we only get 3 new U2 songs a year. So maybe only 30-40 more for the rest of our lives!

JMScoopy said:
why would you want a song that you already have heard taking up a space on the new album in place of a new song?

Because it's wonderful. Probably better than 90% of anything they will come up with in these current recording sessions.

The song is so raw...so moving. Yeah, the lyrics are a bit clunky at times, but they're mixed with some real gems (I also enjoy the "binary code" line, sort of).

It could definitely use some work, but once polished up a bit more (keep the 6 minute length though) and some quick lyric changes, we'll have a classic on our hands.

I believe there's a good shot of us seeing it on the next album, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm going to go ahead and claim that there is definitely NOT a good shot of it being on the next album. Not because I'm completely against it, but because I don't think U2 would do that when they know it's been "released" (even if only to the diehards). Maybe another song with some similar elements or even closely related parts. Now that I think about it though, I want U2 to construct a cohesive album in a short time span. No more pulling in 10 producers and taking hooks, lyrics, and guitar bits from literally any session in the last decade. Personally, I think that'd make for a much better (and certainly fresher) new album.

Back
Top Bottom