The beauty (and difficulty) of listening to Pop...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Zoocoustic has officially stated that the only possible reason a person could not like Pop is because it's so heavy and deep.

Originally posted by brettig:

*seconds that motion*
biggrin.gif

my boot right up your ass,
now that's deep and heavy

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Pop is definitely one of my favorite U2 album! It took me THREE months to enjoy Mofo and Miami, but still... Please and Gone are just killer songs!! Do you feel loved should be played live and just the band... No electronic stuff. I always wondered if they could put out an accoustic version of Mofo??? The fact stand : I love that record!

Originally posted by Salome:
okay, the next one who makes it sound like 'an official statement' that the only possible reason one doesn't like POP is because "it's so heavy and deep" will suffer

I'm with you there.

------------------
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate

pop is the album that introduced u2 to me.
my second fav album behind AB.
i loved the whole u2 image during pop.
and of course popmart..............the greatest show on earth bar none,well maybe slane 1 and 2 and msg3

I noticed this thread the minute it started, 'cause I really love Pop. Even feel a little protective of the album, having been flamed
icon24.gif
on *AHEM* [another board] when I tried to start a discussion about it. I'm just so proud *sniff* to find a cool discussion under such a title. Thanks, Zoocoustic, I really enjoy your observations.
The novelty of ATYCLB (plus the tour) has skewed the guage a little, but I've gone on record saying Pop is their best album. JT will probably always be my emotional "favourite" (that's another conversation), and AB is relentlessly seductive, especially tangled up with ZooTV like it is, but Pop...is the most substantial record they've made. And Mofo, bar none, is the best f*cking thing they ever put on record.
Funny thing is, I wasn't even around for Pop! I took an unintentional kind of hiatus from U2 and from rock in general from about '93-'98 (GAD! that long??) I fell hard into classical, and considering 4 or 5 centuries of music to catch up on, I guess 5 years isn't so long...anyway, on the car radio one day, I heard U2 -- Bono's beloved voice -- doing a song I didn't know (SATS). UNACCEPTABLE.
wink.gif
So I went and bought Zooropa, and two weeks later, Pop. Was still struggling with Zooropa, though I wanted to give it some time before letting Pop in... they are both of a piece, spiritually, but where the first album gropes, the second album finds, and Pop quickly commanded my attention.

They visited my town on the Popmart tour, too, and believe me, although deep into Beethoven and Verdi, I considered going. But the name, and the implied theme, of the tour discouraged me! I actually thought that, with the brilliant ZooTV, they had already covered the ironies of pop culture, that now they were only milking the joke's punchline. I wasn't sufficiently motivated. The local news at 11 showed me their entrance onstage that night, however...
Oh, how my heart swelled: "God, I LOVE those guys!" was my unanticipated response to that footage. I should have been there. A year later, I was; reassured by the depth of the band on the album, impatient with myself for doubting them.

Out of all of this, I experienced Pop. U2 in the darkness, the enduring chill...where poets speak their heart, then bleed for it... Which they did.
I could write forever about every track, but let me say only this for now: I still don't like Miami as a song. But as a part of this overall experience, it now works for me. It's the world of Pop at its coldest, and therefore integral to it. Playboy Mansion seemed, yes, a lark on first listen, but it is silky and easy to listen to (today it struck me how it reminds me musically of Grace!); and that gospel coda at the end is magnetic, lodging it into the spiritual desperation of Zooropa : then will there be no time for sorrow/then will there be no time for pain... The sorrow and pain in that song is too, too real. I can't imagine the album without it.
And Velvet Dress is unlike anything Bono ever did before -- and I thought So Cruel was unnerving! IYWTVD is to Achtung Baby (Johnny, take a walk with your sister the moon) as Wake Up Dead Man is to JT (but yes, I'm still runnin'!): bitter, and angry.
Pop is their darkness, perfectly realized. Yet, for a band so dedicated to the Light, it somehow cannot be their ultimate album, you know? Which is where ATYCLB comes in -- back-to-back albums, imagine! -- Faith, tempered by experience. Joy, coloured by pain. They've never made a record (or produced a tour) that wasn't perceived through their last one. Don't believe for one second that ATYCLB or Elevation was "easy" or lazy ... they argue with Popmart every time out, on all kind of levels.
God love 'em for it!

Man, I guess I had to get that out of my system
rolleyes.gif
But it always feels good on Interference
biggrin.gif
*tuckered out now*

love,
Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Pop is amazing and one of their and music's greatest records. Great production - very original. It's kindo of like a rock 'n' roll record but in a different kind of way. rock 'n' roll meets techno.
Saying that though ATYCLB is all about the songs and is more consistent and complete as an album.

I agree with everyone that Pop is an underrated album. I love it because I know that it was a hard album for the band to make, yet there are several lights shining through it. However, i love the single versions of the songs much more then the album versions. Please is much more haunting and Last Night on Earth is much more rocking. Sometimes you can only listen to certain songs when you are in a certain mood. Moving from "do you feel loved" to "Velvet" can be a real weird feeling. I was a brave album to put out and U2 has the biggest balls to stand behind it!

Originally posted by PopFly:
No, it was that stupid Discotheque video. The Village People? Come on.

I agree with you there. Although I've always loved the songs I nerver really knew what band, etc. played them until I watched Blown Away in 1997. Unfortunately the next thing I watched was the Discotheque video, any interest sparked by the movie was completely extinguished by the video. Very scary indeed. Looking back on it, I can appreciate it much more and completely love it, it was just to unexpected back then.

I don't why it is but I also agree that I kind of get lost when it gets to Miami. I lived there for 10 years and understand where it's coming from, lyrically the last 4 songs are really powerful, and for that I love them. But there's something about the music that completely loses me. It just sounds so amateur compared to the rest of the album, and regardless of comparison I still still don't think it does the lyrics much justice. I don't know I can't quite put my finger on it. I'll give it another spin maybe it will come to me.

But I definately agree with the rollercoaster ride effect of the album. I completely love it. Achtung and JT were so easy to listen to, mainly cause I knew most of the songs already from the radio, not many surprises. Pop overcame all my pessimistic expectations thus I have an extra admiration for it. Even greater after I heard Discotheque and Gone live this tour. It is probably my favorite U2 album or at least tied with JT.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 11-04-2001).]

yup, its the first u2 album i ever bought myself. if i didnt love it i wouldntve bought all the other albums.
its great. but its not really spoken of that much, it's like the black sheep or something. but its great. i love IYWTVD its such nice quiet love song. and have u heard how many guitar are audible on staring at the sun's chorus??? ive tried counting them but its just too well mixed. and ilove the sound. maybe its because a woman produced it...

Back
Top Bottom