The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sleep Over Jack said:

Thanks..does it feel like could have been one of the big 3 Joshua Tree songs, like some have been saying?
I think it's more like a big UF song, actually. But not big in a 'Bad' or a 'Pride' kind of way. More like a 'Sort of Homecomng' kind of way...with the maturity that came later on songs such as 'All I Want Is You'. So to answer you question directly, I would say, no, it wouldn't be one of the big 3 on JT, but perhaps just as good...and definitely the best I've heard from them since 'Stay'.

Michael Griffiths said:

I think it's more like a big UF song, actually. But not big in a 'Bad' or a 'Pride' kind of way. More like a 'Sort of Homecomng' kind of way...with the maturity that came later on songs such as 'All I Want Is You'. So to answer you question directly, I would say, no, it wouldn't be one of the big 3 on JT, but perhaps just as good...

I agree with that! :up:

TheBrazilianFly said:

It does have a little Joshua Tree feeling to it I guess. I posted this in some other thread:

I don't find the beginning of Streets very similar with the beginning of COBL. It's classic 80's U2 with those high notes sounds from Edge's guitar.

I think this song has a mix of sounds from the atmospheric sounds and feel from The Unforgettable Fire and the guitars from Achtung Baby but at the same time with the maturity that we got from All That You Can't Leave Behind. :up:

Hey Michael maybe I can send you the song by e-mail.

Wow it sounds intense AND stately!:drool:

Michael Griffiths said:

I think it's more like a big UF song, actually. But not big in a 'Bad' or a 'Pride' kind of way. More like a 'Sort of Homecomng' kind of way...with the maturity that came later on songs such as 'All I Want Is You'. So to answer you question directly, I would say, no, it wouldn't be one of the big 3 on JT, but perhaps just as good...and definitely the best I've heard from them since 'Stay'.

You have said exactly what I would have.

Did you find that link yet? I posted one here one the last page. Cleaner sound.

Michael Griffiths said:

See I think a lot of the stuff on UF sound like embryos for Joshua Tree, so I can see why people would make the JT comparison :) I'm pleased that the widescreen passionate U2 sound is all over this song at least:up:

Awesome! Can't wait to hear the full version....is this version really over 5 minutes long?

Roland of G: I will relish writing my view of this song. So far, my favourite part (other than the great singalong chorus) is the falsetto that kind of goes up, up more, and then down, and finally up even higher in a very melodic way. Totally live (on stage) UF.

Michael Griffiths said:
Awesome! Can't wait to hear the full version....is this version really over 5 minutes long?

It's not. I don't think they played the full version on the rehearsal or during the real thing, maybe people just got it wrong.

Michael Griffiths said:

You've been to Kits?? Are you talking about the Kings Head? There are a number of pubs in Kits...some better than others! Yew Street is my favourite hangout.

It was more of a club than a pub. Those were the good ol'days. Then I met my wife and she cured me of the drink. (this is sounding a lot like the Unforgiven :wink: )
I haven't been down Yew Street in ages. SFU grad '96.

TheBrazilianFly said:

It's not. I don't think they played the full version on the rehearsal or during the real thing, maybe people just got it wrong.

the running time of this version of the song was 4:18

Roland of G: haha. Too funny. And where have you relocated yourself?

BrazilianFly: I haven't received the file yet...did you already send it by chance? Sometimes yahoo is a bit late on these things.

Michael Griffiths said:
The Blazers are awesome.

I wish it were true man. I really wish it were. Its been something like 3 years since the word "awesome" last met the word "Blazers." I'll think of you when the Rockets come to town. "Please Rockets, don't beat us up too much!":wink:

Me = Blazer Season Ticketholder. :reject:

Roland of Gilead said:
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I'll hear Vertigo at the next hockey game. I haven't heard it yet. They keep playing that coconut joe song. :banghead:

:wink:

slightly OT, there is a labour dispute going on with the NHL, so no hockey this year is the looks of it, two months of the season have already been cancelled officially and the future doesn't look bright :sad:

Back
Top Bottom