The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I’ve been blown away by the awesomeness that is City Of Blinding Lights. So far I think it’s the best one I’ve heard (even better than the snippets from MD and LAPOE, but of course I haven’t heard them like this). It’s amazing how U2 can still come up with these kinds of songs that has the same energy and level of quality than their previous songs.

As I have said many times before, Adam never disappoints I think that one might be on of his top 5 basslines for me and to tell you the truth it’s what makes COBL so good to me. Larry’s drums seem to be quite good too, very dynamic (differently from ATYCLB), Edge’s guitar on this song is another indication that this indeed might be his album and Bono, well the guy is the master, great melody and I liked what I understood from the lyrics. I think I give this a 10/10. Can’t wait for the studio version!

Please post your thoughts on City Of Blinding Lights here.

Simply the best song I've ever told myself I wouldn't download but did anyway. I agree: the best song since 'Stay', which makes it even better than 'Miss Sarajevo'! And that chorus? "All. You. Look. So. Beautiful. Tonight....." Genius. And to think there are at least two songs on the album that will be better than this one. Unreal. U2 have done it again.

Blinding Lights! Awesome! Where in the heck are they gonna place it on the Tour set list?! Final song? Kick off the encore? Holy Smokes! Imagine it live with 75,000 people!

Yeah and the exciting thing is that COBL hasen't even been hyped on the reviews as much as SYCMOYO. :hyper:

But the REALLY exciting thing is that in this live version that we have heard the song lasts for 3:30. The reviews said in the album it lasts for 5:44. :ohmy: So we still have more 2 minutes to listen. :drool:

i am speechless after listening to this song.....it almost brought tears to my eyes....

epic masterpiece, and yes, the song on the album is almost 6 minutes. this is only a glimpse of its brilliance. sorry for the hyperbole...i am just so excited right now

that said, i still really like this song. sounds like itll be really good. somebody that heard it live (twice today) in the other thread in the other forum said that it rivals streets. that has a lot of hype to live up to to me when i hear the full version.

from the clip so far though it sounds pretty good, i dunno if i'd give it all the best song ever by u2 accalades yet as some have though

so far, we've heard:
vertigo
love and peace or else
city of blinding lights
all because of you

now, the last 3 not even in their entirety, and they blow vertigo out of the water.
and those 3 are supposedly not even the best on the album????:faint:

jesus jumpin christ....this album could be everything they said it is.
:applaud: :dance: :shocked:

JOFO said:
so far, we've heard:
vertigo
love and peace or else
city of blinding lights
all because of you

now, the last 3 not even in their entirety, and they blow vertigo out of the water.

Don't forget Miracle Drug...

JOFO said:
so far, we've heard:
vertigo
love and peace or else
city of blinding lights
all because of you

i'm pretty sure we've heard miracle drug (unless i'm mixing it up with another song) and that also sounds awesome

Remember guys, this isn't even the full song we heard. The real version is almost 6 minutes. There's probably a solo or some extra singing we didn't hear yet.

shart1780 said:
Remember guys, this isn't even the full song we heard. The real version is almost 6 minutes. There's probably a solo or some extra singing we didn't hear yet.

Yep. What we've heard is the SINGLE version. :wink:

Anyone else feeling a little guilty for listening to this crap recording of such an amazing song? Imagine hearing this for the first time on CD quality while caught up in the frenzy of the first listen to the entire album? Guess I'll never know what that will be like now. :sad:

It would be cool if the studio version had a solo but I don't think it will. I think it might have a different ending with a bigger climax or maybe a slightly longer intro. :yes:

By the way this song seems to be a mix between UF, AB and ATYCLB. All together form something totally different but with an intimate feel to it. Pure class. :up:

Michael Griffiths said:
Anyone else feeling a little guilty for listening to this crap recording of such an amazing song? Imagine hearing this for the first time on CD quality while caught up in the frenzy of the first listen to the entire album? Guess I'll never know what that will be like now. :sad:

actually i find that first listens don't catch your ear anyways.. this way when you listen to a song for the first time you push yourself to listen to it a few times because its bad quality its harder to discern and by the time the studio quality version comes out you learn to love it and know what to look for :)

Michael Griffiths said:

I think I feel the same. Even though I’m happy that I heard the song maybe I wish I had first listened to it on the album. But we still have many other songs to discover yet in it's entirety and original studio form. But let's look to the positive side of it: we still have 2 extra minutes that we don't know from COBL.

bcrt2000 said:

actually i find that first listens don't catch your ear anyways.. this way when you listen to a song for the first time you push yourself to listen to it a few times because its bad quality its harder to discern and by the time the studio quality version comes out you learn to love it and know what to look for :)
I did think about that, too. But the surprise....it's all about the surprise!!!! In full stereo!!! haha Thanks, though. I feel a bit better because of what you wrote. :)

Michael Griffiths said:

Don't worry Michael, just cause you had sex in the back of a car instead of a bed doesn't matter. The release was the same. :wink:

TheBrazilianFly said:
It would be cool if the studio version had a solo but I don't think it will. I think it might have a different ending with a bigger climax or maybe a slightly longer intro. :yes:

By the way this song seems to be a mix between UF, AB and ATYCLB. All together form something totally different but with an intimate feel to it. Pure class. :up:

sounds like these:
Bad (hooo oooh hooo)
Where The Streets Have No Name(Guitar)
Hands that Built America (Dark but Hopeful Atmosphere + Lyrics)

But at the end of the day, you can't really say they derived it from these songs... but it does feel like they took the Joshua Tree sound and pushed it to the 21st Century with darker and more real feelings, without getting too lost in personal feelings, like AB does

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom