***Survivor: Not even one more chance to be in the competition again (Singles Top 7)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For/Spanish Eyes/Deep In The Heart

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Where The Streets Have No Name/Silver And Gold/The Sweetest Thing (original version)/Race Against Ti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All I Want Is You (single edit and album version)/Unchained Melody/Everlasting Love

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • The Fly/Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk-Korova 1/The Lounge Fly Mix

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • One/Lady With The Spinning Head/Satellite Of Love/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stay (Faraway, So Close!)/I've Got You Under My Skin/Slow Dancing (without Willie Nelson)/Lemon (Bad

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
stagman said:
Luminous Times and especially Bass Trap don't compare to Silver and Gold or Sweetest Thing.

Yeah, Luminous Times and Bass Trap don't compare because they're so much better than Silver And Gold or Sweetest Thing.

KhanadaRhodes said:
and one is one of the most overrated singles (and songs!) ever.

Agreed! I don't see what's so special about the single - well, OK, it has one good b-side, but then it has a cover and a remix of a cover! It takes a very special cover to earn my favour, i.e. Dancing Barefoot or the LIVE Night And Day.

Axver said:
Agreed! I don't see what's so special about the single - well, OK, it has one good b-side, but then it has a cover and a remix of a cover! It takes a very special cover to earn my favour, i.e. Dancing Barefoot or the LIVE Night And Day.
i guess because so many people love one so much. i remember when we had the song survivor and one was the resounding favourite of everyone on the board - except me, it seemed. i think once we got down to the top 10 i kept voting off one but i was definitely in the minority.

so now i'm curious: for those of who do prefer one, is it just because of the a-side, or do you like the b-sides as well? i'm honestly curious to hear everyone's opinion.

axver, what would you say is your favourite b-side?

edit: i will admit though that i really like lady with the spinning head. is this the extended dance mix though? cuz that version is definitely the best. but that song alone wouldn't make me keep it in the countdown.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

i guess because so many people love one so much. i remember when we had the song survivor and one was the resounding favourite of everyone on the board - except me, it seemed. i think once we got down to the top 10 i kept voting off one but i was definitely in the minority.

Yeah, I remember that, and it came down to Streets and One, and I just could not believe that One won. Streets is the ultimate U2 song for me while One ... it's just a U2 song. Which means it's great, but I don't feel particularly strongly or favour it.

axver, what would you say is your favourite b-side?

Spanish Eyes, very closely followed by Luminous Times. They're 10 and 11 on my list of best U2 songs.

edit: i will admit though that i really like lady with the spinning head. is this the extended dance mix though? cuz that version is definitely the best. but that song alone wouldn't make me keep it in the countdown.

The extended dance mix was kicked out It's on the EBTTRT single. The one on the One single is just the original version.

Axver said:
Yeah, I remember that, and it came down to Streets and One, and I just could not believe that One won. Streets is the ultimate U2 song for me while One ... it's just a U2 song. Which means it's great, but I don't feel particularly strongly or favour it.
yeah, i don't get it either. although i should probably shut up about it before we have another 11 o'clock tick tock on our hands.

Axver said:
Spanish Eyes, very closely followed by Luminous Times. They're 10 and 11 on my list of best U2 songs.
really? those are my favourite too. i think in terms of b-sides, the joshua tree (and rattle and hum to an extent, although they had a lot more covers then) is the best era. after rattle and hum started the downward spiral where you'd get 1000 remixes and maybe an original song (or at least a cover) if you were lucky.

Axver said:
The extended dance mix was kicked out It's on the EBTTRT single. The one on the One single is just the original version.
that's what i thought. the extended dance mix is much better, the original is just so ehh.

KhanadaRhodes said:
really? those are my favourite too. i think in terms of b-sides, the joshua tree (and rattle and hum to an extent, although they had a lot more covers then) is the best era. after rattle and hum started the downward spiral where you'd get 1000 remixes and maybe an original song (or at least a cover) if you were lucky.

Ugh, remixes. I can count on one hand the number of remixes that I like.

It's a shame U2 didn't use some of the incredible material they created in the JT/Lovetown era: She's A Mystery To Me, Wild Irish Rose, My Time Hasn't Come, et cetera. Though what they did release was just amazing.

And regarding RAH covers, the live All Along The Watchtower was some of the best rocking U2, and I adore Dancing Barefoot. I don't think of them as covers; U2 took them and owned them. Sheer brilliance.

stagman said:
For me Streets is the Ultimate U2 song and Spanish Eyes the best B-side.
See Axver I can agree with you on some things.:wink:

:up: More people should think that way!

"Spanish Eyes" is easily their greatest B-Side, no contest.

Oh, and Axver, tomorrow!!!!!! :drool: I'll be sure to tell you all about my first time when I get back on Monday. :wink:

Axver said:
Ugh, remixes. I can count on one hand the number of remixes that I like.
finally someone who agrees with me! :love:

i like some remixes, i've got almost all of the fruitlegs downloaded. however, i don't like most of them. i usually like the original version better. :shrug:

i think every artist has songs that they demoed for a particular album, didn't use, and the fans wish they had. i can think of one duran duran song in particular that got the fucking shaft in lieu of a shittier song :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

finally someone who agrees with me! :love:

i like some remixes, i've got almost all of the fruitlegs downloaded. however, i don't like most of them. i usually like the original version better. :shrug:

Let's see if I was right about counting on one hand. Here's the remixes I like. The ones in italics, I think are better than the original.

- Wire (Dub Mix)
- Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)
- Dirty Day (Junk Day)
- I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

And re: LWTSH versus Extended Dance Mix - haven't listened to either in ages so I can't remember which one I prefer! Should put it on. Also, I don't know if it really counts, but Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) [Zoo Station Remix] is awesome.

i think every artist has songs that they demoed for a particular album, didn't use, and the fans wish they had. i can think of one duran duran song in particular that got the fucking shaft in lieu of a shittier song :hmm:

Well, the following I just don't understand:
- We know Bono swapped Heartland for Trip Through Your Wires on JT to make the record lighter and less critical, but WHY did he use Trip Through Your Wires rather than Spanish Eyes?
- Not putting Heartland on JT or even playing it live.
- Not using Wild Irish Rose or She's A Mystery To Me (even though they played the latter live!), but using Love Rescue Me!
- Putting Helter Skelter on RAH rather than Dancing Barefoot.
- Not developing My Time Hasn't Come more.

UF/JT/Lovetown is my favourite era, but there's so much they could've done ... oh, if they had done it, that era would be unbeatable. :drool:

Last edited:
Axver said:
UF/JT/Lovetown is my favourite era, but there's so much they could've done ... oh, if they had done it, that era would be unbeatable. :drool:
:yes: (although i prefer ab/zooropa/pop)

oh and even if you include lady with the spinning head on your remixes list, that's still enough to fit on one hand. :D

You've got a point about LWTSH Extended Dance Remix! It goes on the list.

:rockon:

the tourist said:
Spanish Eyes is U2's best b-side. By far. By. Far.

Best b-side, yes. By far? No. Two words: Luminous Times. Two more: Dancing Barefoot. Another two: Bass Trap. Three this time: The Three Sunrises.

:drool:

Axver said:

Two words: Luminous Times. :drool:

Hey Ax........

Why wouldn't you include "Walk To The Water" in your theory of
best B-sides ??? Don't know why .... but this song NEVER gets
the recognition it deserves !! Excellent B-side ... one of my faves!

Hey Ax........ Why wouldn't you include "Walk To The Water" in your theory of

Walk to the Water is my favourite b-side, I think it's much better than Luminous Times:madspit:

Love comes Tumbling and Unchained Melody are also amazing, they deserve more recognition:yes:

MsMofoGone said:

Hey Ax........

Why wouldn't you include "Walk To The Water" in your theory of

I actually didn't really like Walk To The Water for the longest time, then I played it one day and I thought "this is a really good song". Definitely a quality b-side! :up: WOWY is such an awesome single.

If I had to choose between ISHFWILF and WOWY, though, ISHFWILF gets my vote. Spanish Eyes is only slightly better than Luminous Times and Deep In The Heart is about equal with Walk To The Water for me ...

Axver said:
I actually didn't really like Walk To The Water for the longest time, then I played it one day and I thought "this is a really good song". Definitely a quality b-side! :up: WOWY is such an awesome single.
this is what i thought too. :|

are you like the male version of me or something?

KhanadaRhodes said:

this is what i thought too. :|

are you like the male version of me or something?

:laugh:

No. You like the Zoochtung era best. :wink:

The one GOOD record left is 'Where the Streets Have No Name' or 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. Shame on you, interference.

for all those who have voted for the fly, go and put Achtung Baby into your CD player, forward to track 7, play it and realise the mistake you have made by voting it off here.

That's all folks

1stepcloser said:
for all those who have voted for the fly, go and put Achtung Baby into your CD player, forward to track 7, play it and realise the mistake you have made by voting it off here.

The Fly is wayyyyyyyy too "over-rated" now ....

so voting it off .... is NOT a mistake ....... it's damn well brilliant !!

1stepcloser said:

That's all folks

:up: Bloody right.

And if you ask me, The Fly is better than all the other a-sides left apart from Streets.

Back
Top Bottom