Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's true. No Line was the third classic initially, according to most of us here. But the initially annoying middle three became a fatal flaw over time.
My fear is the quest for pop relevancy will do the same with this album.

But I'm still amped. New U2 music 32 years after my fandom began is pretty cool!

I was one of them no line fan boys now it's easily in my bottom 2 u2 albums

Agreed here.

There's no reason U2 can't have two songs out at one time. I mean, they've released about 15 versions of Best Thing.

Meanwhile, Tay Tay who is probably much owner of the charts in recent years, released two songs within a few weeks of each other.

What is Tay Tay ?!

I'm so glad that RD brings us godawful puns in between sweet news.

I'm not even joking.

No, I really did think they'd used the studio take with crowd noise inserted. A raw take, sure, but they've talked about doing something raw for ages and I thought maybe we were finally going to get a couple of tracks with that "live in the studio" sort of production vibe.

It's definitely the implication I got from the song reveal too. They didn't say "hey here's a live version of a new song", just "here's a song from the album". We've all seen plenty of "live" music videos before with some crowd noise added to the studio take.
I think they used a half live, half recorded version... similar to Invisible on the Tonight Show or Beautiful Day from Top of the Pops.

Any goss on this (hopefully) possible release tomorrow?

nothing specific. The message I'm getting is just be patient, news is coming soon. Hoping that means tomorrow, but I suppose that could easily mean next week

Dont mind some of those lyrics.... Except maybe for Shadow Man... but it is always different when its in the Song

Well. I haven't heard the interview yet, but read the write up on U2songs.

Like Headache and some others said, using Kite as a foundation or touchpoint is music to my ears. Definitely my favorite post2000 U2 song, and probably my top 3 for them. It just is so incredibly moving and genuine. THIS is what I'm hoping for in some way with SOE.

This is much harder said than done. I like the concept of Bono getting personal and telling those he loves how he feels, last words, best advice, etc... But to do it, and NOT come off over wrought, or cheesy, or stilted in the delivery lyric wise, is a much harder task.
I am worried with some of the lyrics i read. But have to admit, that if i had read the lyrics to Zooropa (the song) I probably would have hated it. But its a top song of mine.
Also, the first 4 songs that we have heard (in all their different states) have been really good IMO, so that gives me some confidence.

Flannigan saying its the best since AB, is a hard thing to gauge. Obviously he's not going to slag the album while interviewing Bono. But it gives me hope that its at least on the top of the heap of the post-2000 material.

After reading the lyrics a few times to The Showman, I gotta say that those lyrics are the ones that actually look the best to me. Some clever stuff there, and I think it could be really cool.

Also, i am getting a whole different feel of Summer of Love now... Before it was all about it being sparse and beautiful. Now described as a sexy song with a dark undertow... I like both descriptions but seem contradictory to me. And kind of a strange set up, of starting about a couple of privelage talking about moving to California??? hmmmm.... we shall see.

And why must one of the bonus songs be called 'The Book of Your Heart' ??? sigh... Too much heart/love going on already.
That gave me another twinge of uncertainty about the album being just too... quaint.

Can't wait to hear more as we get closer. And someone please track down the Blackout Snippet!!

cheers all

last week, I noted Bono would be on the cover of a magazine that is fond to the band in the middle of next month.

as of now, that is no longer the case.

this is due to a scheduling conflict more than anything as far as i know.

Is the interview really not available anywhere to listen to? Have to wait til Saturday to hear it again?

If so, is anyone here with XM able to capture the section with The Blackout clip being played?

can't imagine that SOE is the best since AB since every song released or played so far are worse songs - melodies, lyrics, music- anything on Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, SOI, and NLOTH.

I know it was only 30 seconds, but 'Blackout' album version sounded a bit more 'polished' and less-raw than the video version. That would be unfortunate.

can't imagine that SOE is the best since AB since every song released or played so far are worse songs - melodies, lyrics, music- anything on Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, SOI, and NLOTH.

It's the typical hype. I recall the last 2 records specifically given that title of the best since AB.

I fully expect the album to have a few that could potentially crack my top 15-20 songs but for it to be a classic album, I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom