Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Me too.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #137
War Child

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
If SOE is their last, 14 albums in total doesn't sit well with my OCD, I just don't think 14 is a very sexy number, whereas 15 is nice and round!
There are tons of material . If u2 quit, we'll have more releases than we've had the last ten years. So get another OCD for the next 15 albums.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #138
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
By the "lead single"? quite often yes. But sometimes it's most successful single, that will lift the album to greater heights.

But yes, Miracle, Boots, and Discotheque all make a strong argument that the lead single can put off enough people at the start to hobble an albums ultimate popularity.
I don't disagree completely but I'd take out Discotheque as an example. It was #10 Billboard Hot 100 and a #1 Modern Rock track. If The Best Thing reached that now, we'd say U2 is back in full form.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #139
Refugee

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackjester View Post
I don't disagree completely but I'd take out Discotheque as an example. It was #10 Billboard Hot 100 and a #1 Modern Rock track. If The Best Thing reached that now, we'd say U2 is back in full form.
Yes. But, at the time most non-U2 people and even many U2 fans were fairly derisive of Discotheque (Headache - can I just call it 'D'?).
U2 had done well with Achtung/ZooTV but they weren't as cool as some here seem to think. They were still too old, trying too hard etc - even then.

The Batman movie helped cause, in the age of grunge etc, Hold Me was a seriously cool and well received song.

Then they came out with Discotheque. And Village People costumes. And BOOM CHA!

It's a fucking brilliant song. But at the time, I would argue, was a terrible lead single.

Now, imagine if they'd kept Hold Me Thrill Me exactly as it was, but not released it till 97. And THAT was Pop's lead single. FARK!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #140
War Child

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Yes. But, at the time most non-U2 people and even many U2 fans were fairly derisive of Discotheque (Headache - can I just call it 'D'?).
U2 had done well with Achtung/ZooTV but they weren't as cool as some here seem to think. They were still too old, trying too hard etc - even then.

The Batman movie helped cause, in the age of grunge etc, Hold Me was a seriously cool and well received song.

Then they came out with Discotheque. And Village People costumes. And BOOM CHA!

It's a fucking brilliant song. But at the time, I would argue, was a terrible lead single.

Now, imagine if they'd kept Hold Me Thrill Me exactly as it was, but not released it till 97. And THAT was Pop's lead single. FARK!
I always thought Mofo would have made an amazing lead single for Pop. Discotheque doesn't do it for me, as a lead single or a song in general. To each their own, but Mofo, that would've been grand.

HMTMKMKM is one of my favourite U2 songs, but I like it as it is, released in '95 with all the batman hype. Although it IS a shame it's not on an album.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #141
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:51 AM
It blows my mind that Gone was not a single at all. It should have led Pop. Loud enough to get attention and build on the popularity of HMTMKMKM, but straightforward enough to keep older fans on-side. Mofo would've been hella cool, a risk like The Fly, but I suspect it would've alienated the crowd who already felt left out by Zooropa (and were, indeed, further alienated by Discotheque) and held wide open the door for people to accuse U2 of trend-hopping (which happened anyway with Discotheque).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #142
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It blows my mind that Gone was not a single at all.
True. For a time it was my fave on the album. But I felt then, and still do, that it wasn't quite reaching the level it should have. It kinda had the same issue as Staring at the Sun. So nearly great. But not quite.

I think it was just a bit too pondery. That thumping rhythm was great but a bit slow. A bit laboured. And the only chorus that really took off for me was the last one where Bono adds "I'm still holding on".

So yeah. The Gone I wished they'd made would have kicked arse. Not sure the one on the album would have worked so well.

Mofo - great statement, but I remember playing it to non-U2-fan friends in 1997 and they were bored.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Don’t get me wrong with my Discotheque example. I love that tune. Has one of the greatest riffs ever. And the song itself wasn’t really the whole issue. I think it was more the non-musical mistakes the band made at that point. The video, the Kmart announcement, the tour coming up too fast etc... just turned people off.

Whatever the first single was, it was going to be anticipated and have a big reception, but it was everything else that dragged it down.
I think that Staring at the sun actually could have worked really well as the first, or Do You Feel Loved or maybe mofo. But whatever it was, it needed to be paired with a better video and launch to be welcomed by the larger public.
They overplayed their hand and got it slapped.

Seems like this happens to them a lot. R&H, POP, SOI/Apple...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
It blows my mind that Gone was not a single at all. It should have led Pop. Loud enough to get attention and build on the popularity of HMTMKMKM, but straightforward enough to keep older fans on-side. Mofo would've been hella cool, a risk like The Fly, but I suspect it would've alienated the crowd who already felt left out by Zooropa (and were, indeed, further alienated by Discotheque) and held wide open the door for people to accuse U2 of trend-hopping (which happened anyway with Discotheque).
Oh shit! yes, Gone! I don’t know what I was thinking. Would have been an incredible lead single. It’s a song that could have been on Achtung. Had a rock and alternative rock appeal. Would have kept old fans happy and drawn new ones in . Good call!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #145
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Quote:
Fucking A.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think with "Gone", the album version is not exciting enough to be the lead single (even though I think I prefer the album version). If they would've released a version that sounds similar to the Mexico City DVD version as their lead single, pair it with a kickass video, and that would've been a fucking hit. That's got 1997 post-grunge alt-rock written all over it! POP in general would've fared much better after that, even with songs like Mofo, Discotheque and Miami to throw off the 80's fans. Hindsight's 20/20, as they say...

That said, I hate the "Gone (new mix)" that was put on the Best of 90-00. It neither captures the energy of the live versions, nor the subtle nuances of the album version. SKIP.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #147
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The Gone new mix is the definitive version. I've never thought the live version improved much on the studio and the Pop version is not nearly as crisp or sharp.

Can't fathom you people who think it's too slow or whatever. That wailing guitar is amazing and it has one of the band's best choruses.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #148
War Child

I personally think Gone would have been good as the third single, instead of LNOE.

I think this would have worked: Mofo, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please, IGWSHA.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #149
War Child

If Zooropa had 5 singles, what do you think would work?

I'd say:

Stay, Numb, The First Time, Lemon, Dirty Day.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #150
Refugee

Quote:
Can't fathom you people who think it's too slow or whatever. That wailing guitar is amazing and it has one of the band's best choruses.
Wailing guitar is awesome.
Chorus is awesome, especially the last chorus.
But song would benefit from a 10bpm speed increase.