Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MOST POPULAR ALBUMS OF 2017 (SPS)

1. "Divide" Ed Sheeran - 8,257,000
2. "Damn" Kendrick Lamar - 3,416,000
3. "More Life" Drake - 2,988,000
4. "24k Magic" Bruno Mars - 2,503,000 (3,660,000)
5. "Starboy" The Weeknd - 2,372,000 (3,126,000)
6. "Moana" OST - 2,138,000 (2,277,000)
7. "Reputation" Taylor Swift - 1,985,000
8. "Human" Rag'n'Bone Man - 1,826,000
9. "Stoney" Post Malone - 1,774,000
10. "Evolve" Imagine Dragons - 1,615,000

11. "Culture" Migos - 1,485,000
12. "25" Adele - 1,448,000 (21,086,000)
13. "Finally" Namie Amuro - 1,435,000
14. "X" Ed Sheeran -1,431,000 (10,127,000)
15. "Memories... Do Not Open" The Chainsmokers - 1,429,000
16. "The War" Exo - 1,402,000
17. "La La Land" OST - 1,385,000
18. "Harry Styles" Harry Styles - 1,308,000
19. "Beautiful Trauma" P!nk - 1,301,000
20. "Trolls" OST - 1,272,000 (1,751,000)

That's the top 20 selling albums this year. Imagine dragons being band in it doing 1.6 million copies. If u2 can do 2 million in today's market it will be a huge success. 1.5 million plus very good.

Keep in mind, that's not sales only but includes other
Things like streaming. Actual sales numbers are much lower.

A comment on the album, one week after hearing it for the first time:

Throughout this week, I've had every single one of these songs stuck in my head at one point or another. That's a good thing.

What's with all the sales numbers? Also they all seem wrong. Includes steaming? Today some huge bands can't even sell 100K albums. Taylor did a million. I don't care if U2 sells 999 albums. We like it.

I know of a couple of websites that report world wide sales. I have no doubt they will be #1 world wide and expect sales well over 500k.

I'll report on what I find.

All the copies given to everyone who bought tickets should help significantly, right?

MOST POPULAR ALBUMS OF 2017 (SPS)

1. "Divide" Ed Sheeran - 8,257,000
2. "Damn" Kendrick Lamar - 3,416,000
3. "More Life" Drake - 2,988,000
4. "24k Magic" Bruno Mars - 2,503,000 (3,660,000)
5. "Starboy" The Weeknd - 2,372,000 (3,126,000)
6. "Moana" OST - 2,138,000 (2,277,000)
7. "Reputation" Taylor Swift - 1,985,000
8. "Human" Rag'n'Bone Man - 1,826,000
9. "Stoney" Post Malone - 1,774,000
10. "Evolve" Imagine Dragons - 1,615,000

11. "Culture" Migos - 1,485,000
12. "25" Adele - 1,448,000 (21,086,000)
13. "Finally" Namie Amuro - 1,435,000
14. "X" Ed Sheeran -1,431,000 (10,127,000)
15. "Memories... Do Not Open" The Chainsmokers - 1,429,000
16. "The War" Exo - 1,402,000
17. "La La Land" OST - 1,385,000
18. "Harry Styles" Harry Styles - 1,308,000
19. "Beautiful Trauma" P!nk - 1,301,000
20. "Trolls" OST - 1,272,000 (1,751,000)

That's the top 20 selling albums this year. Imagine dragons being band in it doing 1.6 million copies. If u2 can do 2 million in today's market it will be a huge success. 1.5 million plus very good.

Wow - mainstream chart music is the absolute pits. It's incredible that Adele's 25 continues to sell so strongly when it was basically a re release of 21.

Wow - mainstream chart music is the absolute pits. It's incredible that Adele's 25 continues to sell so strongly when it was basically a re release of 21.

Yeah take Adele and ed sheeran out the mix and u struggle to find any artist that can do over 3 million.

If u2 do 2 million it will be a massive success

All the copies given to everyone who bought tickets should help significantly, right?

Not as much as you might think. I think only North American tickets went on sale and not European dates, so it would only help US/Canadian sales.

Even then you would need to redeem the album in order to get it shipped. Based on US results, they will sell about 200k, so maybe 100k from the ticket bundles?

Still helps no doubt but I would expect them to have a WW total close to a million(750k to 1 million).

A 170-200K opening is about what I expected, even if on the low side. I'd be worried about anything below 150K. Good to see they're in the running for a #1, but the narrative will still likely be negative since the sales figures are down compared to NLOTH

A 170-200K opening is about what I expected, even if on the low side. I'd be worried about anything below 150K. Good to see they're in the running for a #1, but the narrative will still likely be negative since the sales figures are down compared to NLOTH

Compare those sales to the current market place and there right near the top

Anyone in the uk received the deluxe boxset off u2.com yet ? Still haven't had mine :-( why are they so shit ????

Nah... People don't sell albums anymore, so only the most bitter of fucks will knock them if they hit #1 and don't sell as much as No Line

Nah... People don't sell albums anymore, so only the most bitter of fucks will knock them if they hit #1 and don't sell as much as No Line

100% past sales are irrelevant now, you can only compare current sales to what everyone else is selling. Take Adele ed sheeran and probably Taylor swift out of the mix and artists aren't selling that many records anymore.

200k in their first week for a band that's been around 40 plus years is ridiculous really and a lot of records to shift

Somebody really made an album called "Memories...Do not Open"? And people bought it?

Holy crap.

Exactly. That album name alone gives away the level of intellect of the band called Chainsmokers. That's probably another awful band with their name starting with alphabet C. Is the alphabet C cursed ?

Exactly. That album name alone gives away the level of intellect of the band called Chainsmokers. That's probably another awful band with their name starting with alphabet C. Is the alphabet C cursed ?
Chainsmokers appear on songs of experience :oops:

Are produced by Ryan Tedder :doubleoops:

They're also not "a band" :tripleoops:

They thanked Bono in the liner notes of the album for inspiration :quadrupleoops:

Bono IS ON THE ALBUM :eek:ooooooooooooooops:

Get Out Of Your Own Way has grown on me so much.

I feel like it's the chimey 2000's U2 arena anthem of the album and "You're the Best Thing..." is a weird lesser version that only dilutes it's presence.

Really YTBTAM should have just been left off the album.

After listening to SOE about 10 times now it's literally the *only* song on the album I don't like.

The album has really gotten better with every listen.

Still not close to their greats but a super super solid effort.

I felt naked after buying the album on iTunes.

So I ordered the CD off Amazon and somehow only got it in only two days. Man, parcel services are fast these days.

Just saw a 15 second tv commercial for SOE during the cricket in Australia - pretty much the video of Sian and Eli with TBT playing over it

wtf...
its on of my favorite songs on SOE...
2 solutions:
-U2 wrote this, tedder pretends it's one republic.. crap
-one republic wrote summer of love , gave the song to U2 , terrible..:sad:
( on the record, the main riff sounds like in is a sample, the song is not usual songwriting for U2 - but they can do it - , so i feel it's the 2nd solution . )

Last edited:
wtf...
its on of my favorite songs on SOE...
2 solutions:
-U2 wrote this, tedder pretends it's one republic.. crap
-one republic wrote summer of love , gave the song to U2 , terrible..:sad:

Not that concerned. I really like the riff and U2 has sampled countless people before (Howard Budd on NLOTH, some obscure thing off Pop, a vocal sample on War, much of RAH) and it works in the context of the song. This is the flip side of the Will.I.Am collaboration.

I felt naked after buying the album on iTunes.

So I ordered the CD off Amazon and somehow only got it in only two days. Man, parcel services are fast these days.

Can i ask, are you US based? Still waiting on my deluxe edition and a little pissed.

Not that concerned. I really like the riff and U2 has sampled countless people before (Howard Budd on NLOTH, some obscure thing off Pop, a vocal sample on War, much of RAH) and it works in the context of the song. This is the flip side of the Will.I.Am collaboration.

they sampled many things on pop too , but not man riffs, here it could be the main riff/chords progression, all the chorus, so basicly, they didnt wrote the whole song... i'm concerned IF tedder wrote this and is not credited as the songwriter.

Last edited:
Chainsmokers appear on songs of experience :oops:

Are produced by Ryan Tedder :doubleoops:

They're also not "a band" :tripleoops:

They thanked Bono in the liner notes of the album for inspiration :quadrupleoops:

Bono IS ON THE ALBUM :eek:ooooooooooooooops:

You have done so much oops that it will be oops overload if I also join you. But... after reading all those information, I have no choice but to say.....

Oops !

they sampled many things on pop too , but not man riffs, here it could be the main riff/chords progression, all the chorus, so basicly, they didnt wrote the whole song... i'm concerned IF tedder wrote this and is not credited as the songwriter.

There is this short thread on u2start twitter:

https://twitter.com/U2start/status/937360843980845058

I also read something by Neil McCormick on twitter yesterday, where he basically said if Tedder/One Rep had written it they would have been credited, but they are not, and he should know a thing or two about these matters!

There is this short thread on u2start twitter:

https://twitter.com/U2start/status/937360843980845058

I also read something by Neil McCormick on twitter yesterday, where he basically said if Tedder/One Rep had written it they would have been credited, but they are not, and he should know a thing or two about these matters!

Great twitter link, most posts are concerned if tedder is not creddited for writing the song.. but who knows...( i don't think mc cormick knows.. ) someone should ask to edge or bono ..or tedder himself with the video in front of his head :D

There were several samples used on Pop, but what are you referring to on Rattle and Hum?

No I would say DYFL and Playboy Mansion are the main riffs.

Back
Top Bottom