SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't say much, but what Axver says sounds similar to what I experienced. It also reminded me of The Miracle a bit at the start. It's upbeat, bass was brilliant, will be a jumping song live like UTEOTW, Elevation, Vertigo.

Can you give us a ranking in terms of newer single choices?

How did lights to home or whatever its name will be sound? All we have heard is that it's a grower?

Last edited:
I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't say much, but what Axver says sounds similar to what I experienced. It also reminded me of The Miracle a bit at the start. It's upbeat, bass was brilliant, will be a jumping song live like UTEOTW, Elevation, Vertigo.

Did you like it? I ask because I believe you were not impressed at all with SOI and I'm curious if this was a step forward in sound in your opinion from SOI.

Nothing beats UTEOTW for me, but it sure beats the other three.

THat's not it. It's not played that fast. MOre like the slow Magnificent intro, Bzzt.... *pause* .... Bzzzt etc.

ookay this is harder to explain than I thought. [emoji38]
Thanks!

Is it still stuck in your head today? I hear it's pretty infectious!

Last edited:
I've updated the U2gigs article with more info. Now running with multiple sources: U2 perform new song in Amsterdam for video shoot - U2gigs.com

This part will probably be of most interest to folks here:

Both songs are described as groovy and nineties-sounding, with heavy bass and guitar. The Blackout has a prominent lyric about "when the lights go out" that got the audience jumping. The song begins with Edge playing a very distorted guitar that has been compared to Zoo Station or Magnificent. There is also a slow interlude that then erupts back into the chorus, somewhat like the "love, lift me up out of these blues" part of Elevation.

I also like how awful Bono's dad jokes were.

Thanks for the report Axver. A rocker with a more inventive Edge/bass and a jump/catchy chorus sounds good to me.

The Blackout is the single. All my sources are adamant that this is the video for the next single.

And I'm told the second song might be "The Lights of Home" not "Lights to Home". Checking with my sources.

Well I confess to be pleasantly surprised. New tunes, video... :up: I guess late 2017 release just got more likely.

Here's hoping Blackout is better than Best thing or Little things that give you away. Will they save it or will it get played on JT30 ?

Elevation - Vertigo - Blackout.
[emoji90][emoji90] [emoji90]

The Blackout is the single. All my sources are adamant that this is the video for the next single.

And I'm told the second song might be "The Lights of Home" not "Lights to Home". Checking with my sources.

Thanks Axver! Would love to read a description of lights...

Thanks Axver! Would love to read a description of lights...

All I've got is "slow and atmospheric" and "a grower".

After checking with various people I'm no clearer on the precise title. But we all get the idea: Lights at/of/to Home.

All I've got is "slow and atmospheric" and "a grower".

Ahh, by 'grower' i thought that report meant people weren't too impressed, but thought it might sound better on repeat listening (i.e. "it'll grow on you").

But in that context it sounds like a tune that develops in intensity as it goes on, like With or Without You?

Well, I imagine most of us are surprised that we are hearing about a new song from this event rather than The Best Thing. Only heightening the intrigue!

I'm intrigued because it's a title that hasn't been mentioned before. I wonder if it's a re worked song or title or a song that they found during their "delay".

Have to wait and see, especially with fan reaction. We tend to love everything at first then hate it. Boots may have been the exception tho haha

Surprised they went with a different song than Best Thing. Maybe all these listening parties influenced this decision.

The best news is that unless U2 pulls the ultimate U2 move, we should have a new album this year

Have to wait and see, especially with fan reaction. We tend to love everything at first then hate it. Boots may have been the exception tho haha

Surprised they went with a different song than Best Thing. Maybe all these listening parties influenced this decision.

The best news is that unless U2 pulls the ultimate U2 move, we should have a new album this year
Let's hope trump isn't impeached before September!

Ahh, by 'grower' i thought that report meant people weren't too impressed, but thought it might sound better on repeat listening (i.e. "it'll grow on you").

But in that context it sounds like a tune that develops in intensity as it goes on, like With or Without You?

It seems to be the former. Some of my sources are much more excited about The Blackout.

But Lights of Home does reportedly have a catchy chorus. I'll have more on U2gigs in about an hour. My Wellington Hurricanes are distracting me at the moment; hoping we make the Super Rugby final to defend the title we won last year.

I'm intrigued because it's a title that hasn't been mentioned before. I wonder if it's a re worked song or title or a song that they found during their "delay".

Anyone else think The Blackout could be from Adams SOE being born post?
From the name and some descriptions, I could see it.

wow new Mount Kimbie album, Alvvays album, Godspeed you! album and a U2 single in a same month? holy hell September's gonna be so cool

Back
Top Bottom