SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How would that happen if by most counts the interviews say they'll play in sequence?
Quote:
Unless they open with non-JT older songs
I thought this was obvious. Just because they don't want to start the show with Streets doesn't mean they aren't doing it in order. You want to ease the audience into the show with some more fun/upbeat material, and have JT be the centerpiece. So expect some big hits up front, and then they either do JT and have an intermission after Mothers, or the whole concert is split in half like the i&e format and they begin JT right after the halfway intermission.

Also, they aren't doing an intermission between album "sides" so let's just cancel that idea right now.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #137
War Child

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I thought this was obvious. Just because they don't want to start the show with Streets doesn't mean they aren't doing it in order. You want to ease the audience into the show with some more fun/upbeat material, and have JT be the centerpiece. So expect some big hits up front, and then they either do JT and have an intermission after Mothers, or the whole concert is split in half like the i&e format and they begin JT right after the halfway intermission.

Also, they aren't doing an intermission between album "sides" so let's just cancel that idea right now.
Call me crazy, but I don't associate many U2 songs with "fun, upbeat material".... and this might even be more true of TJT and prior material.

Maybe "A Celebration"..... dunno.

For my money, if you do this tour, you go all out. You break out the red-screens cowboy hats and silhouettes and open with Streets... arguably the best tour opener ever.

Heck, do Streets twice if you must but open with Streets, just like 1987.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #138
Y2K
Refugee

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Maybe the Dalton Brothers will come out and play with Mumford/the Lumineers?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Not at all. Just can't figure you out.

You go out of your way to be over the top negative, and then say 'fuck this guy' for doing the same. it's weird

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah maybe you're right. I am in the camp that has been seeing this Joshua Tree business in a negative light. I'm actually quite excited for the tour itself, but a little bummed about Edge's comments/attitude towards SOE. But I guess the important thing to remember is that I'm lucky enough to be able to see a show this summer, and in my home state of Ohio no less. It's gonna be awesome. I wish I could also hit Pittsburgh or Chicago as well. A younger version of me would've jumped at multiple shows, but with the wife and the kids and the job... eeehhh...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #140
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Yeah maybe you're right. I am in the camp that has been seeing this Joshua Tree business in a negative light. I'm actually quite excited for the tour itself, but a little bummed about Edge's comments/attitude towards SOE. But I guess the important thing to remember is that I'm lucky enough to be able to see a show this summer, and in my home state of Ohio no less. It's gonna be awesome. I wish I could also hit Pittsburgh or Chicago as well. A younger version of me would've jumped at multiple shows, but with the wife and the kids and the job... eeehhh...

Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #141
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Poop View Post
I could also see them doing B Sides consisting the length of the show and how they talked about how JT could have been a double album.

Based on Edge's comments in Rolling Stone and pretty much U2's whole touring history there is now way they are playing b-sides (other than the occasional Spanish Eyes).

If they really play the whole album they will be playing a whole lot of songs they never play, which is going to leave little to no room for any other deep cuts. I fully expect the Joshua Tree + Warhorses, and maybe a new song if we get lucky.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't associate many U2 songs with "fun, upbeat material".... and this might even be more true of TJT and prior material.
Vertigo? Elevation? The Miracle? EBTTRT? Out of Control?

Are you not familiar with previous concert openers or stuff played really early in the set?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #143
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Vertigo? Elevation? The Miracle? EBTTRT? Out of Control?

Are you not familiar with previous concert openers or stuff played really early in the set?
Quite familiar actually... but outside OOC most of those are a long way chronologically from TJT and I would not have expected but one, maybe two of those even showing up on a set list for this pending tour let alone opening the show.

Just my opinion, but opening a show celebrating the 30th anniversary of TJT with a song from a different record would be strange... but then, U2, so who knows.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:28 PM
SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

They have so many possible show openers.
They probably won't do this, but a good set IMO would be...\\\
1 Hold Me/Real Thing/Discotheque/Desire
(mix up the opener)
2 Vertigo
3 The Fly
4 Raised by Wolves
5 UTEOW
6 NYD
7-10 mix of hits/maybe a new song
11 something to segue into Streets (Bad, TUF, MOS, EBW, etc???...)
12-22 JT
23-28
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #145
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:28 AM
There is no fucking way Raised By Wolves is being done this tour.

You can hold me to this prediction.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #146
The Fly

Local Time: 05:28 PM
I assumed they were going to play mainly older songs that appeared on that tour plus the full album with a beautiful day and vertigo thrown in the encore.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
Just my opinion, but opening a show celebrating the 30th anniversary of TJT with a song from a different record would be strange... but then, U2, so who knows.
Well, if they're not opening the show with the whole album (I already explained above why this wouldn't make sense) , they have to open with a song from another album. Springsteen has done the same thing on his full-album shows. It's the centerpiece, it's why everyone is there. Why blow your load right at the beginning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There is no fucking way Raised By Wolves is being done this tour.

You can hold me to this prediction.
Yeah, that's not happening. The only SOI songs we'll get are EBW and/or The Miracle. Unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaras View Post
I assumed they were going to play mainly older songs that appeared on that tour plus the full album with a beautiful day and vertigo thrown in the encore.
There's no way they disregard the last two and a half decades of music. This isn't going to be an "authentic" show from the JT tour. I think Edge's interview alluded to how much material they have to choose from, and he wasn't just talking about the first 5 albums.

JT runs, what, 50 minutes? They have at least another hour and 15 minutes to fill up, and you can bet your ass we'll be hearing stuff from Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, The Bomb, and others.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #148
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
YOU HAVE A CONTRACT, YOU BETTER THINK OF A WAY TO MAKE US SOME FUCKING MONEY!!!!"

I don't believe for a second that this is some sort of artistic statement about how this current political climate is similar to what it was in the mid eighties. You could bend that narrative to fit any time, really.

I'm quite excited for this 2017 JT tour, don't get me wrong. I just wish that the I&E Tour could've run it's course throughout 2015-16, with SOE in there too, wrapping it all up in a neat little package. Then do this JT Tour this year with a clean slate.
This...wholeheartedly....yes.

U2BROTHR's JOSHUA TREE TOUR
Vancouver Toronto Boston Buffalo
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not so much sad that U2 is doing a nostalgia tour, but I am a little sad that they are at the age where it is appropriate and even necessary for them to do a nostalgia tour.

It was always going to happen. That day is here. And it's ok. I'll see Philly and D.C. and enjoy what I can while I still can.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Stand By Me
C'Mon Everybody
I Will Follow
Out of Control
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Streets