So, if U2 liscensed a classic for a TV commercial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you freak out?

• Yes

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was just thinking today....when I play the Stones' 'Start Me Up', I don't think of Windows 95.

If U2 liscensed a song, a classic song, such as Streets for a car commercial or ISHFWILF for a life insurance ad, would you freak out in the usual Interference style?

It depends on the song and the commercial. If the song is big enough on it's own (eg Streets) it would stand apart from the product, but if it's a lesser known song (to the general public) it would too easily become attached, just be "that's that Duff Beer song! Didn't know that was U2!" or whatever.

No. I'm too mature to freak out about something like that.

I save my freaking out for important matters, like Bono's hair.

corianderstem said:
No. I'm too mature to freak out about something like that.

I save my freaking out for important matters, like Bono's hair.

That made me laff :lol:

It wouldn't freak me out...I'd be a bit disappointed though.

I don't think they are that far off from doing something like that at this point in their career. I can picture "Desire" in a Nissan ad. Of course, they would justify it by sending proceeds to Music Rising or Africa Well Foundation, etc to try to lessen the horror for us loyalists.

Led Zepp "Rock and Roll" was ruined by Cadillac. AT & T plays that shitty Oasis song every 10 minutes on every radio station. I'd hate to see that with a U2 song.

MumblingBono said:
I don't think they are that far off from doing something like that at this point in their career. I can picture "Desire" in a Nissan ad. Of course, they would justify it by sending proceeds to Music Rising or Africa Well Foundation, etc to try to lessen the horror for us loyalists.

:confused:

Why are they close to that? They've done nothing of the sort so far. The iPod was to be part of what they considered "Pop Art," which, in a way, is true----the iPod is perhaps the symbol of the 00's. They got no money, and Edge gets to tinker around with Apple scientists.

So far, the benefits for Music Rising have been selling of actual U2 songs/performances. How on earth can you say "proceeds from a U2 song on a car commercial will go to Music Rising?" Proceeds from selling of the car? From selling of the commercial to the tv station? That's just silly.

Nothing that has been sold for ONE or for the RED Campaign has been U2-related at all.

U2 have not advertised for anyone. For iPod, their name was on it, they didn't get any money, etc. Shit, go back and read the Flanagan book (how many times can I reference this???), and you'll see that in 1993, U2 were already considering how to break into digital music.

How many times does an iPod or "selling out" dicussion need to come up? It's all crap. :banghead:

there's too many moaners here for the board not to go into total meltdown.

Flying FuManchu said:
The IPOD commercial has prepared me to accept seeing/ hearing a U2 classic in a US commercial. Hell, I think Yahweh would work great for a laundry detergent TV advert...
:lol:

Also I love the fragmentation in the forums right now. We now have two distinct social groups. 'Moaners' and 'sheep' :lol:

Well, I think of CSI everytime I hear Who Are You now.

I think bands sell their music when either they are really new with no definite guarantee of a future like Kings of Leon or near the end of a career with no definite hits coming. Yeah, the Stones are still going but they weren't doing to much when they sold Start Me Up. Ozzy, Led Zeppelin and the Who have been fairly quiet for years too.

When U2 winds down their career, I wouldn't be surprised to see them allow some of their songs to be used in advertisments. But hey, it's the music BUSINESS so whatever they can do to help themselves and their families is fine by me. But it doesn't mean I would buy the product, :wink:

trevster2k said:
But it doesn't mean I would buy the product, :wink:

And that's a shame, really, but perhaps unavoidable.

It seems like no matter what they do these days, they just might lose some fans with each step. Then again, they might just gain more fans with each new step.

Should they only cater to the long-term fans? Of course not. Hell, most of us long-term fans can't agree on what we want from them anyway, so they're screwed no matter what they do.

It might be a hard decision to make, whether or not you want to keep following them with whatever they do. But hey - you'll always have (insert your favorite era/album here).

And who knows? Maybe they'll surprise you 5 years down the line and do something you love? Good for you, bad for someone else - I guarantee someone else will hate it.

^oh, I meant just because U2 music is playing doesn't mean I automatically support the product in the ad. The Conservative party in Canada could play U2 all the live long day and I won't support the party. But I love the tunes.

I will always buy their music unless they start playing country, then they can go suck eggs! :madspit:

:lol:

You mean you didn't like "Lucille"? :wink:

I kind of figured that's what you meant, but your post triggered an actual thought in my head, so I had to use your post as a jumping-off point.

Back
Top Bottom