OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably shouldn't be on message boards like these if you can't deal with some relatively minor bitching. We've just been served a "Well, we have the album done, but hey, it could be better, I guess. :shrug: Wait even longer, and we'll get back to you." Can you blame some people that have been waiting 4 years since Bomb for being a little upset? I don't fucking like that the album was delayed. Deal with it. You'll live, I think.

And personally, I wouldn't care if they "sold out" (which is a bunch of elitist bullshit anyway) for Christmas sales. I just want the album, like any fan would.
You're so right:up:

Remember how atu2.com also said several sources said "2009" and that the band wasn't completely satisfied, yesterday, related to Edge's article ?

-Although not attributed directly to Edge, that does lend credence to some rumblings we've heard recently from multiple sources that the band isn't satisfied with several tracks and may push the album release to early 2009.

Whilst this is true, the "reliable" source re:November the 18th was on their website for a long time.

Last Unicorn: from my short time here, you usually make sound points :up:. But, the five years complaint is perfectly valid, because by 2009 it will have been five years. Yes U2 had the tour, but they had tours between 1985 and 1991, yet they managed to release four of their best albums in that period, and that's only one year more than the distance between HTDAAB and this album.

The amount of sheer cynicism in this thread is incredible.

I realize that more of their LPs than not have been released in October/November, but that doesn't mean it HAS to be that way.

Bomb REALLY killed a lot of you guys' faith in the idea that U2 still cares about the art. I'm no big Bomb fan, but I always believed they could still put out a more interesting, more exciting record if they wanted to, and I believe they want to now. They got the ATYCLB-Bomb thing out of their system. Just the fact that they have 50-60 tracks is something to be excited about. Even with the unreleased stuff, we've only seen around 16-17 tracks from the Bomb sessions. My gut says that this has been the most creatively fruitful period for U2 in a long time.

If they really have that much material, they could do a double album, or they could do a GnR-Use-Your-Illusion-double-album-but-not kind of deal, release one disc in early 2009, tour for six months, release another disc in late summer or fall, continue touring, take a holiday break, continue touring in spring 2010, maybe even put out a third disc. Wouldn't the multiple single-disc releases like that serve the purpose of continued sales, covering multiple grammy seasons(if they indeed do still care about that), etc?

I just think, given what we've been told, that there are lot of possibilities, and that it's too simplistic and cynical and unimaginative to simply say 'Paul Mcg is Satan, and U2 only care about sales cycles and therefore, even though Bono said over and over that they want 2009 to be their year, implying all of it, they will spend the first ten and a half months of 2009 doing nothing before putting the record out'.

Frankly, although I'm disappointed that we'll have to wait longer for new U2, this also excites me, particularly because of the '50-60 tracks' thing. You don't get 50-60 tracks that all sound forced and/or contrived and/or calculated. You just don't. If they really have that many tracks, there is something going on creatively with them that hasn't been going on for a good number of years, and that excites me. And the fact that they are openly, standing on the metaphoric rooftop and screaming 'This is a departure, this will NOT be ANYTHING like Bomb or ATYCLB' and the fact that Eno and Lanois, guys who have worked more closely with U2 than just about anyone else, have repeatedly said that U2 are exploring sonic terrain on this record that they haven't either in a long time or ever, and that they are innovating again(even if that just means innovation for themselves and not necessarily innovation for rock music in general), excites me. That all excites me.

Some of you look at eight years worth of material and say, 'they don't have the creative spark they used to, and if they're not releasing now, it's because the material is medicore'. I look at the twenty years of amazing material that came out prior to said eight years, and I say, it proves that they are capable of greatness, and if you're capable of a certain level of greatness, unless something physically changes your ability, you don't suddenly become INcapable of greatness. They created The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless at the same time they created Elevation. They created Mercy at the same time they created Vertigo. Remember that.

As an aside: Let's not forget, Paul McG works for U2, not the other way around. It's silly to blame him for major business decisions. Bono/Edge/Adam/Larry are the co-CEOs, the head honchos, the big bosses, the decision makers, the men in charge. Everyone at principle management ultimately takes their orders from them. So they probably know that if they're going to go with a fall release, they have to pick a single and get it out there in basically the next week or two, and if they realized, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to do it yet, then Bono calls up Paul and says, 'I'm faxing you something, make sure the site puts it up, pronto'.

Great post here, well thought out, excellent work.

Anyways, as most all of us are, I too am disappointed about the album being moved to 2009. However, I am also happy about it for several reasons. For one, we now have a slightly more definite release date, no longer based on speculation, but actual news from the official site (It sounds odd saying that REAL news came from the u2.com). No more speculating and worrying about that anymore, I can return to breathing normally now.

Second, reading the "50-60 songs" part got me really excited. It not only means that they have indeed hit a "creative vein", but if they finish about 25 or more of these songs (only half, that's not asking too much of them, is it?), we could get a nice double album, which reminds me of the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" album. Also a possibility (but not a probability) would be releasing this newest U2 material as two albums 6 months or so apart, similar to the way the RHCP album was planned on being released. (Just a little coincidence: Stadium Arcadium was produced by Rick Rubin. Also, on his Wikipedia page, he is credited for producing U2's album "No Line on the Horizon." I thought that was kind of funny)

Also, the tone Bono uses in the article and the way he talks about the music makes me think that U2 could once again carry out a take-over of the music industry, once again being as dominant as they were in 1987 or 1991. He really sounds phenomenally excited about the new tunes in a way that intensely sparks my interest, and I know it is gonna be torture during the next few months imagining what "diamonds" they have found and exactly how they once again will "defy gravity," but the light at the end of the tunnel now seems closer and clearer than it once was.

In the meantime, advice to my fellow U2 fanatics: don't gorge yourselves in too much U2, because all that will do (to me, anyway) is make the prolonged wait seem even longer. If U2 is all you listen to, may I recommend you listen to acts such as Kings of Leon (opened for U2 during Vertigo Tour, fantastic band), the Zutons, Editors, Embrace, or whatever else can grab your attention. Good day to you all.

Until someone says something offically, itis all mearly rumours and innuendo.

Still tight.

All good things come to those who wait.

November 2009 is 5 years. February 2009 is not.

OK, we will be into the fifth year. But if the band are working on 60+ songs at the moment, that fact doesn't lend itself to the view that February is a realistic release time. I really hope it is, I hope this is all a clever ruse, and the album will be presented in all its completed glory on November the 18th. Or sooner :drool:

i honestly feel that they think that there is so many albums coming out over the next 2 months or so oasis, snow patrol, kings of leon, razorlight, kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand that if they do release it now then it may just get lost with all the other top bands i mentioned. If they release it in Jan/Feb 09 then they just could have the whole market to themselves pretty much!

i honestly feel that they think that there is so many albums coming out over the next 2 months or so oasis, snow patrol, kings of leon, razorlight, kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand that if they do release it now then it may just get lost with all the other top bands i mentioned. If they release it in Jan/Feb 09 then they just could have the whole market to themselves pretty much!

What's coming out in November and December that anyone cares about?

November 2009 will happen. February 2009 will not.

I don't see why you're so dead-set on the fact that there's no way we will see an early 2009 release. Why is that so fucking impossible to believe? I'm curious. I think it's completely within reason and, according to this latest U2.com announcement, is actually the most likely situation we're facing now.

This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again, ‘ explains Bono, calling in from a break in recording sessions in the south of France. ‘ We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's taken a slice of the moon!
'It's been fun, it's been maddening... there have been injuries and recoveries, no babies born that I know of, but this one is nearly ready for the new year of 2009.'
:doh:

But if they were really that confident the new material is amazing, might they not be excited about putting themselves up against these bands?

I don't see why you're so dead-set on the fact that there's no way we will see an early 2009 release. Why is that so fucking impossible to believe? I'm curious. I think it's completely within reason and, according to this latest U2.com announcement, is actually the most likely situation we're facing now.

Because Taylor Swift will be touring then. :sad: The market is too crowded for the biggest band in the world. :sad:

You probably shouldn't be on message boards like these if you can't deal with some relatively minor bitching. We've just been served a "Well, we have the album done, but hey, it could be better, I guess. :shrug: Wait even longer, and we'll get back to you." Can you blame some people that have been waiting 4 years since Bomb for being a little upset? I don't fucking like that the album was delayed. Deal with it. You'll live, I think.

And personally, I wouldn't care if they "sold out" (which is a bunch of elitist bullshit anyway) for Christmas sales. I just want the album, like any fan would.

:up: same here I could care less about the 'they are selling out" either I just wanted to hear that album this year.. :shrug: oh well... I am just going to go on a drunken binge with my bud, GAF thank u very much...:drunk:

Because Taylor Swift will be touring then. :sad: The market is too crowded for the biggest band in the world. :sad:

Dude, come on. I asked you a serious question. I'm curious. You seem to be in a weird mood or something today. Why is early 2009 so out of the question? Especially with Bono saying that they want to put something out around that time. And don't just come with "Because Bono said it, and we shouldn't believe Bono". That's a bullshit response. Right now, what we heard from U2.com today is the best thing we have to work with, and it mentions early 2009. So why do you think early 2009 is so impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom