New Album in 2007 - atu2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:

Did you read the context of your quote from me?
No?
Get back to page 6 and read it again...

oh I read it ...i

just please tell me whats so innovative and fresh about hip hop nowadays?

EDIT...
know what nevermind, this issue is for a different topic....:wink:

Last edited:
Utoo said:

I don't think that anyone who's saying the same of 00s U2 is really saying anything original...and it'd help if both these people and others would recognize that. U2 will make the music that they feel like making in any one moment. Everything they do is a progression---and their music ultimately changes fairly radically as time goes on. In the meantime, every album, every step of the way, is fantastic in its own right. The next album may not be a radical change from the last two, but I'll guarantee it's a progression of some sort, and I'll guarantee that I'll like it no less than any other. U2 is a band that does not stay the same, and that's one of the things that makes them so lasting & so exciting. Big change or little change, it's pretty lame to expect the next album to be ATYCLB III---especially as HTDAAB was a progression from ATYCLB. The next one will be at least one step further, if not more. An album or two after that, who knows where we'll be.

:up:

This forum is becoming dull. there are so many people that seem to hate the last six years of U2's career, yet they continue to post and throw the "blind sheep" label at anyone who, you know, legitimately likes "the last two albums" (as they're almost always grouped together). And then the "blind sheep" go on the "but you didn't say in your opinion" tirade. yes, we know it's your opinion, it's a discussion forum, people don't have to state that its their opinion, it's been discussed a million times but someone ALWAYS brings it up, usually right after someone says "U2 sucks" (except in a somewhat eloqeunt multi-paragraph essay dissecting current U2's marketing strategies, the lack of depth to their sound, and how great experimentation is - if expermentation means sounding like the 90's, that is).

as for Bono's comments, well, they sound the same as they always do. but that's fine. maybe he doesn't want to reveal too much about what the new album sounds like. anyway, a 2007 album would be a fantastic graduation present so I hope they do it, preferrably by May :wink:

This forum's whole issue is hilarious. I agree with the post above, but it does stereotype a bit.

For instance, I love Bomb, yet realize it's not their best work, and instead crown Zooropa as their masterwork, with JT and Pop coming close behind.

I ain't a blind sheep. I like what I like, and if you don't like that, or bash me for doing so: forget you.

BTW, for all the lovely folks that think all of U2's work after Pop has sounded the same, I suggest you go down to the pawn shop, buy some ears, and listen to UF, JT, and R&H all in a row. See, here's the thing; they don't sound all that different! U2 DOESN'T change after each album! They finish one building after a few albums and then start a new one!

And buy the way, forget the "IMO" crap. Everything I say here is my opinion, and if I don't say it in the PC way you want; too bloody bad.:madspit:

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

This forum is becoming dull. there are so many people that seem to hate the last six years of U2's career, yet they continue to post and throw the "blind sheep" label at anyone who, you know, legitimately likes "the last two albums" (as they're almost always grouped together). And then the "blind sheep" go on the "but you didn't say in your opinion" tirade. yes, we know it's your opinion, it's a discussion forum, people don't have to state that its their opinion, it's been discussed a million times but someone ALWAYS brings it up, usually right after someone says "U2 sucks" (except in a somewhat eloqeunt multi-paragraph essay dissecting current U2's marketing strategies, the lack of depth to their sound, and how great experimentation is - if expermentation means sounding like the 90's, that is).

as for Bono's comments, well, they sound the same as they always do. but that's fine. maybe he doesn't want to reveal too much about what the new album sounds like. anyway, a 2007 album would be a fantastic graduation present so I hope they do it, preferrably by May :wink:

Well said AtomicBono. It's a shame that so many threads deteriorate like this. I think the reason stems from the fact that some people get much more enjoyment in stirring things up than in intelligently discussing and politely arguing over the REAL common passion, which is of course the band.

AtomicBono said:

In the middle of this all out of context conversation (but that I find important) you pointed something relevant and that I had already alerted in "red" situations in the forum. Those people you described (in a perfect way) are always grouped, they almost always appear in specific threads (that most of the times are started by them) and even if there's only onle claiming that recent U2 is lame/dull/predictable/"Suckable"/etc he knows that sooner or later the other detractors will come in his support. What happens? The "blind sheep" (I have been playing that role thousands of time here) is alone and his arguments won't be worthy because their talk is very incrustraed and habitual in the spirit of this forum.

People shouldn't be warned with senteces such as "if you don't like posts with this content you can always ignore". That's against the freedom of thoughts and speech, and I've seen moderators aplying those kind of posts or closing the threads instead of calling attention.
That shouldn't be happening in internet places like this one.

Fortunately, that won't never make me shut my mouth up and say what I feel to express, even though I'm a "black sheep" (am I really?) even though I get unfair warnings and be joked for commentaires like "Yahweh is my favourite song in the band's catalogue".

ponkine said:

Actually Punk Rock From Venus was describin ATYCLB sessions back in 2000 !!!!!!:blahblah:
From Uncut, Dec. 2003 :

Speaking exclusively to Uncut, Bono goes a step further, describing the album as "punk rock made on Venus", dominated by guitars that go up to "Number 11". He confirms the album will continue in the classic-rock vein of 2000's Grammy winning All That You Can't Leave Behind, and that U2's usual production team of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno have been replaced by studio veteran Chris Thomas.

I'd prefer it if Bono would keep his trap shut during the making of new albums. You know why? Because it's pointless! No matter what he says, we're still gonna go out and buy the friggin album. So he really doesn't need to embellish anything. All he needs to say is "we're making a new album" and we'll be right on line to buy it. It's not like he's enticing anyone to buy these CD's by lying about their raw rock sound. I'd be surprised if one person out there actually read his comments and said "that's it! I'm sold! Bono said it's gonna be a hard rocking guitar album! Consider me a customer!"

AtomicBono said:

I completely agree with everything you said here. I think you (and Aygo) summed up the situation very nicely. :up:

(BTW, your sig is awesome. That whole thing was pure comedy gold. :wink: )

Last edited:
ozeeko said:
I'd prefer it if Bono would keep his trap shut during the making of new albums. You know why? Because it's pointless! No matter what he says, we're still gonna go out and buy the friggin album. So he really doesn't need to embellish anything. All he needs to say is "we're making a new album" and we'll be right on line to buy it. It's not like he's enticing anyone to buy these CD's by lying about their raw rock sound. I'd be surprised if one person out there actually read his comments and said "that's it! I'm sold! Bono said it's gonna be a hard rocking guitar album! Consider me a customer!"

Yeah, but on the same note, people shouldn't put so much weight on what he says. Especially not take him literally.
He's a musician, he's excited about making music, it does make you giddy like a schoolboy when you're onto something, the difference with Bono is he never really learned subtlety. Maybe that's part of his genius, I dunno.

"Punk rock made on Venus". I always thought that Bono meant the song Vertigo, and not the whole album. I believe he was talking about that song back then. I also know that quotes in newspapers seldom are very exact.

I do not hope the next album will be a hard rocking album. God, no. Why do everyone assume that everyone wants that? I certainly don't. I could hope for U2 to experiment more and mixing it up, but that does not mean I want U2 to make another AB. Some people on here, when saying they want U2 to experiment and not make predictable music, what they really want is a new AB.

I also understands if U2 don't feel like mixing it too much up. They have experimented and they have changed a lot during the years. We may not have them around very long, and maybe they feel like making the music they love to make. They deserve that, after all these years. A new album in 2007 sounds awesome to me. I was never sure we would get another album at all. The next may be their last, so why take a huge risk in the studio?

Experimenting don't have to equal quality. That's always a risk. Maybe U2 don't feel like taking too many risks right now, which is understandable, if they don't plan to be around very long. What people want is U2 to take a huge risk and succeed. But taking a risk could also mean complete failure. That would be hard on U2 this time in their career. It could destroy a lot. And certain fans (those who wanted experimentation or a new AB), would butcher it, saying U2 tries to be young when they are not (translated: this wasn't AB).

I would love for U2 to experiment, which could mean they want to be around for a while. But I don't expect that. I can enjoy a new album, if it's not experimental. I can't tell before I hear it. But I don't demand an experimental album.
But I certainly don't want a new AB.

Why shouldn't Bono say that he believes they are making their best album? That the best is yet to come? Of course he should, and of course he believes that - why else bother making the new album? Everyone tries to outdo themselves, in sport, music, at work, at school, all the time, and I actually expect U2 to do that. Of course Bono doesn't hope for the same success as with JT (that success wasn't entirely because of the quality of the album). U2 could even make an album much better that JT, but won't get the same reaction or success. But that they try to outdo previous work and believe they are doing it - yes, of course.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
And buy the way, forget the "IMO" crap. Everything I say here is my opinion, and if I don't say it in the PC way you want; too bloody bad.:madspit:
definitely :up:

but - in all fairness - I don't think I really see people complain that often that someone should state that something is an opinion (as much as they try to set up their posts as if they have been living in a cellar for 15 years figuring out hard scientific facts about what U2 has done on any given date the last 20 years)

I actually see a lot more complains that "IMO" is never needed than that I see people complain that at times an IMO might be warranted

and this forum does get stale yes
maybe Elvis can think of something to liven up the place until the next album release

ozeeko said:

good point. the only people who care about whether or not U2 is making a new album are U2 fans, and most U2 fans will buy the new album no matter what.

Still, perhaps there is some truth to what Bono says. His words are a bit generic, but that doesn't mean they aren't true. And everyone always brings up the "punk rock on venus" comment, but as at least one other person pointed out, that was made way back in 2003. The album they were making with Chris Thomas very well may have been "punk rock on venus."

I'd rather see Bono excited about their new music than depressed and going "ehhh it's not going so well, maybe we'll take a break." Of course, people would argue that Achtung Baby came out of the band's tension and seemingly bad sessions or whatever, but AB didn't start to come together til One. What they had before then were lots of demos and ideas and parts of songs. By the time they started doing most of the final versions of the songs they were, you know, not hating each other anymore :p (of course I don't know this 100% as I wasn't there, I'm just basing this on the Salome Outtakes and various readings)

Originally posted by SpaceOddity
(BTW, your sig is awesome. That whole thing was pure comedy gold. )

Hahahaha, thanks. I'm rather partial to it myself :wink:

Why do people on the board give so much importance to what Bono says? He's the frontman, he's just doing his job.

Don't forget that we pay attention to every sentence Bono says, but 99.9% of the people who read or hear about those Bono statements forget that 4 years earlier he said that their next album would be "punk rock from Venus", do they really care? I'm sure they don't.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this whole debate.

There are way too many U2 bashers. It seems like some people come here with the intention of antagonizing the band for EVERYTHING. It's not 1991 nor is it 1986 anymore, so expecting Achtung or Joshua to come up isn't going to happen.

At the same time, there are numerous people here who praise everything U2 does simply for the fact that it's U2 and just can't tolerate anyone straying from the belief that anything U2 does is pure gold. This is just as bad.

This forum is getting boring because there's too much black and white and not enough gray area. We can't chat like normal human beings? We're all U2 fans here (well, we're supposed to be anyway), why can't we just discuss instead of being overprotective and overly critical?

The John Tree said:
I'm somewhere in the middle on this whole debate.

There are way too many U2 bashers. It seems like some people come here with the intention of antagonizing the band for EVERYTHING. It's not 1991 nor is it 1986 anymore, so expecting Achtung or Joshua to come up isn't going to happen.

At the same time, there are numerous people here who praise everything U2 does simply for the fact that it's U2 and just can't tolerate anyone straying from the belief that anything U2 does is pure gold. This is just as bad.

This forum is getting boring because there's too much black and white and not enough gray area. We can't chat like normal human beings? We're all U2 fans here (well, we're supposed to be anyway), why can't we just discuss instead of being overprotective and overly critical?

This is a great point because I think people become more extreme in either their praises or criticisms as a reaction to extremism from the other side. If there is a lot of bashing going on, people feel like they must protect everything the band has done and vice versa. It shouldn't be like that.

But honestly, if anything Bono says about the next album really bothers you then you need to admit to yourself that you dislike his personality. Because that is Bono being Bono and giving information in the ONLY way he is capable and willing. I'd rather get his highly questionable updates than no updates at all.

BONO knows exactly what he is doing. U2 bashers and lovers alike will hang on his every cryptic message... and buy the new album

The band knows that no matter what direction they take at this point, they will please about 25 percent of the fans and the rest will be lukewarm or repulsed. It's a natural consequence of changing direction a few times over the years and having different people having differrent preferences.

The John Tree said:
I do agree with this, but I really seldom see praise for U2 around here so I wouldn't know who these people are

maybe in a way I could be viewed as someone who doesn't critisize the band
I guess I don't all that often because I only have minor complaints

at the same time I also hardly ever post positive, praising stuff about U2

I don't mind it so much when people say something negative about U2
I would just like it if the people who did this would actually make some sense
that's why I (though I appear to be in a minority) do enjoy Axver's view on Achtung Baby (I also agree with a lot he has to say so maybe I am more critical than I thought!)

come to think of it
I wouldn't even mind it so much that people post senseless negative stuff about U2
I just wonder whether a U2 forum is the best place to do this

why would U2 even bother recording an album if they didn't think/want it to be their best ever?

what else is left for them to accomplish other than to outdo themselves?

i honestly think Bono says these things as much to psych himself and the band up to deliver on what he's promising.

and i'm just so happy they're still recording as they start to approach 50, and have yet to embarass themselves. we're lucky to still have them.

There isn't a single U2 album I dislike. I also like all of their songs, although I obviously love some a heck of a lot more than others. I find appealing qualities in all of their work.

I don't mind when people here say negative things about U2. I realize that not everybody shares my view on their music. I do wish that there weren't so many negative discussions, but I can't help that. Really though, I think my biggest problem is with how rude and nasty some people can be in response to others expressing their opinions.

For example, because of my opinion stated in the first part of my reply, people could rip on me by calling me a blind fan or that a person would have to be absolutely crazy to think that way. But there are a lot nicer ways for somebody to disagree with my opinion.

Bonochick said:
There isn't a single U2 album I dislike. I also like all of their songs, although I obviously love some a heck of a lot more than others. I find appealing qualities in all of their work.

I don't mind when people here say negative things about U2. I realize that not everybody shares my view on their music. I do wish that there weren't so many negative discussions, but I can't help that. Really though, I think my biggest problem is with how rude and nasty some people can be in response to others expressing their opinions.

For example, because of my opinion stated in the first part of my reply, people could rip on me by calling me a blind fan or that a person would have to be absolutely crazy to think that way. But there are a lot nicer ways for somebody to disagree with my opinion.

Yes yes yes. I agree with all of this very strongly. Brilliant.

Dear U2,

Feel free to piss us off. We'll come around. We always do. Or at least we'll stay on forum discussions.

I love what they do and how they do it. There is such thing as selling out to the corporates. But there is also a thing as selling out to your fans. They have pissed fans off every time they have recorded something and they're still around. They have faith in waht they do and it has translated into longevity.

Irvine511 said:
why would U2 even bother recording an album if they didn't think/want it to be their best ever?

what else is left for them to accomplish other than to outdo themselves?

i honestly think Bono says these things as much to psych himself and the band up to deliver on what he's promising.

and i'm just so happy they're still recording as they start to approach 50, and have yet to embarass themselves. we're lucky to still have them.

Amen 2 that. :mac:

The John Tree said:

is it wrong to like everything they've done? i personally have no problem with anything the band has done in their career. i choose to enjoy them. i'm not faking anything when i say that either.

the people who have a problem with those who like everything U2 has done are simply jealous.

mikal said:

is it wrong to like everything they've done? i personally have no problem with anything the band has done in their career. i choose to enjoy them. i'm not faking anything when i say that either.

the people who have a problem with those who like everything U2 has done are simply jealous.

These comments make me feel so much better. I honestly was starting to wonder if I was the only one who liked everything U2 has done (not to the same degree, naturally). When a band's music consistenly has an effect on me the way U2's does, I begin to form a relationship of trust with them. I am willing to give anything they do a fair shot (even if it takes many listens) and I can honestly say U2 has always won me over...sometimes sooner than others. I guess I'm so into them as a band and their music that it's not even an effort. I buy what they're doing and where they're coming from. I'm willing to follow them from punk to techno to dance to mainstream to alternative to epic to personal to wherever. Because at this point I know they will deliver the goods. Because they never haven't. And they don't settle for anything else. They mean it when they say that there is no point in continuing as a band if you're making crap music or irrelevant music. And I believe them. So bashing 00s U2 and claiming that they're now making crap music shows a broken musical relationship between fan and U2. You don't believe them anymore. You don't buy it. You won't follow them where they're going. Loving everything they've done isn't being a sheep. It's showing trust and commitment. I would never have given an album like Zooropa a chance if it wasn't made by U2. But I did, and they opened up my ears to different music. Coming to U2 with demands is a silly way to have a relationship with a band. They won't remake an album. These guys have proven that they are an amazing band to everyone who posts on this forum. If they think the album is great, I trust them that it is. And they've never been wrong.

Back
Top Bottom