Miracle Drug...the best song on HTDAAB.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's one of the elite songs on the album, but I can't stand the line "there is no failure here sweetheart / just when you quit," though. I wince whenever I hear it.

That's weird, I wince too. I like the there is no failure here sweetheart part, but the phrasing for the second line just doesn't quite make it.

Miracle Drug is a well-written song, but after 8 million listens it still sounds unfinished to me. If I dissect each part, I love it:

• The interplay between Christopher Nolan/mom and Bono/The Edge :up:
  • The Edge's slide guitar solo - heart-felt & exquisite :up:
  • Bono's voice :up:
  • The song's message :up:
  • Larry's slow-tempo'ed drumming during the slide guitar solo :up:

But yet, still feels unfinished to me. :sad:

Miracle drug is great,, But its the second greatest song on the album for me.

First: Yahweh,,, Love it

I do love Miracle Drug. The only complaint I have is the ending. It just sorta...stops. :huh:

Other than that, definitely in my top three. :up:

At first it was one of my all-time favourite, but now it's just worn-out. Not a classic, for sure, just a nice pop-ish song with a catchy chorus and sweet guitars... (made to be loved) It's not even close to the classics (One, WoWY, All I Want Is You...)

It's one of my favourite songs on HTDAAB and it could be a classic after the tour.
It's surely more than a "nive pop-ish song".

yimou said:
Miracle drug is great,, But its the second greatest song on the album for me.

First: Yahweh,,, Love it

Finally someone who agrees with Yahweh being the greatest and Miracle Drug being the second greatest.

Awesome couple of songs, and Yahweh is u2's greatest ever album closer.

Definitely one of the best songs on the album and I can't comprehend the complaints about the ending - I just it's fine.

COBL, however, is superior.

Miracle Drug is a great song, and one of the best on the albums. Just a signature u2 song that no one can duplicate. The "top of the newborn baby's head" line kind of feels out of place to me, the line has grown on me but I still don't love it. But I don't have a problem with the ending, even if I did the guitar work by Edge is so incredible it doesn't matter :wink:

intedomine said:

Finally someone who agrees with Yahweh being the greatest and Miracle Drug being the second greatest.

Awesome couple of songs, and Yahweh is u2's greatest ever album closer.

You got that right :up:

It's a great song, though it only comes into it's own later on, when Edge's guitar really soars. I can imagine this being amazing live. Possibly my favourite on the album, but depends on my mood. It's best when it starts trailing off at 2:30, and Edge's solo.

Last edited:
While I don't think it's a bad song, it's dull and overrated on this forum IMO. It's my second least favorite on the album after Crumbs.

RademR said:
The "top of the newborn baby's head" line kind of feels out of place to me, the line has grown on me but I still don't love it.

Bono's must really love this line though, since he uses it in Levitate also.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
At first it was one of my all-time favourite, but now it's just worn-out. Not a classic, for sure, just a nice pop-ish song with a catchy chorus and sweet guitars... (made to be loved) It's not even close to the classics (One, WoWY, All I Want Is You...)

In your opinion.

I don't know if it's the best, but it's most certainly in my top 2-3 favourites on the album.

It's a great song...though I just can't take the part where it slows down. It just saps the song of all energy. Of course Edge returns in spectacular form for the solo, but I hate that slow part. On the CD:UK recording you could see that Bono had to keep the crowd in the song during that part. I'm just so mad at them.
huh...

How do people not love Original of the Species? This song has the most potential on the album to be the next HUGE U2 song!

It is one of the best, I think that Sometimes, Original and City are better. Those are the classics IMO.

A tie with One step closer as a very good song - that's Drug.

I'm not sure if it's the best song on the album, but definitely in the top 3 or 4 for me.

One arguement that just doesn't hold water for me is "it sounds unfinished." Saying it's "unfinished" just seems odd to me. Being that this is the finished version on the studio album, I assure you it's finished--especially being we know U2 were in no huge rush to get the album out. What exactly would a "finished version" sound like if it's not the one on the album? :eyebrow:

I also think the lyrics to this song are incredible...

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn babys head"
I dunno, maybe only people who've spent a lot of time with babies will get this one..

"There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit."
I was incredibly suprised to see people cringe at this line...It's perfect in the context of the song. I'm a teacher, so I end up talking to hopeless kids all the time who want to give up or who are afraid to fail. Also, my mother is disabled and often wants to give up...This is one of my favorite lines on the entire album. In the context of someone disabled, which is what the song is about, trying to overcome and sometimes failing along the way is better than never trying at all.

Nice to see other people appreciating Miracle drug and Yahweh, which to me are the most ecstatic songs on the album, and i feel they will be really uplifting live.

Miracle drug should be released as a single, i think it would do fine on the radiowaves.

Kudos to those riding the "Yahweh" wave. It's what "Walk on" was to ATYCLB, but it's better placed on the album and has more kick...

"Miracle Drug" is, to go cliche, close but no cigar. The ending should be more of an emtional eruption. Instead, to me, the song quietly goes away....But I'm curious to hear it live with whatever twists Bono can possibly add...

ImOuttaControl said:
One arguement that just doesn't hold water for me is "it sounds unfinished." Saying it's "unfinished" just seems odd to me. Being that this is the finished version on the studio album, I assure you it's finished--especially being we know U2 were in no huge rush to get the album out. What exactly would a "finished version" sound like if it's not the one on the album? :eyebrow:

"There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit."
I was incredibly suprised to see people cringe at this line...It's perfect in the context of the song. I'm a teacher, so I end up talking to hopeless kids all the time who want to give up or who are afraid to fail. Also, my mother is disabled and often wants to give up...This is one of my favorite lines on the entire album. In the context of someone disabled, which is what the song is about, trying to overcome and sometimes failing along the way is better than never trying at all.

The first point...maybe instead of unfinished, I should use unpolished. One thing that struck me on first listen was that there was no clear delineation between the first chorus and the verse before it; thus, reducing it's effect as the chorus. This is my opinion and my reaction, obviously.

The second point...There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit. I'm not questioning its context or significance as it relates to the song's message. It's the perfect context for what Bono is trying to get across. What is making me cringe is the phrasing of the line within the song structure. It doesn't flow for me. I'll give you another example: Reason is on our side, loooove. This also makes me cringe because of how he stretches the word "love" in that verse. It's like he couldn't come up with enough syllables to fill in this line. Live, he doesn't even say "love" - probably because it makes him cringe.

Now, I don't pretend to be a better song writer or possess the ability to come up with better lines. It's just not what I'm used to coming from Bono. This is what I mean by unfinished. Given more time, he may have been able to come up with something better.

Miracle Drug is my favorite!

Maybe not the best, but it's great.

there is no failure here sweetheart, only when you quit

how can that line make you cringe? It really applies to life. It's the truth.

And Edge singing kills me. I love it. Not to mention how good his guitar is. *sigh* this song is too good maybe.

again. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom