Live Earth concert to be held at Giants Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miringeltje said:
Organizers have also promised an event in Antarctica.

Wonder what type of event that'll be.
:ohmy: Just imaging U2 playing there.
With Edge constantly on fire, the polar caps will be melting away within hours.

They said there would be a smaller "side-event" in Berlin.

Considering that Germany also has its not too small share in CO2 emission and so on and that our politicians could very well do more, as well as our business leaders and people in general, I don't think why they don't consider Berlin a much more important city.

And the fact that I live here and would like to attend such a concert as well. ;)

I should write U2 a letter that Berlin still has some time, and it's a good cause, so if they wanted to participate, why not here. ;)

wow the US lineup is pretty shitty

Smashing Pumpkins are good, Kanye West is decent, everything else...bleh.

you'd think U2 would have confirmed by now if they were going to do it... they probably wouldnt be at the US show anyway

I think its wishful thinkin hoping for a U2 appearance. Bono will prob turn up wi some contribution. But i think that will be it.

I hope u2 DOESNT play.
Stupid idea for these stars to play when they jet around the world on tour.

They're calling it "Live Earth"? What's next? "Make Global Warming History"?

It snowed here on Thursday, by the way, followed by several nights of freezing temperatures. We haven't had an April this cold since 1983.

Rachel D. said:

It snowed here on Thursday, by the way, followed by several nights of freezing temperatures. We haven't had an April this cold since 1983.

Perfect, global warming doesn't exist. That's the proof \o/

We had seven consecutive months too warm, March on average two degrees warmer than average, in Central Europe.

Vincent Vega said:

Perfect, global warming doesn't exist. That's the proof \o/

We had seven consecutive months too warm, March on average two degrees warmer than average, in Central Europe.

Well, those 7 months MUST be the proof then. I know we have been recording global temperatures with stunning accuracy for the last 10,000 years and all....

Anyone who believes in evolution shouldn't really give 2 hoots, we'll adapt !

If this were a court case you'd have "experts" by the dozen being traipsed out by both sides, wasn't that long ago self-proclaimed experts claimed the earth was flat, but at least they didn't claim to invent the internet or make millions by being nice to the Petroleum industry....

toscano said:

Well, those 7 months MUST be the proof then. I know we have been recording global temperatures with stunning accuracy for the last 10,000 years and all....

If this were a court case you'd have "experts" by the dozen being traipsed out by both sides, wasn't that long ago self-proclaimed experts claimed the earth was flat, but at least they didn't claim to invent the internet or make millions by being nice to the Petroleum industry....

psssst.... www.climatecrisis.net pass it on...

:shh:

Last edited:
the whole global warming debate is just asinine.

it is entirely possible that everything gore says in that documentary is exactly true, and that we are on a path of destruction. it is also entirely possible that global warming does not exist... that it is just an enironmental cycle that's happened before, will end, and will come back again. we have no way of knowing... in 1,000 years? we'll know. or rather our great great great great great great grandkids will know.

but regardles of wether you believe in it or don't believe in it, fact of the matter is that doing something good for the environment can't be a bad thing. be it recycling, cutting back on polution... whatever. living in a nicer place is never a bad thing.

LyricalDrug said:
Wanted to post this here, since there have been lots of rumors about U2 performing at this summer's Live Earth concerts. Still no confirmation as to whether U2 will play, but it's been announced that the US show will be held at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.

Full details are over at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18037677/

I wouldn't go across the street to see most of those acts, even for free. :(

Maybe DMB.

toscano said:

:lol: I guess there's a reason you don't debate this in FYM, because you wouldn't last 2 posts...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lol: I guess there's a reason you don't debate this in FYM, because you wouldn't last 2 posts...

I envy how much time you have on your hands doing such meaningful work.......my hero....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vincent Vega said:

that doesn't prove anything either.

talking about global warming is apparently sexy these days, if bon jovi and madonna are all about it.

great, another giant concert to raise "awareness".

climate change is real... but i still think this whole thing is ridiculous.

toscano said:

this is entirely true.

anyone who knows anything about, or subscribes to chaos theory would probably agree.

humans are fools to think they can actually destroy the planet.

however, that isn't the point. it's about maintaining a livable environment for as long as possible, and at this juncture, it would appear as though curbing emissions is a necessary requirement.

toscano said:

That's exactly the point. You can't take single cases and say global warming exists, or doesn't exist. We also have had El Nino for the past months.

So a few days of cold in April aren't proof that nothing changes, and a few days or months of warmth aren't proof that there is this change.

The experts you cite were people from the church who liked to kill people if they said something different. The flat earth theory is about 2,000 years old, and got defended by the Catholic church. And they did everything they could that people like Kopernikus, Bruno or Galilei didn't get their findings published.

Overall, there is many signs for a change of the world's climate, and everybody knows that our CO2 emission and so on are damage to the earth. The question open isn't, if something is happening, but to what extent are we responsible, and what can we do to not make it worse.

We are wasting resources, and even if their effect on global climate was not to worry, we are taking these resources from our future generations. We burn loads of oil today, and produce crap with our limited resources, and don't think a second about how we will explain our children that they have to cope with the leftovers.

But the overwhelming majority of experts, and their models, have shown that we have our share in global warming. And I don't see why it would be nicer to pollute our air so much more, which also has effects on our health, than to cut down the pollution and use technical advancements.

Except for the fact, that oil companies won't be happy.

Vincent Vega said:

That's exactly the point. You can't take single cases and say global warming exists, or doesn't exist. We also have had El Nino for the past months.

So a few days of cold in April aren't proof that nothing changes, and a few days or months of warmth aren't proof that there is this change.

The experts you cite were people from the church who liked to kill people if they said something different. The flat earth theory is about 2,000 years old, and got defended by the Catholic church. And they did everything they could that people like Kopernikus, Bruno or Galilei didn't get their findings published.

Overall, there is many signs for a change of the world's climate, and everybody knows that our CO2 emission and so on are damage to the earth. The question open isn't, if something is happening, but to what extent are we responsible, and what can we do to not make it worse.

We are wasting resources, and even if their effect on global climate was not to worry, we are taking these resources from our future generations. We burn loads of oil today, and produce crap with our limited resources, and don't think a second about how we will explain our children that they have to cope with the leftovers.

But the overwhelming majority of experts, and their models, have shown that we have our share in global warming. And I don't see why it would be nicer to pollute our air so much more, which also has effects on our health, than to cut down the pollution and use technical advancements.

Except for the fact, that oil companies won't be happy.

At the time, the experts I cited were in the majority, just as you claim that today most "experts" say that global warming is taking place. In fact there is historical evidence that a large gathering of court jesters and strolling musicians took place in an event called "Live Flat"

I'm not saying that global warming ISN'T happening, just being a tad skeptical, especially when somoene like Gore comes in at the 11th hour to add his weight to it, someone who owes much of his considerable wealth to the raping of the environment.

Models are exactly that, models. They prove NOTHING. They can't even get the weather forecast right half the time here in Southern California, a wild assed guess based upon experience is more accurate. And that is for predicting the next day !

Are we wasting resources ? Yes. Should we be more environmentally conscious as a good practice ? Yes. Are biofuels a good thing ? Yes to lessen dependence on the middle east. Not necessarily for the environment. Is global Warming happening ? Maybe. Maybe not. It's not happening because Gore jumped on the bandwagon and said it is, and not because of nameless "experts" coming out of the woodwork, there are just as many out there who say it's a crock.

toscano said:

Are we wasting resources ? Yes. Should we be more environmentally conscious as a good practice ? Yes. Are biofuels a good thing ? Yes to lessen dependence on the middle east. Not necessarily for the environment. Is global Warming happening ? Maybe. Maybe not. It's not happening because Gore jumped on the bandwagon and said it is, and not because of nameless "experts" coming out of the woodwork, there are just as many out there who say it's a crock.

Your ignorance on the subject is outstanding. First of all, Gore shouldn't even be an issue in this, quit using him as an excuse. Secondly, I dare you to show me how the number of experts is even close to being even.:|

toscano said:

At the time, the experts I cited were in the majority, just as you claim that today most "experts" say that global warming is taking place. In fact there is historical evidence that a large gathering of court jesters and strolling musicians took place in an event called "Live Flat"

I'm not saying that global warming ISN'T happening, just being a tad skeptical, especially when somoene like Gore comes in at the 11th hour to add his weight to it, someone who owes much of his considerable wealth to the raping of the environment.

Models are exactly that, models. They prove NOTHING. They can't even get the weather forecast right half the time here in Southern California, a wild assed guess based upon experience is more accurate. And that is for predicting the next day !

The church leaders were no experts. They just feared that when one dogma falls, the church will fall subsequently. And their power was lost during the enlightenment, when real experts came up and used their free minds.

Al Gore exaggerates, that's right. But in countries other than the US the sense for some change was well before Al Gore came up and his movie was produced.

Global warming is not a thing you believe in, or not. It's a threat likely to happen, and I don't know how it's with you, but I don't want to use trial and error to find out only because I want to be right.

Weather and climate is not the same at all. Weather is locally and very restricted in time. Climate is long-term and a large region.
The weather forecast is very inaccurate because tiny changes in pressure and other factors not predictable can have a huge influence on the actual weather outcome.

The models, data, and whatnot used to predict the climate change over the next fifty years are based on huge databases (the database for the climate project in Hamburg is the largest in the world of all databases that exist).
Everything has shown that there will be a change, and of course there is "best case" and "worst case" and "realistic case". But none of these cases predicted a stable climate.
Of course there is some possibility left that we get proven wrong. But again, do you really want to find out only to be able to say in the end "Oh, I was wrong." or "Yes, I was right and you followed this stupid climate change theory"?

We have the technic and resources to do something against it, and it will not that bad economically as some try to argue. In fact, some businesses will find it harder, some easier, and many new will be created. A normal fluctuation that always has taken place.

It's not only to get less dependent on Arab oil, which is very important as well. But it's also to provide some better future for our next generations, and to improve our very own standard of living (clean air for example).
There's much more than just biofuels.

I highly doubt there are "as many out there who say it's a crock."

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Your ignorance on the subject is outstanding. First of all, Gore shouldn't even be an issue in this, quit using him as an excuse. Secondly, I dare you to show me how the number of experts is even close to being even.:|

The next time you get something right will be the first time. You amuse me in the same way a puppy dog does.

:laugh:

toscano said:

The next time you get something right will be the first time. You amuse me in the same way a puppy dog does.

:laugh:

So you're saying you can show me where there are "just as many" experts who say it's a crock? I'd love to see it. Come on, since I haven't got anything right show me and the rest of interference that it's "just as many". Please do! We'll all be waiting.

Back
Top Bottom