Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, they'll do the right thing to increase sales by releasing it at Christmas time (so, 45 year old U2 fans can buy extra copies for their 12 year old nephews and nieces that will give it half a listen). Since they won't continue working on the new album until after the tour, there's probably not much of a chance of it making it out for this Christmas, so they should just lock it in the vault until Xmas 2012. I'm sure McGuinne$$ will be most pleased. :up:

So three weeks after the tour is done, the settle on a direction. They're not going to release anything soon as they'll need to tour the material.

I would be perfectly happy if they just put out albums or EPs every few years and didn't tour.

To make matters worse, they're likely going to return to the U.S. with this Greatest Hits bullshit that've they've been doing for the last leg. Who other than lowest-common-denominator fans and people who have never been to a show wants to see that?

And as someone who isn't excited about any of the newer songs debuted, there isn't much for me here. Sorry, but as great as this band is I don't care to hear the same old, same old, especially when they dropped a bunch of great material from No Line.

I hope not. I'm going to feel robbed if I see the same show I saw in 09. Both NY shows were sold out last time so everybody saw that set already, I hope they bring something new.

I really don't care about the set list being affected by this news; I'm just glad that I'm going to another U2 show. The set list doesn't concern me because I'm in it for the experience more than the songs.

I'm still bummed out, though, that there won't be an album in May. But it really makes sense, as they have a tour to think about besides Glastonbury and that stupid Spiderman crap. There's probably just too much stuff going on. :| This summer could either be really interesting or really quiet on the New Album front.

I can't believe all of the comments about caring less about the band. If there's a definition of a musical bandwagon all of ya who are saying that fit it. Just sayin.

Maybe you all should go away for a while and you know,dream it all up again and come back when new album is out. I don't get it,there was 5 years between the last 2 albums but now all of a sudden everybody is going crazy about new album coming out after the tour. Maybe they really are'nt ready to put it out yet,with so much shit going on with spidey and tour scedual being messed up etc. Maybe they want to be 100% sure about new stuff and awoid putting someting out and get endless whining about songs being poor and weak blah blah blah... sorry,end of rant.Dont'hate me!
:up:

Jumping in at the end. Are people bitching because now they're not touring in support of anything?

Maybe that would matter if the US dates were new and not rescheduled from last summer, when they still ostensibly would have been touring in support of NLOTH. They rescheduled dates due to Bono's surgery, and added on a few places they hadn't yet played. What's the big deal? They're not touring just for the sake of touring, they're making up for canceled dates and adding a few here and there.

But I understand the disappointment of facing similar setlists. I'll still be thrilled to see them again, but I get not wanting to see more or less the same show again.

I'm just glad to have some sort of news. I'm kind of relieved, actually. :lol: Yeah, I would have liked a new album coming soon, but whatever. I can move on and start making my plans now, as it seems pretty sure to me that there's not going to be any big ol' Dublin shows in the near future.

I'm kind of relieved, actually.

Absolutely. It's a bummer that their wont be an album, but at least we're not sitting here every day as things get worse and worse without any info for the next month and a half before they tell us this.

Plus, I'm glad that U2 is the kind of band that is always worried about their material that they release. They're not just in it for a quick buck. Everybody knows that if they release an album it's going to sell, regardless of the content in it.

Here's Edge's quote, which sounds really familiar:

"Bono's been talking about different projects and they're all still kind of alive. We're not ready to commit to one particular direction, but we've so much new material. And when the dust settles and we're off the road, I think we're gonna give ourselves a couple weeks and sit back and figure it all out and decide which way we're gonna go." Later he adds, "We're enjoying that moment where things haven't fully come into focus and we could take it in a number of different directions."

It's Spidermans fault then:lol:

Plus, I'm glad that U2 is the kind of band that is always worried about their material that they release. They're not just in it for a quick buck. Everybody knows that if they release an album it's going to sell, regardless of the content in it.
That's exactly the problem because I and many others have the feeling that the tinkering makes the material any better.

Jesus, people are actually surprised/angry.

Do you know who this is? This is U2.

Ha. I guess I'm surprised that I'm always surprised to see the level of vitriol when stuff like this happens. They're a frustrating band to love, to say the least, but jeez louise, guys.

Who other than lowest-common-denominator fans and people who have never been to a show wants to see that?

That's way harsh, Tai. :tsk:

I always love to see them. Would I enjoy it more if they were going to be doing some other stuff? Probably. But guess what? I enjoy going to U2 concerts. Period. You want something more interesting to make it worth your while? Fine. No need to get all insulty.

I bitch and moan about In a Little While, but I'm laughing about it. I'm not actually angry, because holy shit, what a waste of energy.

Oh, and I promised an angry gif I've been waiting to use if it turned out there would be no album this spring. Behold my joking rage. :wink:

tumblr_leoszz1vfF1qdlkgg.gif

Edge said:
We're enjoying that moment where things haven't fully come into focus and we could take it in a number of different directions.
That's nice. We're not. :waiting:

Return of the Stingray Guitar
Beautiful Day (twice)
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Elevation (Bono)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Tree Hill
Miss Sarajevo
(Fez segue - possibly live vocals?)
City of Blinding Lights
Walk On
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Moment of Surrender (Bono)
Beautiful Day (Bono)

That's exactly the problem because I and many others have the feeling that the tinkering makes the material any better.

Did you mean that the tinkering doesn't make the material any better?

If so, take a look at Always vs. Beautiful Day and think about that. Always is a great song, but it's not memorable as it is typical. Beautiful Day is epic, and a U2 song for the ages.

I could see that being the cause. But honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Spiderman had nothing to do with it, and they're just being cautious and/or waffling again.

Also, I meant to comment on this:

i get that the shows are rescheduled... but if they weren't rescheduled and they came back with the exact same setlist, i woulda been upset about it.

Yeah, I can't disagree with the setlist thing. There's no reason that they couldn't mix it up a bit on their return. Maybe they will - I'm not going to hold my breath, because I know how this goes with them. :wink:

But yeah, that's a little frustrating to just keep schlepping the same setlist around the globe. A few changes here or there, yeah, but they're not consistent. But anyway - I don't want to get into yet another setlist slog in this thread. I know not everyone agrees, and there are usually defenses for it. I get it.

Julie Taymor is now public enemy #1 as far as I'm concerned. There's no way that Spiderman had no effect on being able to organize their material.

I hope someone sets her up on a date with Sean Connery.

i don't 100% buy that spiderman had anything to do with it either. i think they're a bunch of pansies.

danger mouse's "no comment" on the album happened a few months ago, before it was known that bono and edge would have to spend more time with spidey. and the album would have had to be done by then, as we've all said many times.

i just think they're scared of failure.

am prepared to wait for the album, am not gonna slag U2 off like some people have on this thread. Am as disappointed as you all are, but as fans we just have to wait and see what happens, have faith. You never know what could happen????? :wave:

Well, I don't feel the slightest bit disappointed because I never expected anything to happen anyway. I've already pretty much accepted U2 as the new Rolling Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom