"Fortunate Son" and "Paint It Black"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
When U2 released these songs as B-sides to "Who's Gonna Ride," critics seemed to be fairly unimpressed with the quality of these cover versions, especially given the general brilliance of "Achtung."

But while thumbing through "U2 Propaganda" recently, I read an interview with Bono during the R&H period about how they recorded a whole bunch of cover versions for future B-sides, including one or two that had Maria McKee singing backup. In another interview from the same period Adam talks specifically about recording "Fortunate Son" but being pretty certain it didn't work, so he wasn't sure where that song would fall.

So for those who would rank these fairly low in the U2 canon...perhaps now we can see what period they were intended for.

No one cares? Okay...but at least I got to rearrange my "Rattle and Hum Outtakes" playlist in iTunes.

yep, nice find, they are all from the Paul Barrett sessions, I think.

The 'All I Want if You' single came out in June 1989. So the sessions are at least that old. Assuming they weren't part of the R&H sessions because they have different producers, that would date those sessions probably sometime in the spring of 1989.

Can't Help Falling in Love, Unchained Melody and Everlasting Love as well.

I really like them both too, along with unchained melody and everlasting love I think they are all good versions. Much better then the crap they put on b-sides these days.
Paint it Black in particular is brilliant, it got me listening to The Stones and I became a huge fan of their 60's stuff.

I don't think those covers are particularly bad
but I don't think they're really good either

Al have my say on this i think. Am normally a big fan of u2 covers (Dancing barefoot,Everlasting love, and even my mate who is no fan of U2 thinks their cover of unchained melody is Even Better Than The Real Thing ...clever eh?) )but both the aforementioned are poor by U2 standards. Especially as am a huge fan of the original Fortunate son.

It's weird how they date back to 89 but they sort of have an Achtung Baby era feel to them. ESPECIALLY Paint it Black with its heavily distorted guitar and the alterations to Bono's voice.

Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom