Fishing for U2 fans...in everyday life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
centuryfox said:
The worst is when someone says "you two" or "you too" or "you to" and I'm like "WHAT?!!?!?! U2?!?!!"
Especially when it's a lotion commercial that goes "Now you too can have baby soft skin", and you burst into laughter at the mental image of Larry gently and diligently rubbing lotion onto his arms :lol:

Anytime a car with a rap song goes by I mention Kite.

"When hip-hop drove the big cars":drool:

People also think I'm mad when I say that Nelly stole from 11'O Clock Tick Tock.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Probably my most interesting U2 reference.

Me: How is he supposed to know if he never talks to me?! It's like we're stuck in this moment and we're never going to get out of it.
My friend Dom: ...did you just work a U2 lyric into your vernacular?
Me: Yes.
Me: Yes I did.
Me: And I AM NO LONGER ASHAMED!
Dom: you fail.

That is friggin' hilarious!! I never actually thought to work random bits of lyrics, etc. into my speech, but I should try it sometime!
I do however, perk up in the mall/store etc. when a U2 song is playing and sing along even if I'm all alone!

When I can afford a cell phone and car, I WILL have a U2 ringtone and a U2 license plate!!!:wink:

Just to add to the adding U2 lyrics in everyday speech thing...

I was in geometry, and we were learning about angles of elevation...

I whispered "EL-E-VA-TION!!!" under my breath anytime my teacher said "elevation." And then the song was in my head all day, and I walked out of class singing the "Ooh! Ooooh!" part.

4EVRU2 said:

That is friggin' hilarious!! I never actually thought to work random bits of lyrics, etc. into my speech, but I should try it sometime!

The lyrics thing is fun. I only have one coworker and she’s not a U2 fan so she NEVER picks up on anything I use and I don’t try and explain it to her anymore. If nothing else I amuse myself.

It's hilarious to insert a lyric recitation in the middle of an otherwise serious conversation. It successfully lightens the mood. For example:

PERSON #1: I think I'll stay in bed all day, I'm feeling down.
PERSON #2: It's a beautiful day.
PERSON #1: Yeah, but I've lost all will to live.
PERSON #2: sky falls, ya feel like it's a beautiful day.
PERSON #1: WTF are you talking about?! I'm telling you that today is not beautiful, I just want to stay in.
PERSON #2: touch me, take me to that other place.
PERSON #1: :ohmy:

Canadiens1160 said:

Does anyone else drop random bits of U2-ness, hoping that the new girl will do a double take and tell you her favourite song is Mofo?

My most effective method of fishing for fellow fans is wearing my rather obscure, old school, UABRS t-shirt seen here. That way, I get responses from fans who recognize the picture and know the older songs, instead of people who only be able to point out U2 if I was wearing a huge "U2" or a giant Bono-face on my shirt.

The wearing of this shirt has actually scored me a really good new friend and fellow fan I never would've met otherwise, since our lives are at such different points (I'm 21, still in school, engaged and she's married, working, has two kids). She works in the French office, I work for Information Technology. One day I was working on the French dept. printer, which always has serious problems. I was wearing my shirt. She commented on the shirt, I commented on the ATYCLB background she had on her computer screen, and the rest was history! Now we talk about once a week, we've gone to U2 shows together, and we meet about once every other month to just hang out. Ironically, she also happens to be the cousin of one of my best friends from high school who I still spend tons of time with when she's in the area.

If U2 ever sells out or starts recording shit music, at least I'll have some great new friendships that came out of my U2 experiences.

Heres a story:

There is this little puny boy in my sons class who keeps calling him dumb and stupid, meanwhile my son gets all A's but this kid keeps pestering him, my son doesn't want to get in trouble in school so he trys to ignore him. This kids mother wrote a story in her church paper about the spirituality in SYCMIOYO and what the song meant to Bono etc. You would never peg this woman as a U2 fan....she even went to the fall shows I went to...Point being is that she writes this letter about how we are supposed to get along etc. meanwhile its obvious she doesn't practice what she preaches at home....!!!!!:huh:

JCOSTER said:
Heres a story:

There is this little puny boy in my sons class who keeps calling him dumb and stupid, meanwhile my son gets all A's but this kid keeps pestering him, my son doesn't want to get in trouble in school so he trys to ignore him. This kids mother wrote a story in her church paper about the spirituality in SYCMIOYO and what the song meant to Bono etc. You would never peg this woman as a U2 fan....she even went to the fall shows I went to...Point being is that she writes this letter about how we are supposed to get along etc. meanwhile its obvious she doesn't practice what she preaches at home....!!!!!:huh:

Wait, hang on - are you saying that because your son's being bullied by this woman's son, she doesn't promote getting along at home? If so, I think that's a bit of a gross generalisation. Sometimes kids are just bastards, despite what their parents teach them.

My ear is definitely tuned to U2-ness.

If I hear a song, I make people shut up so I can enjoy it. I can usually tell what song it is within a note or two.

Song lyrics are often worked into my conversations, but most people don't notice, unless I start laughing, or if they're U2 fans as well.

I was driving with a friend the other day, and she said something about bright lights meeting the city (she's not a U2 fan) and I burst out into Desire. It was pretty funny.

I liked your story JCOSTER. I have a son too. Every day I spout advice (I never nag, of course - I just give advice). The shorter it is, the better it is actually listened to. Cannot tell you how many times I have quoted U2 lyrics, etc. I need all the help I can get!!
It's tough being a parent sometimes!! :slant:

redkat said:
the last cover band show I went to a guy requested seconds and used the term snippetry :drool: My ears perked up...I knew he was a REAL fan
Wow, nice :ohmy:

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Just to add to the adding U2 lyrics in everyday speech thing...

I was in geometry, and we were learning about angles of elevation...

I whispered "EL-E-VA-TION!!!" under my breath anytime my teacher said "elevation." And then the song was in my head all day, and I walked out of class singing the "Ooh! Ooooh!" part.

Last year my friends and I would sing Elevation in Chemistry class...everyday...usually as we were walking out, but sometimes quite loudly in the middle of class :wink: it turns out my chem teacher was a U2 fan too! :lol: because I went out of my way to make a pun with U2 and he goes "U2? That's my favourite band!" Then I told him I loved him and he let me borrow Under a Blood Red Sky and I let him borrow HTDAAB and I taught him how to play SBS on guitar and he was hot :drool: I miss him :sad:

my math teacher likes U2 too... I don't have trouble finding U2 fans in real life, but I can never find anyone my age :huh:

Achtung_Bebe said:
It's hilarious to insert a lyric recitation in the middle of an otherwise serious conversation. It successfully lightens the mood. For example:

PERSON #1: I think I'll stay in bed all day, I'm feeling down.
PERSON #2: It's a beautiful day.
PERSON #1: Yeah, but I've lost all will to live.
PERSON #2: sky falls, ya feel like it's a beautiful day.
PERSON #1: WTF are you talking about?! I'm telling you that today is not beautiful, I just want to stay in.
PERSON #2: touch me, take me to that other place.
PERSON #1: :ohmy:

note to self- don't talk to Achtung_Bebe when I am feeling down

GibsonGirl said:

Wait, hang on - are you saying that because your son's being bullied by this woman's son, she doesn't promote getting along at home? If so, I think that's a bit of a gross generalisation. Sometimes kids are just bastards, despite what their parents teach them.

No the mother is :censored: :censored: :angry: :banghead: :censored: also. So to write a story about SYCMIOYO is just so hypocritcal.

SunBloc said:
I liked your story JCOSTER. I have a son too. Every day I spout advice (I never nag, of course - I just give advice). The shorter it is, the better it is actually listened to. Cannot tell you how many times I have quoted U2 lyrics, etc. I need all the help I can get!!
It's tough being a parent sometimes!! :slant:

I quote lyrics alot too, my big one is the Coexist one!!!! Yes it is the toughest job in the world. :huh:

redkat said:
the last cover band show I went to a guy requested seconds and used the term snippetry :drool: My ears perked up...I knew he was a REAL fan

Was that our JT show? :hyper:

many funny stories here! Keep 'em coming!

oh i say plenty of things U2-ish during the day..sometimes someone will say stuff that is relevant to a U2 song and ill be like 'you know that sounds like a U2 song' and my friends roll their eyes...or in lots of situations ill go 'you know, there really is a U2 song for everything' and they roll their eyes again

but only around my close friends, who like to say things like 'you know someday you will be bono and i'll be the edge and we'll be famous' lol, though they arent huge fans...but most people i know are jerks and are always hating on U2 and i have to defend it against like 3/4 of the class... its annoying

anyway yeah

To bring my unashamed obsession with the band to the forefront I bypassed wearing green on st. patty's day and instead sported my vertigo concert tee..very proudly!!! sadly no one got the reference (THe best Irish band in the world ever being repped on st patty's day.:wink: :wink:

but yeah i also hope to meet random u2 fans...on the way to class one day i overheard a woman telling her friend all about the concert she went to ..never mentioned u2 but i know it was them. i really wanted to stop her and "omg you were there too!! weren't they great!!:drool: " but i was late for class...

yeah i always hope that guys i'm interested in will be a mad u2 fan or at least don't hate u2 because people will always be converted:evil:

Back
Top Bottom