Does Anyone Else Get Made Fun Of For Being A U2 Fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People will tease me about it sometimes, nothing serious. A couple people will make fun of Bono to annoy. One person said he was self-centered and i just had to walk away before i started to yell at them. I'm in High School so there arent that many fans there. There are a few that i know of, but me and my best friend are easily the biggest fans at our school. When we go to a concert and come back with pictures and autographs, its more the teachers that are jealous, but even they think i like U2 a little too much. When i told one that my friend and I gave bono a toy train and showed him the pic, he told me i needed help cause i was too obsessed. I think he was just jealous though.

Lemonfix said:
It sounds as if the shit we get from people often comes not from liking U2, but from liking U2 SO MUCH and being vocal about it, would that be a fair assesment? :wink:

Yes, I think that U2 fans are different in that they ARE so dedicated. U2's fanbase is extremely hardcore, atleast that has been my experience. I've never met a "sorta" fan at a U2 concert.

Then again, I've mostly met fans several hours before the show... :wink:

I do get picked on for being a fan. My uncle is bent on the fact that they're "old" (I cannot fathom this, as he is older than the band). This really irks me--U2 are NOT old, it's just that they have been around longer than the average person's attention span. :yikes:

The worst instance of ridicule that I've ever experienced was about 4 months ago... I was at a small local club near campus and this girl in on of my classes comes up to me and starts ripping me apart for liking U2 & Bono's "apartheid nonsense" blah blah blah. I did not even bother with defending myself, because I honestly feel that I don't have to. I just laughed because I knew she was drunk.

Yeah, I get it a lot. Double whammy because I'm a young blackwoman. Not only am I listening to an 'old' (eh? Bono's the oldest at 45. Geez.) band, but I'm listening to an 'old white band'. Heh. Go figure. I just smile and refrain from mentioning the idiocy of some middle-class idiot thinking 50 Cent is cool. Seriously.

I regularly get mocked for liking U2, and also my taste in music in general.

Doesn't particularly bother me though... looking at what most people my age listen to I am more than happy to be mocked for liking good music rather than listening to crap music just to fit in.

Last edited:
I've never been made fun of for being a fan, anyone that did that knows they would be beaten senseless by me :happy: :madwife:

I have however been made fun of for being way to obsessive with the band ;)

MrBrau1 said:
Seems most of the grief is being given to fans in high school.

So, what do your fellow classmates listen to?
I finished College in the summer but most people my age that I know listen to the cheesey pop poison that pollutes the radio stations these days or hip-hop/rap stuff such as 50 Cent.

There are a minority that like bands such as The Killers and Oasis (which is fair enough as I like these bands too), some of these like U2 (not fans, but like some of their stuff) and some don't.
Never get any negative comments about U2 or my music taste from these though.

hedgehog said:

I finished College in the summer but most people my age that I know listen to the cheesey pop poison that pollutes the radio stations these days or hip-hop/rap stuff such as 50 Cent.

That's the equivlant of someone eathing a McDonald's hamburger, while pointing and laughing at you while you enjoy a piece of perfecty grilled Fillet Mignon.:wink:

People in my high school are all into "vintage" stuff... :rolleyes: That and hip-hop/rap. We know we're the cool ones. :wink:

The ones who go "oh U2 is so overrated" are usually the indie snobs and are into bands until they "sell out," meaning garner a fanbase of more than ten stoners.

When I first met some of my friends they were "I don't like them so we had some disagreements with me being stubborn and strong willed, even more so back then. What I soon found out is that most people don't really know how many U2 songs are actually out there or they have forgotten how many were.
Now they throw in a friendly tease but it's all in the name of fun.
So now all my friends like them to an extent. And most people I meet respect U2 alot.
PS: In Europe U2 are huge.. not sure about the US in terms of popular opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, my husband gives me a lot of grief about me liking U2. I think it is just because he has never listened to any music in any depth. He is coming around a tiny bit now, but not much. It is no wonder.. In this area, at least, U2 is not played on the radio at all (mainly country and pop), so new listeners are not exposed to U2's (or any other decent band's) music. My pet peeve of the day: radio....

numb40ne said:
I'm in High School so there arent that many fans there. There are a few that i know of, but me and my best friend are easily the biggest fans at our school. When we go to a concert and come back with pictures and autographs, its more the teachers that are jealous, but even they think i like U2 a little too much. When i told one that my friend and I gave bono a toy train and showed him the pic, he told me i needed help cause i was too obsessed.

That's so true, of all the people I told my "I was right on the rail next to the band and I got a pick from Dallas" story to, the person that was the most impressed and jealous was my math teacher, no one else cared :lol: and my chem teacher last year also loved U2.

...you gave Bono a toy train?? I wanna hear the story behind that one :wink:

My best friend has became a diehard U2 fan after years of me talking about them because he just couldn't ignore me anymore :p I've converted one of my other friends to U2 fandom as well. I have a couple of friends who actually like what U2 songs they've heard, but they make fun of U2 around me just to piss me off. It's cool 'cos we're friends and it's all in good fun, especially since I know they don't actually hate U2. Some of my more casual friends, however... well, some of them still haven't stopped obnoxiously shouting YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH or HELLO HELLOOOOOOOOO or WHY DOES HE SAY 14 in my face. And of course they make fun of me for liking Bono and all, but I don't really give a shit. U2's the best goddamn band in the world and Bono's a sexy motherfucker regardless of his age, they can get over it. I'm certainly not gonna hide my love for U2.

Most of the people that make fun of me for liking U2 do it in good fun, even if it's in an annoying and repetitive fashion. Last year, though... There was this one guy that was relentless. He was one of those self-righteous "indie snobs" (except a lot of what he liked wasn't indie. green day? please.) and I hardly even KNEW the guy, but his typical greeting was "U2 sucks" and sometimes he'd get around his friends (some of which were also my friends) and they would all rag on U2. It's fine when they're joking, but when they're dead serious and talking about it for an hour... :| needless to say i'm glad that asshole graduated :wink: but it was weird cuz the guy actually KNEW more than the typical "U2 sucks" kinda guy. His assertion was "Everything after War sucked. Okay, well, The Joshua Tree. Everything after that is awful." So he admitted to liking some U2...but...anyone that doesn't think Achtung Baby is brilliant needs to get their head examined :coocoo:

People at my school listen to the so called "indie" scene music... Then there are a whole lot of hispanics at my school that LOVE regetton (is that how you spell it) I can't stand the stuff I don't consider it music at all...Not bashing any hispanics , I am hispanic. but musical taste in high school isn't that broad or any good(at least at my school)except for a select few....

Many people are getting used to my U2 fandom although there is the usual "They are so old" blah blah blah "vertigo sucks" :|

Johnny Cash was old. Willie Nelson is old.

They're both 10x cooler than Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire or any other hip, new, indie namedrop.

MrBrau1 said:
Seems most of the grief is being given to fans in high school.

So, what do your fellow classmates listen to?

:sigh: Coldplay was the big concert to go to in my high school this year, yet those same people have the nerve to make fun of me for listening to the original U2. Other than that, it's mostly rap or Slipknot, System of a Down (who I don't mind), Mudvayne, and other "metal" bands. When I came back from my U2 concert, the only people really interested were my friends (because they knew how big of a deal it was to me) and teachers, including my English teacher who has kickass taste in music. It makes sense, I don't think she's forty yet. She did get a little mad when I was showing everyone my pictures, but she let it slide because I was so excited. I'm still excited from it and it was almost 3 months ago. :hyper:

i think being a Clay Aiken fan is alot worst then being a U2 fan,alot.

When I say I like U2 people usually just say "cool" or "so do I"
But when I say I like Clay they say "that fag?!" etc etc.

:|

Back
Top Bottom