City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:29 AM
City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread

The good part:
..”and I miss you when your not around” I like very much. The verses and bridges are O.K. But that’s about it.

The bad part:
As Eno would put it: “this song has quite a few problems”. Well, to my opinion the whole song is a problem! I know I’m offending a lot of people now and that’s not my intention, but as a longtime fan, it’s just how I hear the song.

First of: The piano intro. I understand U2 decided they wanted a simple piano riff. But this riff is so slow, predictable that a little child would come up with something more original. But one of the biggest problems is about to come: The “slaaiiiide-guitaaahhr!!!” Yugh!!
This is the most WHINING, ANNOYING, MOANING guitar slide-riff Edge ever produced!! He must have had a very uninspired, bad day otherwise he would never come up with such a boring, whining slide-riff. He seeks a certain emotion, I hear that, but instead he takes a wrong turn and it gets enormously cheesy, I’m sorry.. I can’t believe, he himself, and the other members of the band let him get away with it.

Then you get the high ooooh, ooooh’s together with Adam’s pumping bass which sounded pretty good to me on first listen. I remember getting a little pumped up the first time I heard this part. This sounded very promising for the BIG chorus to come…
So I held on tight and then…: “oh…you…look…so…..biejooedifohohol…tonaaaiit………..” What??????? That’s it? Just a stupid yell over the same chord-sequence as the “ooooh, oooooh’s?? I couldn’t believe my ears!! And like it still wasn’t enough, that annoying “slaaaaiide-guitar” again. And although I heard the song for the first time I knew Bono was about to sing:…”in the city of blinding lahaits..” And he did!! How predictable…

Man, I could not believe how much of a caricature U2 themselves were making of this song. The chorus should have gone in a whole new direction so that one really could go: WOW!!! What a great surprising chorus!!! That would have saved the song (from mainly the intro!)
O.K. back to the song: Then you get a bridge and Bono start whining like he wants ice-cream: ..”tssaaahm, tssaaahm, tssaaahm, won’t leave me as I am” to wreck again my nerves with: “oh…you…look…so…biejooedifohohol…tonaaaiit………..” on repeat. And this supposed to be the climax!! Truly this is the worst chorus I have heard from this band in 20 years. Then it fades with the same dull piano…

I can’t believe they want to display so much recklessness and laziness regarding the chorus of this song and the cheesiness of Edge’s guitar. I can’t believe they skipped a song like “Mercy” for this track. Already in demo-form this song grabs your hand and flies off with you. Much more passion and drive!

Conclusion: They should have left City Of…on the shelves and rework it later to a really good song with more inspiration. And give more effort to get the cheesiness out. In this form it’s U2 unworthy. U2 are know for their superb intro’s but this one is so thin, vague, whiney. Like I said: The song is a caricature. Live it sounds a little better though. I’m sorry if I hurt somebody’s feelings about this song.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Re: City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread

As far as I'm concerned, not only is this the best song on HTDAAB, but one of U2's best songs, full stop. Classic but fresh U2, and it sounds amazing live (though the studio mixing certainly doesn't do the song any favours).

Quote:
Originally posted by onyourkneesboy
First of: The piano intro. I understand U2 decided they wanted a simple piano riff. But this riff is so slow, predictable that a little child would come up with something more original.
It's not as if any piano in any U2 song is exactly complex. A little child probably could've come up with October too.

Quote:
I can’t believe they skipped a song like “Mercy” for this track. Already in demo-form this song grabs your hand and flies off with you. Much more passion and drive!
Yawn. Mercy isn't the best thing since sliced bread. I've long since tired of Interference's vocal minority who can't comprehend how this song missed being put on HTDAAB - we get the hint already.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I love this song too and is easily the best thing on "Bomb". I appreciate your comments and can see where youre coming from, but this song has all the elements of why I Love U2's music so much.
I absolutely love the whoo oohh woos!!! Especially just before the first chorus.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:59 PM
I agree to an extent that the chorus should have been reworked, it doesn't carry the awsome bridge like it should. (The bridge is fkn brilliant with the ooohohhhohohss). If they nailed the chorus, it woulda been an absolutely brilliant song, in my top 5 of all time, everything else about the song is almost perfect.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 07:29 AM
What is "depriciation"? The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't know it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Simplicity can make for good music. The piano and guitar parts are relatively simple but they work. The "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" works too, and is awesome live. It's one of the top three songs on a good album.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I get as much energy from this track as i do with led zeppelin songs. Love the bridges and the chrous , sooo much energy.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:29 AM
You weren't allowed to pick the next one.

It's an all right song. I don't depreciate it, but I don't exactly see how anyone can rave about it like it's the second coming of Jesus.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
New Yorker

I don't like it either... but everyone has the right to have their tastes and opinions.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
New Yorker

worst song on the album(for me)
hate that song !! die die!!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Naturally, I disagree with everything. COBL is one of the best tunes U2 released in this decade.
I just wonder how the song would sound like in its very remote form (in the Pop era) and how it would sound when Chris Thomas produced those 2003 versions.

I think that the live version is quite superior, but the studio version works very well, it's even very pleasant when listened on the radio and it's the perfect opener for a stadium concert. That's why elements like that (boring?) slide guitar and the (yucky?) oooh's work so well.

Then, I don't think that the song is predictable. It's far from it, only because it has many structures in the song (more than the "normal") and the chords and bassline progresions are always changing.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
The Fly

Hmm...

Most comments in this thread so far, are from people who feel they have to stand up for this song.
I already know that a lot of people love it and probably the majority of the (classic) U2-fans do....

I started this thread because I was curious if there were any people with me who also think COBL is a rather forced, but empty song about a city, wrapped with as much glossy, shiny, and overall cliché-ed U2-wrappingpaper as the boys could find!

(I agree: live it has a little more balls...)

If this song is so great than it stands up for itself I think. You don't have to defend or praise it...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Refugee

I just wish it has a better chorus. Thats probably the weakest part of the song.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
The Fly

No way COBL deserves a depreciation thread. Other than the Dennis DeYoung/Styx sounding intro I think it is easily one of U2's best songs, past and present. I think the song rocks.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If this song is so great than it stands up for itself I think. You don't have to defend or praise it...
If no one defended it, you'd probably say, "If the song's so good, why aren't people praising it?"
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Refugee

Re: City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread

I can't say I hate the song, but I don't feel the massive amounts of wacky love for it that a lot of people do.

Something about it seems dirivitive (sp) of other U2 songs, almost like a cut and paste of several of their songs to make COBL. I won't shut it off if it's on and I certainly think it's a great opener for their concert, but putting itup there with WTSHNN is kinda silly to me.

I had the same reaction to WILATW. People thought that song was the second coming. I thought it would have made a brilliant b-side.

Eh. Different strokes...

Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
War Child

The first time I heard it on CD:UK or wherever, I thought it was the second coming of Jesus too... and now it just bores me. Even on my beloved bootlegs, it's one of those songs (along with Sometimes) that I always skip because it's just not that interesting to listen to. That chorus might be the worst thing U2 has come up with since Red Light.

Also, Bono's voice sounds so nasally and just... bad during "beauuuuutiful" that it really doesn't do the song any favors there.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I started this thread because I was curious if there were any people with me who also think COBL is a rather forced, but empty song about a city...
I never thought of it as a song only about a city, but rather experiences.
My favorite song on HTDAAB.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

awful song.....this song will forever be streets weaker brother............

awful chorus

oh you look so beautiful...

oh and this song is better live...but the production is awful
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:29 AM

COBL's production is not that good, but it's still a fine song and its live counterpart is amazing.

I guess I'll make the next "rahhh, let's gang on this song" thread soon