Best Song Survivor: 1990s/2000s Semifinal, Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I patiently await the person who says With Or Without You is not a great pop ballad. That doesn't mean they have to like it, but it is a shining example of pop ballads. I'd probably rank it right under The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody.

It would be like saying Johnny B. Goode is not a great rock 'n roll song.

You must be new. Stick around, there's wondrous sights to see, yet!
I'm slightly nervous and yet aroused. :hmm:

I patiently await the person who says With Or Without You is not a great pop ballad. That doesn't mean they have to like it, but it is a shining example of pop ballads. I'd probably rank it right under The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody.

Have some other bands that you really like but don't necessarily share the same fanbase as U2? Go to that fan forum and ask that question.

I'd expect the following from some other music forums that I occasionally go to:

First couple of replies won't even answer your question. They'll probably be "U2 sucks" or "Bono is a God complex asshole who doesn't pay taxes". Then you'll get a "lol" on the assumption that With or Without You is a shining example of a pop ballad. But if one gets lucky - you'll get a couple who will agree with you.

It's been tried. It didn't work very well.

I'm sure. It's the strategic voting, the vote switching, the bandwagoning and the pile ons that make it interesting. If people had to vote without knowing how other people voted, they'd get bored quickly.

I'm just saying that I think as a consequence the results would be more than a little different. :)

Have some other bands that you really like but don't necessarily share the same fanbase as U2? Go to that fan forum and ask that question.

Well I meant just here. The average Rage Against the Machine fan forum is obviously going to call Bono a conglomerate whore. The Pink Floyd fan forum is going to go into a long winded dissertation about what a ballad means and how "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is horribly underrated. The Coldplay forum is just going to post "Yellow" thirty times in a row. The Chris Brown fan forum will claim that Chris is the only pop star that matters and will beat the thread into oblivion, although the moderators will let them get away with it. The Skirllex fan forum is going to "WUUUUUUUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB, yeah but when does the bass drop?!"

Of course I like to think that U2 fans are more sophisticated than that. :wink:

Translation: maybe you're just a bit surprised to see so much hate for some of U2's most iconic (and well-loved) songs on a U2 "fan" forum.

And no, the fans here aren't necessarily any more sophisticated. You have to go to the Rush boards for that. :)

Well I meant just here. The average Rage Against the Machine fan forum is obviously going to call Bono a conglomerate whore. The Pink Floyd fan forum is going to go into a long winded dissertation about what a ballad means and how "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is horribly underrated. The Coldplay forum is just going to post "Yellow" thirty times in a row. The Chris Brown fan forum will claim that Chris is the only pop star that matters and will beat the thread into oblivion, although the moderators will let them get away with it. The Skirllex fan forum is going to "WUUUUUUUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB, yeah but when does the bass drop?!"

Of course I like to think that U2 fans are more sophisticated than that. :wink:

This made me :lol:, thanks for that!

The majority of people I've met, U2 fans or no, don't even like that song. Most of them started with U2 way before that song ever came out.

That's strange. Maybe it's a generational thing.
My friends (I'm in my 20's) don't like U2 in general but love Beautiful Day. For my generation, I would say it's an anthem on par with One or Pride.
Beautiful Day is crystal-clear top 10 U2 for me.

As i ONLY access this forum by the iphone app, i never see how other ppl are voting. I don't think you can see it on the app. Or can you?

Click on "view poll" in blue at the top of the page.

I guess i understood wrong and expressed wrong what i meant. I meant to say the actual ppl who voted for the songs. Who voted for which song. I know in the desktop it's possible to see.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I guess i understood wrong and expressed wrong what i meant. I meant to say the actual ppl who voted for the songs. Who voted for which song. I know in the desktop it's possible to see.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gotcha, below that is the black title you can click on that takes you to the actual page on the forum, if you haven't voted there should be a "view results" link you can click on that will show you who voted for what. For some reason I don't see the same option once I vote though :slant:

Yeah this is where Moony loses me. There's just no fucking way that's possible.
SkrillexMothership

Beware, bass may drop unexpectedly. I assume it's a place to discuss which wubs should go where. And I'm sure they also run similar best wub survivors. In which case I think "Wub Wub (With All My Wub)" is clearly the best pop wub ballad.

Gotcha, below that is the black title you can click on that takes you to the actual page on the forum, if you haven't voted there should be a "view results" link you can click on that will show you who voted for what. For some reason I don't see the same option once I vote though :slant:

Thanks for your help!

Personally, I don't see the point in making the who-voted-for-what public. If a poster wishes to disclose what they voted for, fine. But making it public seems unnecessary (and a little intrusive). Perhaps Digitize would be kind enough to make the individual votes annonymous?

Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a "Digitize" thing, that's just how the polls work here. And what's the big deal anyway? It doesn't need to be anonymous, it's not we're not voting for Prime Minister. People should have to stand by their bad taste.

The only way to make this voting system accurate is to hide the results. But if that leads to a drop in voting or interest, then I don't know... Until strategic voting and vote changing is completely stopped, these stupid fights will continue. Actually, stupid fights will continue in any case. :wink:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a "Digitize" thing, that's just how the polls work here. And what's the big deal anyway? It doesn't need to be anonymous, it's not we're not voting for Prime Minister. People should have to stand by their bad taste.
It's not really about taste, it's about "I see HMTMKMKM has 24 votes and Beautiful Day only has 22. Better vote for Beautiful Day!" While quietly disregarding Moment of Surrender.

And yes, I probably quoted myself. :wink:

The last 00's remaining song is ready to go.
As it should be.

Why do you have such a hate for their '00's work OpenG ?

There are songs in each decadethat I think are.... meh, i like, i reallly like, i love and I ZOMG for.

I could see maybe if you were loving the 80's work and hating alot/allof the
90's and 00's work. Though I also see elements of their 80's work in their 00's output, and maaaaybe some 90's in their 00's- that I'd have to think about way more.

Hey i'm not a trained musician but i had at least one music apprication course in HS and college, plus i've been reading reviews of music live and recorded for decades. I have a :love: electric guitar that i have to play more. I'd have a bass gutair if I had lots of extra money for a good while.

I see a lot of variety in their 00's work -maybe because I appreciate shades of variety at finer increments than some others- especially[/] the range of variety in NLOTH.

Yeah, it' really makes you wonder how BD managed to go #1 in ten countries, sell in the millions, propel ATYCLB to being of of U2's most successful records and put them back on top, .

To be fair, I reckon Walk On or Stuck would have achieved pretty much the same had one of them been the first single after PoP and received the equal hype that mainstream radio awarded to them.

Beautiful Day was always going to be massive because it was U2 being a "rock" band again.

To be fair, I reckon Walk On or Stuck would have achieved pretty much the same had one of them been the first single after PoP and received the equal hype that mainstream radio awarded to them.

Beautiful Day was always going to be massive because it was U2 being a "rock" band again.

This is kindof contradictory..if BD's only possible outcome was to be massive because it was U2 being a rock band again - for the first time since Pop, I assume? (kindof a wild idea but I digress) - - then there's no way Stuck would have done the had it been the lead single after Pop. Stuck doesn't exactly scream "worlds biggest Rock Band is BACK!!1!11" :lol:

I use that horrible word "rock" very loosely. A more "back to basics" U2. A more friendly to more radio stations U2 than the one who unleashed Discotheque onto bemused radio listeners around the world.

Back
Top Bottom