Best parts in a U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I know we had a thread very similar to this a while ago, but that was a while ago. So I'm bringing it back for the people who missed out, or those who want to stress how good the 30 seconds of some song is.

A few from Achtung Baby (it's all I've got time for at the moment)
Even Better Than The Real Thing 1:30 to 2:05
One 2:20 to 3:40
Until The End of The World 2:30 to 3:40
The Fly - The first chorus, Edge's guitar solo
Ultraviolet 3:15 to 3:55, the second verse
Acrobat 3:30 to the end

Well I can't tell you exactly what time it is on the song but my absolute favourite part of any U2 song is in 'All I want is you'

It's hard to explain but I just love after the second verse when Bono sings 'when all I want is you' I love how deep his voice is on the 'all' part that added to the guitar and the violins kicking in. It's just one of those spine tingling moments that no matter how many times you hear it, it never fails to move you

The break down in I will folllow...those notes, the base, the drums..."Your eyes, make a circle..."

2nd and 3rd verses of like a song

guitar solo in the fly

first verse of until end of the world

The little "maybe the time is right" bridge in New Year's Day that got cut out of the single version AND the live versions. A freaking crime.

In The Unforgettable Fire, towards the end, the climbing melody of the line "... ever after this lovin' time and if you stay..."

The backward message in Your Blue Room, where Bono says, "Come here, corianderstem. You are powerless to resist me."

"love is big, its bigger than us, but love is not what you're thinking of"...and then the shouting/chanting that bono does after, and then the gorgeous transition into streets...nothing finer than that :drool: :drool:

Out of control 03:06 - 03:42 »»» anyone said this...? awesome!

Gloria 03:18 until the end :rockon:

New Year's Day 00:00 - 00:43 I don't :bow: this song but the piano and the bass line must be one of the greatest and more important things they done. Classic.

Like a song 02:45 - 03:30 I Love these lines...

Where the streets have no name 00:00 - 01:50 Greatest U2 Moment. Period.

All I want is you the solo

Bad, Until the end of the world the whole song! In those I can't highlight nothing... :drool: :drool:

The Fly Edge's solo and the rising falsetto... :bow: probably U2's second greatest moment

Zooropa 04:00 until the end... I've always loved these 2 minutes

Stay (faraway, so close) 02:50 - until the end... :sad: :drool: sorry dudes, it completely beats One

Mofo "Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world" Great Line! :rockon:

The Playboy Mansion 01:57 - until the end. :reject: Probably my most strange choice, but gotta go with it.

Kite 02:23 - 03:03 :hug:

New York 04:27 - 05:13

SOmething about the drums on Pride work for me. All the choruses are great, but the last one, like in the UF documentary, I agree with Bono- it sends the song over the edge. The ultimate climax, for me.

I agree, though, that the intro to "Streets" is my defining U2 momnet. That is U2. It is the beginning of the JT, of their excellence. All wrapped into one glorious introduction.

I like, in the live version sof With or Without you, (R&H!!!!), I like it after the main lyric is over, and Edge's guitar picks up, and leads into "Yeah, we'll shine like stars...." Great.

Edge's little leg stompin guitar in Sunday Bloody Sunday is always a highlight.

I'm addicted to PRIDE, though. I had PRIDE put on the side of my highschool ring, which I am wearing at this moment. From the very beginning, it is a heroic and legendary song, and I have always liked it. I only wish the drums came through a little better in the studio version.

But even the last chorus, just before it, when Edge starts his guitar a split second early... I don't know, it just adds to it all, and then the roll, and then it really just takes off. THe backing comes in, and all the layers and melodies come together. I don't know, it's obvious it;s my favorite song, so I guess I don't have to say anymore.

Even the "intermission", the break after Edge's solo going into the final verse, where you can hear an almost silence for a split second.... and then .......... !

I never liked the ending, because I thought it was weak
But then I thought to myself, how can you end the song, how to improve - just finish with one last roll? BUt really.... I think what the album conveys well, and Bono's intentions perhaps, is that the song doesn't end. There is no way to end it.

And then there is the live version(s).......

Lemon (live) -- when Bono backs up Edge sinigng "Midnight, is where the day begins. . ." and then he does that little dance in front of the camera after he takes of the horns. . . so fucking cool!

Bad (live) -- the loop, right at the beginning, when the crowd realizes that their gonna play it next, and they get loud. . . oh man :drool:

With or Without You -- the part near the end, after Bono's 2 "oooh"s, when Edge's gutiar comes back. it's such a simple riff but it sounds really really good. then the gutiar solo!

The Fly -- guitar solo/final chorus. . . 'nuff said

the guitar part blending with bono's voice in the "do you feel loved" chorus ;]

with or without you 3:03

Last edited:
Mother, am I still your son?... Although Mofo is not among my favorite songs, this line rocks!
Also the ''Love is big...'' from Please, ending of ''With or without you'', beginning of the Streets, solo from ''If you wear...'', there's to many of them...

The Fly guitar solo, DEFINTELY! And in End of the World too.

Second verse of In a Little While - Bono's voice just gets me.

Lemon - the piano (but I adore it all)

Bad - when the drums really kick in, I think the drums are amazing in that song

The start of Vertigo - it always gets me hyper!

Love is Blindness - towards the end, the guitar, because it's so dark and after reading Bono saying how Edge was feeling playing it, it's made it extra haunting for me.

the best part in a U2 song, i believe, is when Bono does Running to Stand Still live and sings, "She will suffer the needle chill, she's running to stand ...." then puts a needle into his arm and says, "Ugggh.....still" then he goes into the still running part with the audience which is always great whcih then leads into dirty old town

Back
Top Bottom