BBC version of Electrical Storm IS a demo...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Straight from U2.com:

ELECTRICAL STORM ON THE AIRWAYS
Listen up! The new U2 single, Electrical Storm is set for radio play in the US as early as this week, as soon as production work on the track is finished.
It's being aired sooner than planned after Bono ran into a pal on her wedding day and gave her a demo of the new track as a spontaneous wedding present.
Since Bono's friend is a radio DJ, sharp-eared listeners in the UK have already been treated to the demo.
Keep checking here for more release news as soon as it?s confirmed.

The early airing of Electrical Storm on the BBC makes me wonder if U2 are engaging in a kind of test market review process.

Could U2 have tacitly allowed this DJ to play a demo version of the song to gauge fans reactions so the band could release a more polished, even more radio friendly version?

With a few glaring exceptions, the Salome incident (although I think that was theft), and the Discotheque early demo release, U2's marketing moves tend to be highly choreographed. It would surprise me, if Bono or whomever, gave this single to a DJ as a gift not thinking that she would play it?!

That said, maybe, Bono really is that absentminded. Also, why would U2 release this song so early given the Best of Album is geared for a holiday season release? Is it Christmas in August?

Karl

I was just gonna post about this. Then, to top it off, EDGE 102 in Toronto just played the track for the first time. The version they have is far more polished then the version the BBC aired.

The intro is less jangly, the solo at the end is less clumsy and there is more loud/Achtung baby-ish guitar through the song. It sounds great on the radio and I am pretty sure this will be a big hit.

Keep your ears firmly tuned to your local radio stations. It is just a matter of time before this is in heavy rotation.

Anyway, just a little info.

Peace.

On hitsdailydouble.com it states that 'Electrical Storm' is being shipped this week to all radio formats across the US.

So it looks like the demo leak has caused U2 to change their plans of releasing the single in mid September.

I guess they wanted to make sure the demo would not be getting radioplay.

Looking forward to hearing the actual final version.

Tomorrow should be exciting!! We get the polished version alomst 3 weeks in advance!! Possibly choregraphed, hard to say, bc wouldn't they need more than 3-4 days to fix it if fans thought it wasn't that good and therefore it would have been played almost 2 weeks ago. My guess, they want to nip this in the bud with the polished version to prevent play of the demo which might turn some people off if they don't like it!!

This is fun!

zoocarolina said:
wouldn't they need more than 3-4 days to fix it if fans thought it wasn't that good and therefore it would have been played almost 2 weeks ago. My guess, they want to nip this in the bud with the polished version to prevent play of the demo which might turn some people off if they don't like it!!

I agree.

And yes.. i'm freaking excited and I want to hear the real final version... jeez people!

I guess it should be on u2log soon.

karl said:
That said, maybe, Bono really is that absentminded.

Yes he is. If you have the book At The End Of The World, you can read the story of the Frank Sinatra duet. Basically, Bono got a demo tape with Sinatra's vocals and a stand-in for himself. He put the tape in the glove compartment of his car, lended the car to a friend and forgot the tape. A while later his friend returns the car (only a couple of days before Bono's supposed to deliver the vocals for the duet) and tells Bono about the great tape in his car. Bono's reaction: "Oh, that's where I'd put it!"
In short, don't count on Bono remembering physical objects (there are many more stories in that book about Bono forgetting things and the reaction of the rest of the band to it).

Also, why would U2 release this song so early given the Best of Album is geared for a holiday season release? Is it Christmas in August?

While the Best Of may be geared to the holiday season that does not mean that the single has to be. The single should promote the album and create a build up for it, so it has to be released in advance. But with Bono's absent mindedness the release schedule has been put forward, which may be harmful to the effectiveness of the total promotion.
Not that I'm complaining, because we get to hear the new U2 single soon, very soon (and I hope to find it (an MP3 of it that is) within the next hour or so).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom