Apple - U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxpouliot

War Child
At what time is the conference in San Jose? Cos i read this in an article this morning :

Apple
Computer is expected later this week to introduce a black iPod,
pre-loaded with U2’s forthcoming CD release “ How to Dismantle an
Atomic Bomb.” .The songs will be available on Apple’s iTunes service 1 month before the release of the album

i think there's gonna be an announcement about this today!

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Yep, I've no doubt this won't happen. It'll all just be to do with the U2 I-Pod nothing else. I hope I'm wrong, but we've had too many false starts with this record and I'm sure this'll be another one.

I do think the album will become available on download on I-Tunes at some point, a week before the CD release at the most I'd have thought.

I have mixed feelings about whether or not I want them to release it on i-tunes early. Sure I would love to have the songs, but it is fun to buy a brand new cd and pop it in. I also am concerned about how much it would effect cd sales. On the other hand, digital sales is probably the way of the future and it would be great if U2 was one of the first pioneers. The bottom line is if it sells 2 million digitally and 3 million on cd, it still sells 5 million, even though it will not be certified x5 platinum.

agree, maybe some new songs on itunes, like the 4 they will preview on CSI...i'm uneasy about the early itunes thing too, wither way, can't wait for the new album!

I think U2 will lose 5% of CD sales if the new album became available on Itunes. But they would make up that 5% with a huge amount of digital sales. If I were to download the new album today, I would still buy the cd when it comes out.

starsgoblue said:
I don't feel the album will be released to iTunes early....the amount of illegal downloading would be monstrous.

Except, the album may leak anyway. Once it gets a couple weeks from the release date, there will be millions of copies being manufactured and shipped around. If they release to i-tunes a month early, at least they will make money vs an illegal leak 2 weeks before.

Not saying they will go through with this, but it may not be as bad of a business idea as it seems at first.

Do we really want an early release? Isn't part of the excitement the actual waiting for a date? Seriously, I love these times of anticipation and wondering? How often do we get these - once every 3 or 4 years? Maybe even longer, depending on how long before the next one arrives.

I guess it's a bittersweet feeling. Yes, I would love to be listening to the entire album now but at the same time I love the anticipation, the little leaks, the arguments (over the cover of the album, no less - which I have enjoyed both sides of as well).

It's like someone's wedding, specially a big one that is carefully planned. Preparations are made, so many people are involved, so many moving parts. Then, the day comes and it's done.

I love THIS time - the time of waiting. Sometimes when I'm at a line at the DMV and I'm next, I let the person behind me go ahead just so I can further savor the moment that I'm next. Okay, maybe that was too dramatic. :huh:

My point is...these next 26 days are going to be amazing as the events slowly unfold. What more do U2 have in store for us fans? What other surprises are there? Come on, you have to admit that the banjo version of Vertigo at least made you go...huh??? :scratch:

Let's delight in these coming moments, shall we?

One more thing, think of the press this would get them. But I do agree with ADecentMelody, we will lose some of the excitement. But once that initial excitement fades, all that matters is the songs we are left with.

Well, we need to find someone who wins that Ipod with the U2 pre-loaded, because with a program like PodUtil, you can put mp3s from your ipod onto your PC. Which means we might be hearing these songs a little sooner than anticipated!

i still believe it won't happen, but i just had a thought:

maybe this is why U2 is supposedly accepting corporate sponsorship for the tour, because they're afraid of losing money on cd sales.

but what do i know, lol.

i wish i shared that optimism, but after waiting for Solar on March 8th, and then the Indie 103.1 fiasco, it's hard to be positive about anything dealing with the word "early".

i really hope it doesnt come out on iTunes.
i'm really looking forward to a proper release date where i can go buy a cd, sit down with it and listen.
i want a physical album in my hands that i can actually hold and put in a CD player and read through a booklet.

downloading takes a lot of that excitement away i think... its almost "cheap" (although guarantees it won't be on iTunes!)

digsy said:
i really hope it doesnt come out on iTunes.
i'm really looking forward to a proper release date where i can go buy a cd, sit down with it and listen.
i want a physical album in my hands that i can actually hold and put in a CD player and read through a booklet.

downloading takes a lot of that excitement away i think... its almost "cheap" (although guarantees it won't be on iTunes!)

Then don't download it. You can wait.

Back
Top Bottom