a question about versions of Hands That Built America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Is the version in the Best Of DVD the same as the movie version? I saw Gangs of New York a couple weeks ago and it sounded different to me, but I don't have the soundtrack.

I've heard that the movie version has a violin in it, to evoke a more traditional Irish sound. I haven't heard it, however. I haven't been to the movie yet.

verte76 said:
I've heard that the movie version has a violin in it, to evoke a more traditional Irish sound. I haven't heard it, however. I haven't been to the movie yet.

:happy: GO! Now!

:lol: j/k

But seriously...All should see it!

There are 3 versions - 1 on the Best of CD, a different one on the DVD (sounds like their first run through, sorry guys but it kinda sucks), and then the one on the Gangs soundtrack CD (which I assume is what is played at the end). The video for Hands uses the vocals and video clips from the Best Of dvd- very poor choice IMHO. The soundtrack version is heavenly, xylophones are barely noticeable and sooooo much more with the violins - love it!

But warning - I spent $14 for the soundtrack cd and the rest of it is awful or really weird. I believe the single will be released in february.

bonosloveslave said:
There are 3 versions - 1 on the Best of CD, a different one on the DVD (sounds like their first run through, sorry guys but it kinda sucks), and then the one on the Gangs soundtrack CD (which I assume is what is played at the end). The video for Hands uses the vocals and video clips from the Best Of dvd- very poor choice IMHO. The soundtrack version is heavenly, xylophones are barely noticeable and sooooo much more with the violins - love it!

But warning - I spent $14 for the soundtrack cd and the rest of it is awful or really weird. I believe the single will be released in february.

:| Yeah, I've heard that the soundtrack isnt' spectacular. But I DID see the movie and some of the folk songs and stuff were good.

actually... there are 4 versions...

1) Best of CD
2) Best of DVD
3) Gangs of New York Soundtrack
4) Gangs of New York Movie (yet a different mix altogher!)

Scarletwine said:
Original Sound Track.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....:lol:

Does anyone have the movie version? It's my favorite of the versions I have heard so far...of course, I haven't heard the soundtrack version yet *runs off to download it*

Yay! I knew the movie version was a lot better than the original. :hyper: I wanna get the OST, but as bonosloveslave says, the other tracks aren't that good.

if you like irish folk music, the rest of the tracks are just fine. The version on the soundtrack is in fact the version played in the movie. The difference is they play a little snippet of just the violinn part, then the full orchestra blasts and bono going "ahhh ahhh america" in at a huge volume as the moive ends. Very dramatic, very cool... perfect ending to a great movie. Left one of those "damn that was good" feelings in my stomach at the end. The big dramatic orchestra blast, which is actually a loop of the end of the soundtrack version, cuts away after about 3-4 minutes, and it seamlesly flows right into the full soundtrack version, lyrics and all. But I do agree... the whole scene in general was simply breathtaking. I don't want to ruin the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet, but the way Scorsese tied past tragedy into present tragedy quite simply brought a tear to my eye... the fact that U2's playing in the background as this was happening just makes it all the better.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
if you like irish folk music, the rest of the tracks are just fine. The version on the soundtrack is in fact the version played in the movie. The difference is they play a little snippet of just the violinn part, then the full orchestra blasts and bono going "ahhh ahhh america" in at a huge volume as the moive ends. Very dramatic, very cool... perfect ending to a great movie. Left one of those "damn that was good" feelings in my stomach at the end. The big dramatic orchestra blast, which is actually a loop of the end of the soundtrack version, cuts away after about 3-4 minutes, and it seamlesly flows right into the full soundtrack version, lyrics and all. But I do agree... the whole scene in general was simply breathtaking. I don't want to ruin the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet, but the way Scorsese tied past tragedy into present tragedy quite simply brought a tear to my eye... the fact that U2's playing in the background as this was happening just makes it all the better.

:yes: I really DO like Irish folk music, so maybe I ought to buy it...:hmm:

Yes, the end of the movie made me :sad: :sad: :sad:

So good!!!

The end of Gangs of New York is simply breathtaking... even if you didn't know anyone who died in 9/11, it's still an absolutely tremendous cinematic moment. I recomend it to anyone... even if you didnt' like the entire Gangs of New York movie as a whole, the last 10-15 minutes it's self is worth the price of admission, especially considering that the last words of Bill "The Butcher" really were his last words. Tie it in with 9/11, simply breathtaking to watch. If Scorsese doesn't win the best director Oscar, something's wrong.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
The end of Gangs of New York is simply breathtaking... even if you didn't know anyone who died in 9/11, it's still an absolutely tremendous cinematic moment. I recomend it to anyone... even if you didnt' like the entire Gangs of New York movie as a whole, the last 10-15 minutes it's self is worth the price of admission, especially considering that the last words of Bill "The Butcher" really were his last words. Tie it in with 9/11, simply breathtaking to watch. If Scorsese doesn't win the best director Oscar, something's wrong.

:yes:

:shrug: Well, the movie was long and I was able to sit there for three hours in those slightly-uncomfortable theater chairs so I figure I really DID enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom