A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bean Skidds said:

I'll fifth this sentiment. It sums it up pretty well for me also. The songs on Bomb arent bad, they just leave me feeling completely empty. Crumbs and OOTS are probably the songs on this cd that have the most impact for me.

Im also afraid that U2 seem to not know a great song when they have it in their grasp anymore. And they also seem to "sterilize" their songs in an attempt to make a nice clean single, rather than a truly interesting or unique song.

An example of this: Native Son, for me, is about 10x more interesting than Vertigo. Vertigo is overly-distilled, and works great as a catchy single for the radio, but quickly loses its staying power. Just listen to Native Son, and tell me that its not more interesting than Vertigo.

And how about Edge's vocal on Native Son? Its fantastic.. What could be the argument for getting rid of that? Im just afraid u2 is losing their sense of what makes their music great. Native Son was a finished song, or darn near to it.

I would also argue that "Smile" was a nearly finished song, and a great one at that. Bono really grabs you in that song, in a way that he doesnt on nearly all of the released Bomb songs. Luckily for us they gave us the Complete U2 on itunes, or we'd never have heard it.

Having been a fan for 17 years, it hasnt been easy for me to figure out why U2 is losing me lately. But I think Im on to something here.

I spend more time listening to the outtakes than I do listening to the released cd.

I agree with this and the piece that you quoted.

There's really nothing wrong with the songs themselves - the writing (musically-speaking) is as good as it's ever been, it's just that the newer stuff doesn't make you feel as much as it used to, which is why I don't think of HTDAAB as a bad album, but it's definitely missing that 'something' that could have made it great.

Totally disagree. Not their greatest or among their greatest, but certainly not forgettable.

1. Vertigo - 9/10. I think people got jaded by this song from over playing and the iTunes commercial. But this will be forever up there among the pantheon of great U2 songs alongside Streets and I Will Follow. Yes, Native Son was probably better, but the riff and the bridge are things of beauty.

2. Miracle Drug - 5/10. This song is utterly forgettable though; Bomb's equivalent to Peace On Earth. It feels like half a song to me, lots of build up but no pay off in the chorus. With a hook, it could've been great. It falls flat. And it doesn't flow at all from Vertigo.

3. Sometimes - 8/10. A little too sparse musically to rate any higher, but the raw emotion of this song is almost over powering. It is over powering if your own experience shares that of the subject matter. I can't listen to this song.

4. LAPOE - 6.5/10. Bomb's Bullet; in subject matter, tempo, and tone; but doesn't have the sonic punch that Bullet does and lacks the pop hook of SBS. Still, this should have opened the album and the tour; would've given it a much stronger impact.

5. COBL - 8.5/10. Exceptional song that may stand the test of time. I'm surprised though that it didn't achieve the level live that I thought it would. I expected much more crowd participation on "Oh You Look So Beautiful Tonight". Lyrically it's kind of weak, and I'm not a huge slide guitar fan; but the vocals, non-slide parts, and rhythm section pull it off.

6. ABOY - 7/10. The sequel to EBTTRT. Love the guitar, hate the Who-ish hook. Live it's boring.

7. AMAAW - 7/10. Not a favorite because I'm not that fond of this style of music. Bono's best vocal effort on the album though and Adam shines.

8. Cumbs - 8/10. Great song. Nothing spectacular, nothing exceptionally flashy, just a catchy rock song. Nothing wrong with that.

9. One Step Closer - 1/10. Utter waste of bandwidth.

10. Original Of The Species - 9/10. This is a beauty and again could be up there among their best. The non over produced album version is a simple song yet in parts can provide chills like the best U2 songs can. Edge at his finest. If the lyrics had more directly focused on Edge's daughter, or at least about a girl growing into her own, it might've given it the emotional punch to get to 10/10. As it is, it's a great song.

11. Yahweh. 8/10. This is a beautiful sweeping song. The best lyrics on the album and an excellent vocal performance. It's utterly ruined by the mix and production.

So, breaking it down:

Three classics: Vertigo, COBL, Oots
Three greats: Somtimes, Crumbs, Yahweh
Three good songs: AMAAW, LAPOE, ABOY
and two throw aways: Miracle Drug and OSC

That makes for over all a very strong album. For me, there hasn't been an album since AB that boasts such a break down:

ATYCLB: Has the classics, but then goes right to the throw aways
Pop: Lots of good to great songs, lots of throw aways, lacks classics
Zooropa: Mostly throw away.

Michael Griffiths said:

Wow, once again, I agree word for word with every last thing in this post. Bizarre. 'Crumbs' was U2 at their most loose. They were drunk, and not that I think U2 should write songs drunk, but it just goes to show that they might need to just sort of "let go" a bit of their agendas. I also think 'Smile' is the one song I've heard from those sessions that grabbed me -- and I mean, REALLY grabbed me. It's not just sincerity; it's sincerity without self consciousness....it's truth without aiming for truth....like thinking without making thoughts your aim (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). That's the U2 I miss sometimes.

Perfectly stated, love the abstraction! .... truth without aiming for the truth.. thinking without making thoughts your aim.. this is what they have always been the absolute masters of when writing their best material.. and what I feel they have been somewhat losing touch of lately...

Last edited:
The first time I heared HTDAAB I thought 'Yes, this is finally the U2 I have been waiting for 13 years'. Achtung Baby was the album that made me a U2 fan in 1991. My fandom began to decline with the release of Pop, an album that has never grown on me. I still only like about 5 songs of the album and 'doesn't make me feel' anything. I was becoming less interested in the things U2 were doing. The release of ATYCLB didn't change a bit: again there was a U2 album that had only 5 songs that were good imo.

In my opinion HTDAAB was a whole other story. Although I have to admit it lacks a good flow and doesn't breath atmosphere, it has 11 songs that I liked more or less at first hearing. This album made me interested in U2 again: a couple of months before its release I began searching for U2 news on the web and discovered interference.com. I even began listening again to Boy, October, War and Pop, albums I didn't listen to in years.

Two years later I still like the majority of the songs and rank the album 4th (after AB, TJT, TUF). I admit U2 sounds a little bit too much like U2 on HTDAAB, but what's the problem with that?! There are so many praised artists who always sounds the same (Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young etc.). Only when they will repeat themselves on their next album, I'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
Marko said:

No I'm NOT!!!
Statistics is mother of all lies!!! :) If the pool includes less than 1000 people questioned than It can not be valid...

*I'm just trying to validate myself*

You are quite disarming arent you :wink:

Re:

"only few people say that HTDAAB say that it's exceptional while majority agree it's mediocre and a lot of people think it's at the bottom of U2's work up to date"

I may quote statistics but that's better than quoting made up shite :wink:

roy said:

You are quite disarming arent you :wink:

Re:

"only few people say that HTDAAB say that it's exceptional while majority agree it's mediocre and a lot of people think it's at the bottom of U2's work up to date"

I may quote statistics but that's better than quoting made up shite :wink:

than thank god that my words are not shite so you don't have to worry about that :wink:

man...I allready thought that that rant of mine is already forgoten...not that it's false but still :mac:

And the thread still up... propulsioned by a weak starting-post with no much fundament...

I only find amazing how some folks still believe that their opinion is the imperial truth and how they claim it to be... it's sooo funny!:giggle: They really believe in it, and then they almost make the others believe in it too!

MattyUK said:
Personally I enjoy all album songs played live a hell of a lot more! The edge with his "edgey" gutair solos, bono puts extra words in ! love it all.

Well said. U2 are usually ten times better live.

As for Bomb. I think it's pretty mediocre bar Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, and Love and Peace. But songs like Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table...I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Miracle drug falled flat on its feet. When i 1st heard it i thought this be the song everyone would be talking about for years to come.

vaz02 said:
Miracle drug falled flat on its feet. When i 1st heard it i thought this be the song everyone would be talking about for years to come.

I thought it was amazing at first, but I was also in denial that U2 couldn't make a bad song.

Love and Peace is excellent live and a highlight of the Vertigo Tour...and it is a great album...problem is that U2 are dealing with people that have nothing but naustalgia from the time that they got into U2 which by default is when U2 was best.

tonyhotland said:
oh, are we still in 2004?

:madspit: :censored: :rant:

No...in 2004, people were giving this album...umm...how can I put this...

Oral pleasure.

But, as is usual for interference, the criticism starts right when folks start to get antsy for a new release. It's like clockwork. :up:

Last edited:
I disagree with the original post. I think Bomb is an excellent record, I would only put in behind ATYCLB, Acthung baby and JT.

Vertigo - Powerhouse rocker.... will live on in memory
Miracle Drug - Grossly underrated on this forum, i think its a fantastic song.
Sometimes.... - absolute classic... the vocals and guitar are great
LAPOE - Love it.... excellent solo and just a great tune
COBL - This song cant be praised enough... everything about it is great
ABOY - Not exceptional, but good enough....
AMAAW - Never like this song.....
CFYT - Good stuff from edge, and i agree with an earlier post saying u2 should write what they feel like writing
OSC - Beautiful little gem... this song is excellent
OOTS - WOW! This song has really grown on me in the past few months.... wasnt a big fan earlier but now its one of my favorites of the album
Yahweh - A great song to close out the album... wheter its the album version, the alternate or live, this song is a winner.

This album is funny cuz it's the only U2 album where I cannot, for the life of me, get lost in! I can't kick back and relax to it, nor can I get down and rock out to it! It's the same thing everytime! I slip in the CD, Vertigo starts, the drum intro/guitar feedback intro gets me pumped...and then Bono kills the mood with his tourettes Syndrome outbursts. I can't even get past the first chorus without getting annoyed. Seriously, I find the song quite intrusive. So I'll skip to Miracle Drug. Boring. Nothing hooking me in. But I'll give it a chance. Cool guitar solo. Best (and the only interesting) part of the song. By the time the songs over, I curse myself for having wasted 3-4 minutes of life on this horrendous song. So comes track #3, and I swear I can't take it anymore. I want to rock, dammit! I remember "Love and Peace or Else" had rock-ability. Can't get past the intro. It's long and boring and by the time the intro's over my patience is run dry. Same for City Of Blinding Lights. The starting highpitched note in ABOY has probably left me closer to deafness, and the rest of the song is cheezy baby-music. If you're going to leave me deaf with a jarring, "too loud on purpose" guitar intro, at least make sure your song rocks hardcore, cuz then it would've been worth it. AMAAW at least has drive to it, the first song that sparks my interest. Too bad the chorus is awful and contrived. U2 decide to pull back from the ominous romantic abyss they were conjuring up, and instead decide to write a top 40 hit for Rod Stewart. One Step Closer can go to Hell. OOTS is decent but I'm too disappointed at this point to care. The USA should use the song Yahweh as a torture device when dealing with terrorists. They'll give up the world if faced with hearing that song again.

The only song I like is Crumbs, and not for the lyrics. I dig the atmosphere. But my finger hurts from pressing the skip button so many times to get to it, I'll probably only listen to it 4 times a year. Poor Crumbs.

LemonMelon said:

No...in 2004, people were giving this album...umm...how can I put this...

Oral pleasure.

But, as is usual for interference, the criticism starts right when folks start to get antsy for a new release. It's like clockwork. :up:

There were plenty voices of dislike too. I wonder how Bomb will do once the new album is out - ATYCLB did a almost miracle recovery, it was bashed almost as much as Bomb early on and now it's being praised after Bomb is out.

ozeeko said:
This album is funny cuz it's the only U2 album where I cannot, for the life of me, get lost in! I can't kick back and relax to it, nor can I get down and rock out to it! It's the same thing everytime! I slip in the CD, Vertigo starts, the drum intro/guitar feedback intro gets me pumped...and then Bono kills the mood with his tourettes Syndrome outbursts. I can't even get past the first chorus without getting annoyed. Seriously, I find the song quite intrusive. So I'll skip to Miracle Drug. Boring. Nothing hooking me in. But I'll give it a chance. Cool guitar solo. Best (and the only interesting) part of the song. By the time the songs over, I curse myself for having wasted 3-4 minutes of life on this horrendous song. So comes track #3, and I swear I can't take it anymore. I want to rock, dammit! I remember "Love and Peace or Else" had rock-ability. Can't get past the intro. It's long and boring and by the time the intro's over my patience is run dry. Same for City Of Blinding Lights. The starting highpitched note in ABOY has probably left me closer to deafness, and the rest of the song is cheezy baby-music. If you're going to leave me deaf with a jarring, "too loud on purpose" guitar intro, at least make sure your song rocks hardcore, cuz then it would've been worth it. AMAAW at least has drive to it, the first song that sparks my interest. Too bad the chorus is awful and contrived. U2 decide to pull back from the ominous romantic abyss they were conjuring up, and instead decide to write a top 40 hit for Rod Stewart. One Step Closer can go to Hell. OOTS is decent but I'm too disappointed at this point to care. The USA should use the song Yahweh as a torture device when dealing with terrorists. They'll give up the world if faced with hearing that song again.

The only song I like is Crumbs, and not for the lyrics. I dig the atmosphere. But my finger hurts from pressing the skip button so many times to get to it, I'll probably only listen to it 4 times a year. Poor Crumbs.

XD Now THAT is a critique! :lol:

Snowlock said:
1. Vertigo - 9/10. I think people got jaded by this song from over playing and the iTunes commercial. But this will be forever up there among the pantheon of great U2 songs alongside Streets and I Will Follow. Yes, Native Son was probably better, but the riff and the bridge are things of beauty.

I'm quoting your comments because I appreciate your eloquence and I agree with most of your overall sentiments. However, there are a few times where opinions differ. For example, while I completely agree with the first few comments above, I disagree with your views regarding "Native Son". I have it, I heard it and I don't think this song is anywhere near as good or as polished as "Vertigo". Nor do I think "Native Son" would have had the impact of a "Vertigo" on this album or tour. In other words, I think people over-praise "Native Son" as it's a great "what if" scenario. But had "Native Son" been released, I feel HTDAAB would have not made nearly the impact it did.

2. Miracle Drug - 5/10. This song is utterly forgettable though; Bomb's equivalent to Peace On Earth. It feels like half a song to me, lots of build up but no pay off in the chorus. With a hook, it could've been great. It falls flat. And it doesn't flow at all from Vertigo.

I would give it a bit higher score, say a 6.5, because I do like the lyrics quite a bit. But the melody and music don't match the potential of the lyrics. This is a rarity, IMO, in U2's music, but it happens.

3. Sometimes - 8/10. A little too sparse musically to rate any higher, but the raw emotion of this song is almost over powering. It is over powering if your own experience shares that of the subject matter. I can't listen to this song.

I rate this song a 6.5 - 7. Again, the lyrics are great and Bono's emotional and outstanding singing work beautifully. But this song lacks the passion I feel when I hear "One", AIWIY or WOWY. Perhaps the pain was too new at the time for Bono to express as he wanted. I often felt we heard more of that emotion for this song in concert than we did on the album. Still, this song is the equivalent to "Stuck in a Moment" to me. A good idea, but not quite there. However, I fully accept and appreciate that many like both "Stuck" and "Sometimes".

4. LAPOE - 6.5/10. Bomb's Bullet; in subject matter, tempo, and tone; but doesn't have the sonic punch that Bullet does and lacks the pop hook of SBS. Still, this should have opened the album and the tour; would've given it a much stronger impact.

This is where I disagree. I give this song a 9 - matching the power of "Vertigo". I felt it's one of the highlights of the album and one of U2's best in recent times - even surpassing songs on U2's classics, like "Bullet". I never liked "Bullet" on JT and would either skip the track or actually stopped playing JT when "Bullet" came on. I know "Bullet" turned out the way U2 wanted, but it just didn't appeal to me. I feel "Love and Peace" far better captures that sentiment and I love just about everything in the song. It was also a concert highlight for me and I hope it remains in future shows.

5. COBL - 8.5/10. Exceptional song that may stand the test of time. I'm surprised though that it didn't achieve the level live that I thought it would. I expected much more crowd participation on "Oh You Look So Beautiful Tonight". Lyrically it's kind of weak, and I'm not a huge slide guitar fan; but the vocals, non-slide parts, and rhythm section pull it off.

I disagree with your lyrical comment. Sometimes I think people expect too much from Bono's lyrics or a the lyrics in a rock/pop song. "With or Without You" has very weak lyrics, yet the song works on many levels. This is true here too. The song is lyrically stronger than many of U2's other works and the hook is fantastic. Still, you gave it a high score, and I agree. I might have gone to a 9, but it is reminiscent of "Streets" (which I'm not sure was intentional or not).

6. ABOY - 7/10. The sequel to EBTTRT. Love the guitar, hate the Who-ish hook. Live it's boring.

Love the guitar and Who-ish hook. I give it an 8 and feel it's better than EBTTRT, which I felt was a bit of a throwaway song on many levels. However, in concert, neither ABOY or EBTTRT lived up to the hype of the album, IMO. It's unfortunate too. Perhaps if U2 sped up these songs a bit when in concert, they'd click more.

7. AMAAW - 7/10. Not a favorite because I'm not that fond of this style of music. Bono's best vocal effort on the album though and Adam shines.

I give this a 5. I felt this was a bit of a useless song. Still, I'd include it on the album. Every album needs a song that's not quite as strong as others, but that some may still love. I feel this is the equivalent to "Trip through Your Wires" - the love it/hate it song of the album.

8. Crumbs - 8/10. Great song. Nothing spectacular, nothing exceptionally flashy, just a catchy rock song. Nothing wrong with that.

I like the lyrics, but musically I score it lower. More of a 7.

9. One Step Closer - 1/10. Utter waste of bandwidth.

Can't agree more here. This song, if anything, should have been the b-side to "Sometimes". Including this song on the album is what's keeping "Bomb" from the heights of some of their past "masterpieces". Had "Mercy" appeared here, the album might have been near "perfect" for me.

10. Original Of The Species - 9/10. This is a beauty and again could be up there among their best. The non over produced album version is a simple song yet in parts can provide chills like the best U2 songs can. Edge at his finest. If the lyrics had more directly focused on Edge's daughter, or at least about a girl growing into her own, it might've given it the emotional punch to get to 10/10. As it is, it's a great song.

I agree with all you wrote, except that I'd drop the score to an 8 as I don't feel it's as strong as "Vertigo" or "Love & Peace".

11. Yahweh. 8/10. This is a beautiful sweeping song. The best lyrics on the album and an excellent vocal performance. It's utterly ruined by the mix and production.

I don't hear the "mix and production" errors you state, but I love this song and felt it was one of U2's best closers in years, and that includes some of U2's masterpieces. U2 tend to close albums softly (JT, AB, ATYCLB), while "Yahweh" ends the album on a promising, hopeful, uplifting tone, which I dearly appreciated. For that reason alone, I go up to 8.5.

Overall, HTDAAB still ranks as one of my favorite U2 albums, behind AB and UF. But as you wrote in your post, you didn't really seem to care for "Zooropa" much, while I did. Which just proves that despite our relative agreement on "Bomb", we can still disagree quite a bit on other U2 albums. Hence, this makes the very point of this entire thread moot. ;)

Last edited:
U2girl said:

There were plenty voices of dislike too. I wonder how Bomb will do once the new album is out - ATYCLB did a almost miracle recovery, it was bashed almost as much as Bomb early on and now it's being praised after Bomb is out.

Well, some of us are consistent.

I wasn't a huge fan of JT in 1987 (although I appreciated it as one of the best albums of the year and loved that it catipulted U2 to stardom) and I'm not a big JT fan now. The album has its moments, but I never felt it was this glowing "Holy Grail" of albums that most claim.

And I feel I've been pretty consistent on "Bomb" too.

The only album where I've changed my mind is "Pop". When it was released, I enjoyed it. But time has not worn well on "Pop" and it has quickly faded from my mind. I know the "Pop" fans will disagree, but this is just my view.

So from that perspective, I can accept that the hype of a new album creates "love" for it - but that over time, people's views can change.

ozeeko said:

You summed it up pretty well as to how I feel about this album when I'm in the mood to rock. Of course when I'm in a mellower mood, I find myself enjoying songs like Sometimes and Miracle Drug more.

doctorwho said:

Well, some of us are consistent.

I wasn't a huge fan of JT in 1987 (although I appreciated it as one of the best albums of the year and loved that it catipulted U2 to stardom) and I'm not a big JT fan now. The album has its moments, but I never felt it was this glowing "Holy Grail" of albums that most claim.

And I feel I've been pretty consistent on "Bomb" too.

The only album where I've changed my mind is "Pop". When it was released, I enjoyed it. But time has not worn well on "Pop" and it has quickly faded from my mind. I know the "Pop" fans will disagree, but this is just my view.

So from that perspective, I can accept that the hype of a new album creates "love" for it - but that over time, people's views can change.

Of course they can. That is not to say some opinions never change, too. :shrug:

For me, the albums that faded a bit are Bomb and ATYLCB, where growers were Zooropa, UF and War. Also Pop in some places.

This thread is fine for the most part, but I've noticed a few insults along the way towards each other. Could we please be respectful of the opinions of others? I adore this album and disagree with a lot that has been said, but it doesn't give me the right to insult people.

wolfwill23 said:
The first time I saw U2 was ZooTV in Las Vegas, 1992. I did not like U2 at the time and went to see Public Enemy. But when U2 took the stage, they blew me away. The next day I bought Achtung.

Then came Zooropa and Pop and U2 started to doubt themselves. Now, they're putting out dentist office music that rivals the Goo Goo Dolls.

As for Bomb, it stinks really. The only truly good song (a song that you'll listen to in 10 years and just go, wow-like almost ALL of Achtung) is City of Blinding Lights. That song is close to Streets and is brilliant.

However, the rest of the album is weak (at best), containing whiny songs that are easily forgettable.

1. Vertigo-Fun song, but c'mon, this song will not stand the test of time.
2. Miracle Drug-A whiny, annoying tune. I have started to cringe when listning to it.
3. SYCMIOYO-The tune and lyrics (including title) feel clunky and forced. The only thing saving this one is the opera and the subject matter.
4. LAPOE-So so song. Edge sounds cool but other than that, it's just kind of lame. Even stinks in concert.
5. COBL-Amazing song. This song is a timeless classic. Wow.
6. ABOY-'A love song to The Who?' Pu-lease! The song is cheesy and a weak attempt at a rock song.
7. AMAAW-Now we're getting into the painful part of the record. I'd rather listen to Paris Hilton's new single than this turd. What the hell were they thinking?
8. Crumbs-Oh my gosh, this is the worst ever. Talk about whiny! Yes, Africa needs help. But don't bother me with that in your music! And if you do, at least make a good song! It hurts me that this song made the final cut. (Especially when Mercy didn't!)
9. OSC-Forgettable atmospheric tune.
10. OOTS-Great song. Not quite on par with COBL, but a great tune.
11. Yaweh-Yawn.

I know they're getting older, but it's a shame to sit down and realize that this band doesn't have a lot of gas left in the tank. I hope with the new album they go off and try some new things. I don't think records should be left-overs from other albums but rather an cohesive experience from start to finish.

Thanks for the good tunes U2 and I hope the next one is something memorable. Best of luck.

I can't agree!! Being a U2-fan since 1986, I think the HTDAAB has become a fairly good album with lots of exciting songs and lyrics, and they showed us they have new ideas! In a way they wanted to go back to their "origins' and I think they succeed! Anyway, for me the less powerful U2-album was Pop, but must admit that I became get on well with that era, as well....

"BOMB sucks!! sounds like something a band like (matchbox 20) or (the goo goo dolls) would make !! your average pop rock shit!!
ITS OVER BABY!!"

Wow, not even close haha.

doctorwho said:
I disagree with your views regarding "Native Son". I have it, I heard it and I don't think this song is anywhere near as good or as polished as "Vertigo". Nor do I think "Native Son" would have had the impact of a "Vertigo" on this album or tour. In other words, I think people over-praise "Native Son" as it's a great "what if" scenario. But had "Native Son" been released, I feel HTDAAB would have not made nearly the impact it did.

I agree regarding the tour and even Vertigo's album presence and Single viability over NS. But NS has that "FREEEEEEEE" part with Edge hitting the power cords in the background and I don't think Veritigo can beat that.

I rate this song a 6.5 - 7. Again, the lyrics are great and Bono's emotional and outstanding singing work beautifully. But this song lacks the passion I feel when I hear "One", AIWIY or WOWY. Perhaps the pain was too new at the time for Bono to express as he wanted.

Maybe to get the emotional impact of this song, you need to go through it. My hope: you never get the emotional impact of this song.

This is where I disagree. I give this song a 9 - matching the power of "Vertigo". I felt it's one of the highlights of the album and one of U2's best in recent times - even surpassing songs on U2's classics, like "Bullet". I never liked "Bullet" on JT and would either skip the track or actually stopped playing JT when "Bullet" came on. I know "Bullet" turned out the way U2 wanted, but it just didn't appeal to me. I feel "Love and Peace" far better captures that sentiment and I love just about everything in the song. It was also a concert highlight for me and I hope it remains in future shows.

I never liked Bullet either but I think it's the stronger song of the two. I think maybe for me it's the solo... Edge's two alternating notes isn't as dramatic as the solo in Bullet. The Bullet delivers it's message more poetically or abstractly and that gives it a more dramatic feel. Musically I prefer LAPOE, but I like watching Bullet more. Sheesh that makes no sense. Maybe I'll just have to make them a tie.

I disagree with your lyrical comment. Sometimes I think people expect too much from Bono's lyrics or a the lyrics in a rock/pop song. "With or Without You" has very weak lyrics, yet the song works on many levels. This is true here too. The song is lyrically stronger than many of U2's other works and the hook is fantastic. Still, you gave it a high score, and I agree. I might have gone to a 9, but it is reminiscent of "Streets" (which I'm not sure was intentional or not).

I see this alot that people think WOWY has weak lyrics. Personally I've never felt that. But perhaps it's because the sum of those lyrics equal a powerful message. COBL doesn't really have a message. Fantastic hook though.

Love the guitar and Who-ish hook. I give it an 8 and feel it's better than EBTTRT, which I felt was a bit of a throwaway song on many levels. However, in concert, neither ABOY or EBTTRT lived up to the hype of the album, IMO. It's unfortunate too. Perhaps if U2 sped up these songs a bit when in concert, they'd click more.

Agree regarding EBTTRT, though I have heard some excellent live versions; one that quickly comes to mind is Zooropa Dublin. I never heard a good version of ABOY really. I think that's because the best part of ABOY is that first layer of guitar that the tracks opens with after that first note. But live that guitar part is omitted. Even if they had to pipe it in, similar to the dual guitars in Gone; I think it would've made for a better live experience to have kept the texture of this song intact.

I don't hear the "mix and production" errors you state, but I love this song and felt it was one of U2's best closers in years, and that includes some of U2's masterpieces. U2 tend to close albums softly (JT, AB, ATYCLB), while "Yahweh" ends the album on a promising, hopeful, uplifting tone, which I dearly appreciated. For that reason alone, I go up to 8.5.

Loved the upbeat closer too. The mix and production... Somehow to me, this big song sounds small. I don't know why, but when the piano and guitar blend together in the opening, it sounds... murky. Like it's a demo, or was recorded in a box or something. This should be a crystal clear song, an big anthem. It should be like Walk On where the guitar just rings through over the piano.

shaun vox said:
BOMB sucks!! sounds like something a band like (matchbox 20) or (the goo goo dolls) would make !! your average pop rock shit!!
ITS OVER BABY!!!

Wow, you must have seriously damaged a blood vessel when ATYCLB came out. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom